(#21 (permalink))
Old
Uriko (Offline)
JF Cereal Killer

11-21-2008, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdSight View Post
And now I'm confused.
OK, let's say you transfer to a new school in the middle of your high school years.

& you're all social, you're making friends, trying to blend in. but everyone's been friends since they were in their freshmen year, or maybe even grade school. so even though you find new friends, there's still something that they share with each other that you will never have.

so you may not be acting like an outcast..but that doesn't necessarily mean you don't feel like one.

But to despair was to wish back for something already lost.
Or to prolong what was already unbearable.

(#22 (permalink))
Old
Keaton421 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-21-2008, 04:21 AM

High school's tough :/

But seriously, you don't have to go to preschool together to be friends. My worst excuses for friends are the ones I've known the longest.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
wilsontheterrible (Offline)
JF Regular

11-21-2008, 05:40 AM

There are only two instances where anyone should feel like an outcast and at a con isnt one of them. Everybody is there to have fun, eat bad con food, and hang out with people that are into the same weird stuff they are. Last con I went to I ended up; playing D&D, dancing with the hotel manager, sneaking my way into one of the luxury suits by pretending to be one of the bellhops, and leading the effort to get the con's band to play "Come Sail Away" getting nearly half the con to burst into song in the process. Con's are nothing but good fun, good friends, and legally questionable good times.

Maybe I just go to a good con but I've always felt perfectly at ease around the people there. I don't cosplay, I can count the number of anime I've watched on one hand, but I've never had a problem getting along with even the most hardcore anime enthusiasts (I actually had a pretty good conversation with a guy dressed up as a mudkip). That being said I will advise you avoid crossdressing cosplayers of your own gender they are very...exciteable...don't ask.

The only advice I can offer for being at a con is let loose, never hold back, don't think before you act or speak, and talk to everyone you meet...and keep a mental map of all of the elevators and stairwells .

"Truly great madness cannot be achieved without significant intelligence." - Henrik Tikkanen
(#24 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

11-21-2008, 05:52 AM

I have to agree with Wilson. Maybe our local con is "special" but I have never been in a more inviting situation. Cosplay or not, anyone could talk to anyone because we were all there for the same reason..maybe not the EXACT same reason, but mutual respect seemed to be the underlying theme.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
11-21-2008, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsontheterrible View Post
There are only two instances where anyone should feel like an outcast and at a con isnt one of them. Everybody is there to have fun, eat bad con food, and hang out with people that are into the same weird stuff they are. Last con I went to I ended up; playing D&D, dancing with the hotel manager, sneaking my way into one of the luxury suits by pretending to be one of the bellhops, and leading the effort to get the con's band to play "Come Sail Away" getting nearly half the con to burst into song in the process. Con's are nothing but good fun, good friends, and legally questionable good times.

Maybe I just go to a good con but I've always felt perfectly at ease around the people there. I don't cosplay, I can count the number of anime I've watched on one hand, but I've never had a problem getting along with even the most hardcore anime enthusiasts (I actually had a pretty good conversation with a guy dressed up as a mudkip). That being said I will advise you avoid crossdressing cosplayers of your own gender they are very...exciteable...don't ask.

The only advice I can offer for being at a con is let loose, never hold back, don't think before you act or speak, and talk to everyone you meet...and keep a mental map of all of the elevators and stairwells .
I thnk you explained this much better than I could. I was "out of the loop" for the anime stuff, but I didn't have a bad time because of it. I enjoyed myself, and I did meet some really cool people. I guess "out of the loop" is the best way to describe my experiences with cons as opposed to being "outcast".
(#26 (permalink))
Old
ThirdSight (Offline)
Bane of Stupidity

Send a message via AIM to ThirdSight
11-23-2008, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsontheterrible View Post
New plan.

You tell me about these Amazing-Incred-o-Cons and their locations.

I'll make like Harold and Kumar and epically road trip it there, becuase they sound like a hell of a lot more fun than the cons I go to, which is composed of (mostly) morbidly obese people who think watching Inuyasha for 12 hours straight whilst listening to soft J-Pop in the background is a good time.

-M@

How in the world do people reach 1,000+ posts?

Skadoosh.
(#27 (permalink))
Old
Kitsuneko (Offline)
Analog Dinosaur

11-28-2008, 10:27 PM

There's only Kawaii-kon here in Hawaii, and sure, there can be a bit of clique-ish clumping here and there, but there are always a ton of friendly fan-folk who are just happy to put on their costumes, watch anime together, play games, and enjoy being with a great big herd of other people who like the same thing and won't think they are strange because they like 'cartoons.'

It's not very nice to say, but it's enjoyable watching the 'normal' sorts there, obviously feeling like outcasts themselves for once. They look so lost, it's almost cute. Heh.

"And I ain't in it for the power,
And I ain't in it for my health
I ain't in it for the glory of anything at all
And I sure ain't in it for the wealth
But I'm in it till it's over and I just can't stop
If you wanna get it done,
You gotta do it yourself..."

Meat Loaf, Everything Louder Than Everything Else
(#28 (permalink))
Old
Oni (Offline)
<3

Send a message via AIM to Oni Send a message via Yahoo to Oni
11-30-2008, 12:55 AM

The first con I went to, I went with my mom (I couldn't drive then) that was the only time I felt out of place. Now, next year I'm bringing two of my friends to their first con (I get to corrupt them )

A Sonozaki at her finest (links may be spoilers):

http://higurashiualuealuealeuale.ytmnd.com/
http://higurashicowbell.ytmnd.com/

Aishite mo ii kai?