JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
honoraryjapanesegirl (Offline)
Holy Dattebayo, Batman!!

Send a message via Yahoo to honoraryjapanesegirl
Classification of Shojou/Shounen - 07-10-2010, 04:34 AM

Alrighty, I wanted to ask the forum a question about the classification of Shojou and Shounen manga.

I am working on a manga that deals with more Shounen characteristics, yet I am female (as the name indicates ). What would my manga be classified under? Just because I am a female manga-ka, does it automatically become a Shojou manga? Or does it depend on the content of the manga itself? In which case it would most likely be classified Shounen...

I hope I'm making some sense. I'm really curious. Thanks in advance, and I hope everyone has a wonderfully blessed day~!

~Honorary~

~...Why must the different be cast away, be cast into a deep, dark pit of loneliness, being mocked and scorned as the the enemy...and eventually...become it...?~
~HonoraryJapaneseGirl~
~.::{Akatsuki Clan Member--Leader of California}::.~
~.::{Michiko Manami}::.~

(#2 (permalink))
Old
YukisUke (Offline)
Konichiwa, bitches

Send a message via AIM to YukisUke Send a message via Yahoo to YukisUke
07-10-2010, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honoraryjapanesegirl View Post
Alrighty, I wanted to ask the forum a question about the classification of Shojou and Shounen manga.

I am working on a manga that deals with more Shounen characteristics, yet I am female (as the name indicates ). What would my manga be classified under? Just because I am a female manga-ka, does it automatically become a Shojou manga? Or does it depend on the content of the manga itself? In which case it would most likely be classified Shounen...

I hope I'm making some sense. I'm really curious. Thanks in advance, and I hope everyone has a wonderfully blessed day~!

~Honorary~
If by shounen, you mean a lot of male characters. It doesn't matter if you're female. It will still be a shounen regardless. Just look at Maki Murakami and her greatest work, Gravitation. Just make your manga and don't look back. Hope I helped.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
talycap (Offline)
JF Regular

07-10-2010, 06:56 AM

shounen manga are boy comic like naruto and bleach more on fighting and shoujo manga are girl comics more on love story like fushigi yuugi,absolute boy friennd,yamatonadeshiko shichi henge and skip beat
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-10-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:

~Honorary~
With books, then the classification of the book shouldn't have anything to do with the demographics of the author, but the TYPE of story that is produced. I imagine it's the same with manga.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
07-10-2010, 12:41 PM

In Japan, it`s generally classified by the publisher/magazine it appeared in.

Really - what does it matter though? I`d worry more about making a good story than figuring out what it would be classified as. Particularly as there are plenty of manga that are classified as neither.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Liongale (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Liongale Send a message via MSN to Liongale
07-10-2010, 02:40 PM

Basically, it's described as your target audience, and if you are adding those proper elements to appeal to your target audience. Their are examples out there of artists drawing for the opposite gender's demographic as well.

こう言っちゃなんだけど...
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Holy Dattebayo, Batman!!

07-10-2010, 07:17 PM

I'm concerned because I want to know what audience I should shoot for as far as advertising goes, and other things like that. Like Nyororin said about the publisher, I'm looking for anyone who knows maybe a bit about that? Like, what publishers are looking for in a Shounen manga. Would anyone happen to know if how much of a chance there would be to publishers say 'no' to publishing my Shounen manga just because I'm female?

And like Liongale said, I my target aduience is the Shounen crowd, and I am adding those elements. With that being said, could anyone answer the question above (in bold), with knowledge they happen to know, or know from personal experience?

Thanks!

~Honorary~

~...Why must the different be cast away, be cast into a deep, dark pit of loneliness, being mocked and scorned as the the enemy...and eventually...become it...?~
~HonoraryJapaneseGirl~

(#8 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
07-11-2010, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Would anyone happen to know if how much of a chance there would be to publishers say 'no' to publishing my Shounen manga just because I'm female?
None.

It does not matter what gender you are - that has nothing to do with the classification. It is the story and intended audience that matters. That is all that matters. Publishers do not care at all about your gender. What they do care about is popularity and sales - ie. A shoujo publisher will not publish someone just because they`re female, even though the majority of their artists are female... This is even more true with shounen publishers - there are plenty of female artists who have no problem being published and successful.

It doesn`t matter if the manga is good. That is what publishers care about - making money off of you.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Holy Dattebayo, Batman!!

07-11-2010, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
None.

It does not matter what gender you are - that has nothing to do with the classification. It is the story and intended audience that matters. That is all that matters. Publishers do not care at all about your gender. What they do care about is popularity and sales - ie. A shoujo publisher will not publish someone just because they`re female, even though the majority of their artists are female... This is even more true with shounen publishers - there are plenty of female artists who have no problem being published and successful.

It doesn`t matter if the manga is good. That is what publishers care about - making money off of you.
Thanks, Nyororin! I appreciate it! This is exactly what I want, too...okay...I shall continue drawing!! XD

~HonoraryJapaneseGirl~

~HonoraryJapaneseGirl~

(#10 (permalink))
Old
willgoestocollege (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-11-2010, 01:07 AM

Do you want to be a manga artist in your country or Japan?