JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Jinatonik (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to Jinatonik
02-19-2011, 06:02 AM

I'd say it is about the same as here in America. Some love it, some hate it, some think it's okay, some don't care. It's like a Japanese person asking if cartoons are popular in America. :P
(#12 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
02-19-2011, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinatonik View Post
I'd say it is about the same as here in America. Some love it, some hate it, some think it's okay, some don't care. It's like a Japanese person asking if cartoons are popular in America. :P
Here's the funny (as in ironic) thing. Anime = cartoon by Japan's definition of the word. Anime = short for "animation". I've heard people refer to it as such since I've been here...then again, I knew that before coming here too.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Jinatonik (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to Jinatonik
02-19-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
Here's the funny (as in ironic) thing. Anime = cartoon by Japan's definition of the word. Anime = short for "animation". I've heard people refer to it as such since I've been here...then again, I knew that before coming here too.
Exactly my point too. We probably have as many cartoons, both for children and adults, as Japan has.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
bluedaydream (Offline)
New to JF

Lightbulb 04-01-2011, 05:02 AM

Hmm. I feel embarrassed myself about an incident with my boss. When I first met her, she was giving a whole bunch of us an orientation. I just knew she was Japanese, and I was beyond excited, as she is the first Japanese person I met after falling completely in love with the culture, anime, manga and the language. She asked me what made me interested in Japanese. I said, "Bleach." I was completely confident she would know what I was talking about. She gave me a totally blank look, but quickly changed to one of pretend understanding. I was completely embarrassed, and I think she was embarrassed for me. Thinking, "American girl thinking all Japanese people know anime/manga like 'all Japanese people know karate.'"

謙虚に,

白日夢

Last edited by bluedaydream : 04-01-2011 at 03:32 PM.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
tokusatsufan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-01-2011, 10:58 AM

Well there wasn't anime stuff everywhere [except for bloody Evangelion!] but I do stumble across quite a few anime watching KeyHole.

SSJup81 hit the nail on the head. It's like if I said"Have you been watching OOO?" they wouldn't know what I was talking about but if I asked if they liked Kamen Rider,Super Sentai,Zubat,Japanese Spiderman,then I should get a response.