JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
robhol (Offline)
Can I eat him??

Recommend me a new manga? - 04-25-2010, 07:41 PM

I've been reading some manga lately in order to get some practice in reading Japanese - starting small, I know, but it's a way to read while having fun, so I thought it seemed like a good plan. However, the current series is starting to run out on me and there aren't too many chapters left until I need something else to read.

In short: I'm looking for a manga that's funny, has furigana (they're a must for the time being, I must ashamedly admit) and, preferably, one that has a decent English translation out. That way I can continue with the "system" I've been using until now. (Reading the Japanese version first, understanding what I can and looking up what I don't, and then cross-checking with the translation to see if I got the gist of it.)

Thanks in advance.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
YukisUke (Offline)
Konichiwa, bitches

Send a message via AIM to YukisUke Send a message via Yahoo to YukisUke
04-25-2010, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robhol View Post
I've been reading some manga lately in order to get some practice in reading Japanese - starting small, I know, but it's a way to read while having fun, so I thought it seemed like a good plan. However, the current series is starting to run out on me and there aren't too many chapters left until I need something else to read.

In short: I'm looking for a manga that's funny, has furigana (they're a must for the time being, I must ashamedly admit) and, preferably, one that has a decent English translation out. That way I can continue with the "system" I've been using until now. (Reading the Japanese version first, understanding what I can and looking up what I don't, and then cross-checking with the translation to see if I got the gist of it.)

Thanks in advance.
If you don't mind blood, then I'd have to say Chibi Vampire(AKA Karin). It's funny, sweet in some places, and it makes you think what if vampires were like this. That's my suggestion. Hope you consider it. Sayonara!!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
robhol (Offline)
Can I eat him??

04-26-2010, 04:08 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll take a look at it. If anybody has other suggestions, feel free to come with them.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Anemone (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-03-2010, 02:06 AM

Again, if you don't mind blood, I highly recommend Kuroshitsuji. It's a bit more drama/action then comedy...but...it definetly has it's great comedic moments. It's mainly about a boy who inherited his parents fortune and his demon butler. I stink at explaining things, but I got hooked within the first chapter so at least try it =D

~OPEN MY WINGS~

Last edited by Anemone : 05-03-2010 at 02:10 AM.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-03-2010, 02:54 AM

You can be almost sure that any bloody manga is not going to have furigana in it. That is reserved for manga directed to children.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
manganimefan227 (Offline)
星の翼

05-03-2010, 03:19 AM

Funny? Bobobobobo or Ouran High School Host Club or Konjiki no Gash Bell (This one I'm pretty sure has furigana.

If you've ever heard of Zatch Bell, Konjiki no Gash Bell is the much better Japanese counterpot, It's funny, awsome, and weird!

My Life Sucks- The kids I babysit have drooled, ripped or drawn on all of the cards and put the cars with the little people in the microwave!

I have no Friends- The cats have scratched and destroyed all of the DVDs!

I always owe someone- In fact I put two os in it!

I always ruin my clothes with Bleach!- The show is so dom suspensful I spill my grape soda on them!

But . . .I'll live.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Anemone (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-03-2010, 08:32 PM

Kuroshitsuji has furigana. I have a volume of it.

~OPEN MY WINGS~
(#8 (permalink))
Old
robhol (Offline)
Can I eat him??

05-12-2010, 04:29 AM

If anybody has more recommendations, please keep 'em coming.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
YukisUke (Offline)
Konichiwa, bitches

Send a message via AIM to YukisUke Send a message via Yahoo to YukisUke
05-12-2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robhol View Post
If anybody has more recommendations, please keep 'em coming.
You could also try Hellsing. It's also a vamp-manga, but it's action-packed and has little bits of romance (Not enough to make you gag though), mystery, and a whole lot of drama to bind it all together. Very good.