LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-11-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonybard View Post
Ugh. I hope that doesn't mean I'll have to purchase the other three Ultimate Editions of Battle Royale much faster than I had anticipated.
Why? Battle Royale is not a Kodansha title.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
spoonybard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-11-2009, 06:32 PM

^^^ YAAAAAAY!!!!!

Man, I believe that the problem we have here are all the companies that publish the stuff. TOKYOPOP and Viz Media are THE BIG ONES over here. Yes there are others, however, these two are the most prominent. Curiously, much of their stuff belongs to different companies in Japan.

For example, Soul Eater and Fullmetal Alchemist belong to Square Enix, and are published in Shonen Gangan(it's like Shonen Jump, but BIGGER, and loaded with Squenix info). Another issue is that some anime games aren't published here because of the different companies responsible for the series over here.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)
Fashion, Games + Art Mod.

09-12-2009, 08:13 AM

This really isn't good for manga in the UK, I mean the only manga I see are by Tokyopop, with a few Shonen Jump in there. This will probably hit them pretty badly.

Tokyopop do license english manga though, we have a Shakespeare manga series which I think is doing pretty well... but still, it must be really difficult.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
SceptileMaster (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-12-2009, 12:24 PM

I've always though Shonen Jump manga were bigger here in the UK than Tokyopop. In Waterstones and other places that sell manga there isn't always a huge amount of Tokyo pop in comparison to Shonen Jump (except in WHSmith's which only seems to Tokyopop manga... maybe they have some kind of deal with the company).

Since I don't have that much manga and just buy them every so often on a casual basis I may be missing some shops that may prove otherwise.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Aniki (Offline)
JF's Road Roller

09-12-2009, 02:00 PM

Now even more people will turn to scanlations.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)
Fashion, Games + Art Mod.

09-14-2009, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SceptileMaster View Post
I've always though Shonen Jump manga were bigger here in the UK than Tokyopop. In Waterstones and other places that sell manga there isn't always a huge amount of Tokyo pop in comparison to Shonen Jump (except in WHSmith's which only seems to Tokyopop manga... maybe they have some kind of deal with the company).

Since I don't have that much manga and just buy them every so often on a casual basis I may be missing some shops that may prove otherwise.
I guess it just depends, in my Waterstones it's mainly Tokyopop, the stand where the manga is is actually labelled Tokyopop, and as you mentioned WHSmith also has mainly all Tokyopop. I haven't seen any other places that stock manga.

In Neo magazine which is I'm pretty sure the only UK anime/manga magazine it features a lot of articles about Tokyopop and the manga industry, Tokyopop gets a lot of bashing to be honest. It's in a pretty bad way it seems.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
SceptileMaster (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-19-2009, 11:01 AM

In the waterstones when I go to the city it's only a couple of Tokyopop stands then shelves of other stuff. And wherever I go it's hard not to trip over the really big sellers (like naruto and bleach).