LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
StonerPenguin (Offline)
loves bein' gross ಥ‿à

12-16-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouji88len View Post
lol i can tell that you are quite familiar with the topic! thx for all the info, i will definitely look more into the topic. you mind if i PM you some questions? i would love to discuss topic more in depth, your opinion is highly appreciated

and of course i think hybrid is nice, but the balance is kind of hard to find....T.T
Yeah, of course! I'm glad you want my opinion. I wouldn't say I'm an expert but I've been following the OEL manga-comic scene off and on since Tokyopop's first "Rising Stars of Manga" ( Rising Stars of Manga - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) The first 3 artists I posted here have won places in this contest. But RSoM was suspended in 2008 as a lot of the stories weren't very good and TP had to cancel a good portion of them. Yen Plus was a monthly manga magazine that featured Japanese manga, Korean manhwa, and the work of Western artists. I tried to buy a copy of YP whenever I saw it to support them and stuff but they still went out of print It's still availible online though Yen Press (3 USD a month)

The most exciting opportunity IMO for manga artists outsite Japan is Kodansha's "Morning International Comic Contest" (formerly "Morning International Manga Contest", they said they changed the title from 'manga' to 'comic' to encourage entries with greater variation in style) ( Morning International Comic Competition M.I.C.C. ) Though mostly Asian artists have dominated this contest (Japanese artists can't participate in the contest) Pricilla Hamby won 1st place and is the only American to do so.

The 5th M.I.C.C contest currently accepting entries (Entries must be postmarked by July 31, 2011.) If you win, you get $3,000, your work will be published in Japan (in Morning Magazine), your work will also get translated into various languages (put online) annndd you'll get some of Morning's top editors assigned to you! *fanfare* (See rules here Morning International Comic Competition M.I.C.C. )

For years, I've wanted to enter a comic contest but I can never get off my ass and put together a decent entry! How about you, are you an artist? I posted this since I thought might be interested
(#22 (permalink))
Old
ouji88len (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to ouji88len Send a message via Skype™ to ouji88len
12-16-2010, 09:27 PM

wow, i didnt know there were such big events for potential mangakas outside of US. I have more confidence now that there are passionate artists out there wanting to publish their work.

I wish i can draw well enough to enter into one of those or publish my own work, i have good imagination and can picture things in my mind, but my hand doesnt like to obey me when i try to put it on paper lol...