JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

To all you who DL anime and manga for free - 06-06-2008, 07:01 AM

TokyoPop, the largest manga seller in the US just announced they are revamping, meaning they are cutting over 1/3 of their staff and the volume of manga they release will be cut by 50%

Late last year Geneon, America's largest anime publisher went out of business.

ADV, America's second largest anime publisher is on the brink of doing the same.

If you read or watch anime or mange free online...please stop.

It's a delicate industry, and if everyone who stole things for free off the Internet actually got their fix through legitimate sources, I am sure this wouldn't be happening.

Next time you decided to read a manga online or watch a stream of a licensed anime, think about those people that lost their jobs partially because you were too lazy to shell out a few bucks to pay for their hard work.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
06-06-2008, 07:07 AM

That sucks, for those who buy all that stuff, although, surprising at the same time.

I read some manga online, but it's stuff that's not licensed in the US in the first place, or a series where I'm anxious to know what happens while waiting on a US release (I've been looking for Voluem 8 of +Anima for a while, even though I have it in reserve when it comes out). With anime, it's usually the same (I'll admit that Naruto Shippuuden is my exception)...stuff without a license, but might have gotten one later on after the Japanese series was done.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
KikiBunny23 (Offline)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to KikiBunny23 Send a message via MSN to KikiBunny23 Send a message via Yahoo to KikiBunny23 Send a message via Skype™ to KikiBunny23
06-06-2008, 07:27 AM

the only time i have read manga online or watched anime was to catch myself up on an episode i missed or something that had confused me in the manga. [i usually borrow my friends manga and when i read the next issue that say i bought i would forget the past issue and get confused.] but usually i buy my manga or watch anime on t.v.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-06-2008, 07:31 AM

I am not asking people to confess or justify their actions. Just know that stealing manga and anime puts people out of jobs, and in the end will reduce the amout of product we get in English.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
06-06-2008, 11:13 AM

For manga, I don't know too many people who download it and not buy it later. It's like Mahou Sensei Negima. AQS puts out scanlations of it, but most of the people on the site go on how they buy what Del Rey puts out too.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
BakaCrisis (Offline)
(。・_・。)σ

Send a message via AIM to BakaCrisis Send a message via MSN to BakaCrisis Send a message via Skype™ to BakaCrisis
06-06-2008, 11:23 AM

Bleh... to hell with it. I would be honored that people give a rats ass about my work/production.... the end result is I still know people like my work. So im going to keep at it. Instead of working for a profit...

Teach me Japanese (Skype: davidh053090 )
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Asakura (Offline)
Training like Ryu.......

06-06-2008, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakaCrisis View Post
Bleh... to hell with it. I would be honored that people give a rats ass about my work/production.... the end result is I still know people like my work. So im going to keep at it. Instead of working for a profit...
Hey Crisis I'm your friend. So let me say you don't seem like the type to be a starving artist.

The fact is dude, is that these people felt the same as you. And now people don't get to see their work AND they don't get to get paid to do what they love. Sounds like a pretty shitty deal to me.

I agree with MMM 100%! You wanna be a REAL fan? You'll put your finances in it if it's really important to you.

Ubi concordia, ibi victoria
(#8 (permalink))
Old
kyo_9 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via Yahoo to kyo_9
06-06-2008, 05:35 PM

wow.. is it that bad.. guest I have to stop reading free now..

LiVe Ur LiFe
Don't do drugs!

(#9 (permalink))
Old
Tturtle (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-06-2008, 06:27 PM

I have a few friends who read online. I wish I had the guts to forward them MMM's first post... but I don't.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Tsukii (Offline)
New to JF

06-06-2008, 07:16 PM

Nooo!!! Tokyopop cant shut down! Thats where most of my manga comes from. I always buy my manga.
But I will confess I used to watch anime online. But from now on, I will buy that too!