JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Quizoid (Offline)
New to JF

Question Surrendering Into Power - 06-29-2010, 08:42 PM

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forums. Actually, I had a burning question and scoured the internet for a good place to post it, and figured this would be the spot.

I'm a fan of Japanese media. I've noticed that, in anime, often times heroes surrender into their powers. After the surrender, there is often a moment of sharp focus. This is especially true in transformation anime. Let me give some examples about what I'm talking about.

Surrender:
1) Closing eyes
2) Leaning back
3) Flinching in pain
4) Moaning
5) Falling into light (especially in big robot anime)

Moment of Focus:
1) Staring directly at the camera
2) A short "kia"/battle cry
3) Striking a pose

Example anime: Arjuna, Utena, Sailor Moon, Shamanic Princess, Raxephon, Melody of Oblivion (these are just off the top of my head, there are so many more).

This contrasts with western culture. Superman changes in secret, Wonder Woman twirls around, the Hulk has a very forced, masculine transformation, etc...

I'm looking for general discussion on this phenomenon. We can speculate on the cultural differences that cause this. But, more specifically, I'm curious about what an average Japanese person would say about this. How does it come across to them? Also, I wonder what a creator of Anime would have to say. What is the thought behind this technique?

Thanks for reading my post!