JapanForum.com  

View Poll Results: Do u like subbed, dubbed, or both?
subbed 43 72.88%
both 15 25.42%
dubbed 5 8.47%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
HinataFan3276 (Offline)
My Ninja way

Send a message via Yahoo to HinataFan3276
subbed or dubbed thats the question. - 06-25-2008, 07:32 AM

i dont know if there has been a poll like this before but lets see what the results are this time.

"May Anubis make my thighs firm, so i may stand upon them" (Quote from the book of the dead)
(#2 (permalink))
Old
strawberryshinya (Offline)
The Boy Wonder :)

06-25-2008, 07:59 AM

i used to like dubbed but now im into subbed.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Ultraseven (Offline)
ウルトラセブン

06-25-2008, 08:38 AM

Absolutely Subtitles! Heres why:

a. Often a lot of historical references and meanings are lost in an English dub, whereas with subs you usually get a literal translation.

b. Annoying use of 'extra' words to make a voice fit the lip-synch like "hmm" and "yes", and sometimes additional 'improv' from voice actors.

c. Hearing a persons voice is sometimes integral to understanding an actors portrayal of a character. Often, the dub isn't made by an actor 'feeling' the characters emotion and understanding the story, just someone sitting in a studio reading lines from a script.

d. Hearing an American accent coming from Toshiro Mifune is just wrong.

e. With anime in particular, there is the often the unnecessary addition of swearwords (I remember with the Ghost in the Shell dub, Batou running through a market place shouting "get out of my f***ing way" wheras in the original he is silent. Batou wouldn't be so hot-headed).

f. I sometimes feel a bit patronised when listening to a dubbed film, for example in Spirited Away when Chihiro comes accross a traditional Steaming Bathhouse she literally exclaims "It's a Bathhouse!".

g. Spirited Away is a good example of how dubbing is used to unnecessarily censor a film. Sen shows blood on her hands to the baby Boh, but the dub says its 'Germs', and at the end Yubaba says in the dub that she has a final test for Sen before she is sent home, but in the original Yubaba threatens to tear Haku to pieces. That's Disney for you I guess.

Also, people are immidiately put off watching a film because it is subtitled but I don't understand why. It isn't difficult to read subtitles, and over time it becomes second nature.

Last edited by Ultraseven : 06-25-2008 at 08:41 AM.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
strawberryshinya (Offline)
The Boy Wonder :)

06-25-2008, 08:47 AM

yeah i agree! i just hate the fact that it took me so long to realize! DX
(#5 (permalink))
Old
CrazyLee (Offline)
4th Kyu Aikidoka

Send a message via MSN to CrazyLee Send a message via Skype™ to CrazyLee
06-25-2008, 09:12 AM

More often than not they get the dubbing wrong. I'll have it subbed please, it sounds better.

(#6 (permalink))
Old
emiluvsjmusic (Offline)
JF noob

06-25-2008, 09:31 AM

not only do they get the dubbing wrong, but there usually the dubbed voices are so annoying and out of character!
like naruto, Luffy from one piece, kyo from Suzumiya Haruhi no yuutsu (the melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi) and L from death note
so i vote for subbed!

Death Note fam & Shingami clan
JF family|Emi's Space|Haruhiism
(#7 (permalink))
Old
wolfrainvn (Offline)
Baka baka

Send a message via MSN to wolfrainvn Send a message via Yahoo to wolfrainvn
06-25-2008, 09:58 AM

i prefer the subbed version, because it is more original plus there is full of emmotion in the voice rather than some child whinning voice, however there is some anime where i prefer the dubbed version rather than subbed such as GTO

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

FOR THOSE WHO BELEIVE THAT HEAVEN REALLY EXIST, THERE IS A WAY TO HEAVEN

My JF Family
Brother of ToKyObOxRoBoT, Nightmare
Cousin of Jo_Kittie
Great Grand Father of lollijenn
Uncle of Hentaro
(#8 (permalink))
Old
KikiBunny23 (Offline)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to KikiBunny23 Send a message via MSN to KikiBunny23 Send a message via Yahoo to KikiBunny23 Send a message via Skype™ to KikiBunny23
06-25-2008, 10:16 AM

I prefer subbed but if I start watching it dubbed [take full metal alchemist for example] I would prefer it dubbed because those are the voices I am used to
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Cyasarin (Offline)
Surfer.Chic [no cold! =D]

Send a message via MSN to Cyasarin Send a message via Yahoo to Cyasarin
06-25-2008, 01:54 PM

I'll go with both. They both have their pros and cons. For example, subs [as said] give a lot of historical references and they don't really cut anything out. But for dubs, I don't have to be reading the bottom [because I don't speak any Japanese yet] and miss something important, funny, etc. that happens and it just comes naturally and I could watch it with my mom without her yelling at me because the dub people cut out the more inappropriate things. She actually gets into some shows that I watch around her but when she heard InuYasha say "damn" just one time, she banned it from the house. =/

+ Summer '08 +
[[cause it's gonna be hot]]
(#10 (permalink))
Old
allie2590 (Offline)
I am the White Testament

06-25-2008, 02:39 PM

I'm going to be very honest and say that I like dubbed. I just don't enjoy anime as much when it's subbed. I feel like I can't get into it as much if I am constantly reading subtitles. And I don't find English voices to be that bad. Some of them are pretty bad, but so are some Japanese voices.