JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Umihito (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Question Is there a website for manga ENGLISH scripts? - 12-13-2010, 12:26 AM

Alright so lately I've been hearing all the buzz about publishers making a push to close scanlation sites. Oh, and before anyone asks I actually buy the manga in it's original Japanese first if there's no English translation, and if it has been translated then I buy the book, so I'm not being illegal.

So what worries me is that once I've bought all my manga in it's original Japanese, if scanlation sites go down it will be many years before I learn the Japanese needed to understand it, especially with all the slang in manga.

Are there any sites out there that sort of... do JUST the translating and put the English scrips online rather than scanlating the entire page and thus putting it at risk of being shut down?

It really worries me that I may never be able to finish my Japanese mangas because of lack of translation.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-13-2010, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umihito View Post
I actually buy the manga in it's original Japanese first if there's no English translation, and if it has been translated then I buy the book, so I'm not being illegal.
If you download or stream scanlations, it's illegal. It doesn't matter if you have bought the original in Japanese or not.

I respect those that do buy the original Japanese (how do you do it?) but just be clear that using scanlations is illegal regardless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umihito View Post
So what worries me is that once I've bought all my manga in it's original Japanese, if scanlation sites go down it will be many years before I learn the Japanese needed to understand it, especially with all the slang in manga.

Are there any sites out there that sort of... do JUST the translating and put the English scrips online rather than scanlating the entire page and thus putting it at risk of being shut down?

It really worries me that I may never be able to finish my Japanese mangas because of lack of translation.
Sorry, I can't help you with this question, but how much manga have you bought in the original Japanese?
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Umihito (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-13-2010, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
If you download or stream scanlations, it's illegal. It doesn't matter if you have bought the original in Japanese or not.
Ahh I see. Well I hardly ever use them and I hate using them when I do. Sorry about that.

Quote:
I respect those that do buy the original Japanese (how do you do it?)
Well I personally bought a bunch from my recent trip to Japan. I checked and the series I bought had no official English translation. But regarding others, I think you can get the original Japanese of some mangas on Ebay.

Quote:
Sorry, I can't help you with this question, but how much manga have you bought in the original Japanese?
Well I bought a couple of series while I was out there. One of the series was 12 books long, and I forgot how many books I had for the other series but at around 60 chapters long I'd say there were a few.
No problem, thanks for the input!
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-13-2010, 02:40 AM

Don't feel like you need to apologize to me, I just wanted you to be aware of international law.

See Berne Convention.

Which series did you buy in Japan. When I am there I usually try and pick up a couple interesting looking ones, partially because they are about half the price.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Umihito (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-13-2010, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Don't feel like you need to apologize to me, I just wanted you to be aware of international law.

See Berne Convention.

Which series did you buy in Japan. When I am there I usually try and pick up a couple interesting looking ones, partially because they are about half the price.
Okay

Well the 12 book series was the Elfen Lied manga new from the shop. The other was one called Kodomo no Jikan, and I got that one purely from a friend recommendation.
I've been an Elfen fan for a while so I knew what I was looking for.
I couldn't really go and pick out some interesting looking ones though because of my budget :/ I'll try and do that next time I go back.
I did pick up the first book of Hellsing even though they have an English release just out of curiosity

And yeah, at about 500 yen per brand new book, they definately were a lot cheaper!
(#6 (permalink))
Old
evanny (Offline)
devil's advocate

12-13-2010, 05:15 AM

MMM. btw how are the things with downloading in Japan? it's like for most of the world where torrents are used daily or the government does have some steps to prevent it? like monitoring MB exchange etc...?

well...no one is going out and actually doing smth about illegal content on pc, m?
(#7 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-13-2010, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanny View Post
MMM. btw how are the things with downloading in Japan? it's like for most of the world where torrents are used daily or the government does have some steps to prevent it? like monitoring MB exchange etc...?

well...no one is going out and actually doing smth about illegal content on pc, m?
Culturally, Japanese are not interested in fake brand name items or illegal downloading. You will find fake bags in Korea or China, but it is much harder to find it in Japan. I think the same is true of manga. People want to "own" the title, and if they really just want to read it to pass the time, then borrow from a friend or read it at a manga/Internet cafe.