JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
ouji88len (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to ouji88len Send a message via Skype™ to ouji88len
any diehard manga artists out there? - 12-14-2010, 04:42 PM

just wondering if there are any artists who want to draw manga (doujinshi)?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-14-2010, 04:52 PM

Is someone who draws doujinshi considered a manga artist?
(#3 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-14-2010, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Is someone who draws doujinshi considered a manga artist?
I think you could call a doujinshi artist a manga artist. It's the same way a fanfiction writer is still a writer. . . if the doujinshi is in manga style then the person who draws it is a manga artist, right?
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-14-2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinMask View Post
I think you could call a doujinshi artist a manga artist. It's the same way a fanfiction writer is still a writer. . . if the doujinshi is in manga style then the person who draws it is a manga artist, right?
Are people who write fan fiction considered "writers"? I am not making a judgement, I am just asking. I would think of a doujishi artist like a fan artist. Are you considered a manga artist or a writer if you have never been published?

I can throw paint at a canvas. Can I call myself an "artist"? I mean, everyone takes art in school, but just because you create art, are you then an artist?
(#5 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-14-2010, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Are people who write fan fiction considered "writers"? I am not making a judgement, I am just asking. I would think of a doujishi artist like a fan artist. Are you considered a manga artist or a writer if you have never been published?

I can throw paint at a canvas. Can I call myself an "artist"? I mean, everyone takes art in school, but just because you create art, are you then an artist?
If I were to be honest I would say 'yes'. If you throw art at a canvas then you are an artist, because art is all abut creativity and expression, so if you can do that then it matters not whether your work if famed throughout the land or stuck in an attic where no one sees it. I would argue that at one time Van Gough wasn't an 'artist', and it was only when after he died that he became an 'artist'.

It's a little off-topic, but I think it comes down to the individual and what they consider art or literature. It's all about what has 'value' too. It seems that you perceive doujinshi as less valuable than manga, fanfiction less valuable than a classic novel, and an unknown artist less valuable than a well-known artist - so for these reasons they can't be called artists or writers. I think it's a matter or debate really, but to be honest I've read online writers whose works can compete with any published writers, and I've seen artists on Deviantart whose works are better than half the 'real artists' I've ever seen.

So for that reason I'll say a doujinshi artist can be called a manga artist.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

12-14-2010, 09:01 PM

Quote:

I think that's detracting from the OP's question which is; "does anyone on JF make and draw their own Japanese-style comics?" Not me, I'm afraid!

I think the difference with doujinshi and fanfic though is that more successful manga artists were once doujin-ka than successful writers were once fanfic writers. Also more doujin-ka actually sell their work whereas you almost never see printed fanfic available for purchase (usually for good reason!)
(#7 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-14-2010, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
I think that's detracting from the OP's question which is; "does anyone on JF make and draw their own Japanese-style comics?" Not me, I'm afraid!

I think the difference with doujinshi and fanfic though is that more successful manga artists were once doujin-ka than successful writers were once fanfic writers. Also more doujin-ka actually sell their work whereas you almost never see printed fanfic available for purchase (usually for good reason!)
OP let me know if this is getting too far off track. But I think his two questions are interesting, in that he first asks about "diehard manga artists" (and I am not sure what that means) and then for artists who WANT to draw manga. Aren't these two different things? The semantics is interesting to me.

Your point about fanfic is probably true, though.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
File0 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-14-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:

Yes, in a way. One may say that's only true for the time of the act, I know artists who don't really call themselves artist when they aren't working...
If you make an artwork it makes you the artist of that piece of art. And it really doesn't matter that you actually published your work or not, many artwork have been published after the artist had died and no one would dare to speak about the author by other title than artist...

But still it's not about one's (or many's) judgment, it's really hard to separate non art from art, it has some rules but in the end of the day it has none - and that's the beauty of it...

On the other hand when you're a follower of a style you only can call yourself one of 'them' if you strictly keep the rules - so I'm not really sure if a doujinshi drawer is a 'manga artist' or not - I'm not qualified to state that...

Edit: I see I'm almost saying the same as RobinMask... I'm too slow...

Last edited by File0 : 12-14-2010 at 09:18 PM.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
ouji88len (Offline)
JF Regular

12-15-2010, 06:50 PM

wow guys! im amazed at how active and passionate people are on this forum...i guess i underestimated the power of forum communication :P

anyways, just to clear up some confusion on this topic. I actually just wanted to know if there are anyone who is willing to draw their own series and possibly have it published. I know in japan, there are people who wants to become mangakas and would jump at any opportunity to debut, im just curious if there are other people out there who are willing to do that given the opportunity. (i know i would, but i cant draw to save my own life lol).

As for my perspective on art, i think the discussion were off-track but definitely worth it. "beauty is in the eye of the beholder", so if you consider something is art, then it is art to you, of course there are differences in opinion depending on everyone's personal experience, so what is art and what isnt art isnt so black and white. i can judge works, i may not like it, but i sometimes still regard it as a piece of work, it just doesn't suit my taste thats all.

just a question. what you guys think about the way non-japanese artists approach manga, or how "western" people perceive manga as a source of entertainment?

P.S. glad you guys replied with passion! keep it up!
(#10 (permalink))
Old
ouji88len (Offline)
JF Regular

12-15-2010, 06:54 PM

Quote:
OP let me know if this is getting too far off track. But I think his two questions are interesting, in that he first asks about "diehard manga artists" (and I am not sure what that means) and then for artists who WANT to draw manga. Aren't these two different things? The semantics is interesting to me. .
the question just kind of popped into my mind, i wasnt really thinking about grammar and semantics or whatnot. i guess what i want to say is "are there any passionate artists who wants to draw their own manga". Hope that clear things up for you...