JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Anime & Manga (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/anime-manga/)
-   -   American/English Manga? (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/anime-manga/3732-american-english-manga.html)

xPnai 04-14-2007 07:47 PM

American/English Manga?

I dunno if anybody posted a topic like this already but it somebody has then feel free to take this out.
SO...
wat do you u think of American manga?
Are you ok with it or no?
pls dont get offended. state ur reasoning.

personally im okay with it because anybody has the freedom to do as they wish. if manga means comics that wats wrong w calling comics like "Dramacon", "Peach Fuzz", etc OEL Manga? OEL=Original English Language

musashi 04-14-2007 07:54 PM

I don't like american anime.....like.....there was this one show called "Totally Spies" and it was american drawers and stuff trying to be Japanese anime artists and it sucked.....i hated it.....

xPnai 04-14-2007 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musashi (Post 92245)
I don't like american anime.....like.....there was this one show called "Totally Spies" and it was american drawers and stuff trying to be Japanese anime artists and it sucked.....i hated it.....

i agree american anime sucks. i hate totally spies. but wat im really interested about is ur view on american manga (comics).

SakuraSan 04-14-2007 08:04 PM

No-one can animate like the Japanese-EndOf

musashi 04-14-2007 08:06 PM

Damn straight SakuraSan......like, the manga is......ok.....but Japanese is way better....

musashi 04-14-2007 08:07 PM

Chinese manga is alright too.....

xPnai 04-14-2007 08:21 PM

manga, manhua, manwha... ther are those that are really good... or really bad..

hmm so what if.. a japanese mangaka comes to america.. marries an American.. they have a white daughter... and she preceeds her parent's manga skills. then she teaches an American and he does just as well. is that considered bad then coz he's not really japanese?

musashi 04-14-2007 08:23 PM

I guess not......i just don't like the idiots who think they can and can't.....

xPnai 04-14-2007 08:28 PM

hmm at first i hated american manga because seeing as they are now i havent seen one that actually matches with actual japanese manga. match is not the word im looking for... more like... something that can level with Jap. manga. the artwork seriously needs improvement but hey now. those who made American manga are humans. they have the ryt to be happy. if they like making comics saying its manga-influenced, then y not? nothing is lost.

Abasio 04-14-2007 11:41 PM

Is it true that americans call manga Japanimation?

NanteNa 04-15-2007 12:37 AM

I never knew, that America made anime too.
Anime is... ehh.. like Japan's thingie..
Typical of America to rip off every success from other countries, just to make money themselves. *bows and apologizes to the americans in here*

I doubt that the amr. 'anime' would ever become as good as the japanese.

xPnai 04-15-2007 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abasio (Post 92376)
Is it true that americans call manga Japanimation?

hm i dont think thats true. i've only heard of a company named japanimation. im not sure.

Abasio 04-16-2007 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xPnai (Post 92563)
hm i dont think thats true. i've only heard of a company named japanimation. im not sure.

An american friend of mine swore it was true but he wasn't really into anime!

xPnai 04-16-2007 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abasio (Post 94090)
An american friend of mine swore it was true but he wasn't really into anime!

hm then i guess u cant really trust him with anime huh? Maybe ppl who are not familiar w anime call it japanimation but im pretty sure those in the licensing industry call it Anime.

fuu 04-17-2007 01:39 AM

The American manga Van VonHunter is pretty good.
I also like Avatar the Last Airbender, and Martin Mystery (I think it is Canadian not sure)
Totally Spies........totally sucks!!!!
But some american cartoons that imitate anime are pretty good, I like The Teen Titans
Isn't it a compliment to be copied???

Oren 04-17-2007 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xPnai (Post 94899)
hm then i guess u cant really trust him with anime huh? Maybe ppl who are not familiar w anime call it japanimation but im pretty sure those in the licensing industry call it Anime.

I hate to say thats what i called it when i was younger. But it was all very new back then, and we had no idea that it wasnt called japanamation

Rikku777 04-17-2007 01:45 AM

[post removed]

xPnai 04-17-2007 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oren (Post 95128)
I hate to say thats what i called it when i was younger. But it was all very new back then, and we had no idea that it wasnt called japanamation

dont worry^^ thats totally reasonable. i didnt even know that Anime came from Japan until a few years later. I called it Cartoons =X tragic I know. now i know better^^

I agree Avatar is a really good series^^ I really like it but I'm really disappointed a wat had become to Prince Zuko lately.. sigh

I havent seen Martin Mystery yet. maybe i'll check it out ^^

Samael 04-17-2007 05:51 AM

Well for starters there isnt much that equates to anime in America because culturally our cartoons have a completly different target audience, mainly 8 year olds. Comparing the two is usless, so to say Americans can't make "anime" isn't really fair, because at the moment we arn't trying very hard as a culture. We're just now starting to see hints of it here and there, but something will have to really make it big and deserve the attention in order to catalyze an American anime movement. Wait for it, it'll come, I guarentee it. They style is arleady popular, but the fan base just isn't forgiving when it comes to non-Japanese artists. There won't be American anime until there's a fan base ready to recive it.

samokan 04-17-2007 06:11 AM

There are great english manga/comics. I do read comics release by DC and Vertigo but don't collect them, they were so expensive, well even now. Though I LOVE Neil Gaiman's "SANDMAN". Believe me its a manga/comics you'll not want to miss.

WWdN: In Exile: dream country

fuu 04-18-2007 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samokan (Post 95280)
There are great english manga/comics. I do read comics release by DC and Vertigo but don't collect them, they were so expensive, well even now. Though I LOVE Neil Gaiman's "SANDMAN". Believe me its a manga/comics you'll not want to miss.

WWdN: In Exile: dream country

You read some DC eh? For that style i like Marval, I'm a huge X-man fan.....

samokan 04-19-2007 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuu (Post 96087)
You read some DC eh? For that style i like Marval, I'm a huge X-man fan.....

yeah I do, though I still don't have copies of DC comics, I used to borrow from friends before. Mee tooo.. I love X-men.. I used to collect xmen cards before when I was in High school. :vsign:

luna2 04-19-2007 02:16 AM

to me american manga doesnt hav this one thing that japanese mangas hav really
the way american manga looks, jus looks kinda plain or in other words just to american...i dnt really know how to explain

ShibaInu 04-19-2007 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luna2 (Post 97350)
to me american manga doesnt hav this one thing that japanese mangas hav really
the way american manga looks, jus looks kinda plain or in other words just to american...i dnt really know how to explain

no worries, no need to explain further, i understand what u mean...it's probably something like dressing up a white-skinned guy in japanese traditional clothes or something...the dress looks japanese but the wearer still looks un-japanese...it doesn't feel umm...'right?'...or rather it kinda feels awkward....i guess we have been conditioned that way...

luna2 04-19-2007 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShibaInu (Post 97378)
no worries, no need to explain further, i understand what u mean...it's probably something like dressing up a white-skinned guy in japanese traditional clothes or something...the dress looks japanese but the wearer still looks un-japanese...it doesn't feel umm...'right?'...or rather it kinda feels awkward....i guess we have been conditioned that way...

lol thank u!!!!XD
thats such a good example lol
thank u shibu-san!!!:D

ShibaInu 04-19-2007 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luna2 (Post 97383)
lol thank u!!!!XD
thats such a good example lol
thank u shibu-san!!!:D

as i've said, no worries...u are welcome luna2-san! :vsign:

NightStrike 04-19-2007 05:50 AM

Dude, ShibaInu...you totally burned me with that example man!!! XD

But I completely agree with both yu=our example and Luna's comment. American Manga/Anime lacks the same defining quality found only in good ole Japanese Manga/Anime.

And yeah, us white folks do look weird in kimonos...actually we kinda look weird no matter what we're doing...(sigh) lol

ShibaInu 04-19-2007 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NightStrike (Post 97471)
Dude, ShibaInu...you totally burned me with that example man!!! XD

But I completely agree with both yu=our example and Luna's comment. American Manga/Anime lacks the same defining quality found only in good ole Japanese Manga/Anime.

And yeah, us white folks do look weird in kimonos...actually we kinda look weird no matter what we're doing...(sigh) lol

thanks nightstrike-san...although i hope my example doesn't offend other jf members who are americans...it was just meant to be an example for this american manga thread...but hey, everyone can wear kimonos...but only the japanese can probably wear it best so as with their mangas! :vsign:

zodia 04-19-2007 07:17 PM

i do not like American anime... to me it just seems like a bunch of little kids shows trying to make fun of real anime... I don't mind Japanese anime with English dubbing although i do prefer to watch the real show with subs... but as far as the American made stuff.... i don't like it, besides theres no way that the American made stuff can even compare to the Japanese animation ... I mean come on.

Samael 04-20-2007 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zodia (Post 97844)
besides theres no way that the American made stuff can even compare to the Japanese animation ... I mean come on.

Not flaming you or anything, but that's exactly the sort of thinking that keeps it from being done.

These series take huge budgets and lots of work to create, and in the US they're no reason to make our own when no one would be interested and we can just distribute Japanese series.

On the other hand I don't think American artists should be trying to carbon copy anime either. I think we should do things our own style and not somebody else's, but we could still expand the target audience and thematic elements of animated series and movies to include teenage and adult viewers and have aspects of drama, action, suspense, ect. We probably would to if the idea wasn;t constantly shot down in such a manner.

I think a good example of what I'm talking about is the Spawn animated series. There was nothing "anime" about it, but it was unquestionably targeted at adult viewers and was really actually quite good. More things along these lines that break out of the super hero mould would actually prompt me to watch television in this country again.

Also think about this, take some American series and imagine them as anime. On another forum we were discussing how epically awesome a Battlestar Galactica animated series would be. Think about it: Massive arcing military sci-fi plotline chronicalling the the ultimate exodus of the human race through space against a massive enemy force. Does that sound anime or what? That's what I'm talking about.

Americans could easily make their own mature animated series, we just don't and as a long as everyone is fine with that we won't.

samokan 04-20-2007 05:54 AM

acctually there is no point comparing the two. Each is a product of art and has a different cultural background. American comics/manga would not copy the Japanese style and vice versa . Yes japanese manga are slowly entering into the American market, but its too soon to say if it can catch up with what the current market of American comics.

KohanaIto 08-05-2007 08:07 PM

hey. im not saying anything against your opinions but im a manga artist. and im NORTH american. i can draw just as well as japanese mangaka and i havent taken any classes. everyone has their own style. theres nothing that says manga or anime has to look a certain way so why put standards on them that weren't there before? but i do agree most american anime sux ass. not just the art but the story lines as well. and to say one last thing i do plan on moving to japan to persue a career in manga/anime. once i get a better hold on the language that is. *blushes*
xox
kohana Ito

Shidash 08-06-2007 01:50 AM

Most American anime and manga is not as good as Japanese anime and manga but even though I have never seen American anime or manga that is as good as Japanese, I believe it can still exist. You don't have to be Japanese or live in Japan to make anime or manga, the content needs to be right, thats all. The closest thing I have seen to Japanese anime and manga in the US is Avatar: The Last Airbender. It is very well developed and is close to passing as anime but the 'manga' which is based on the anime/cartoon (wherever you think it fits) needs a lot of work.

ILOVEJAPAN 08-07-2007 08:36 PM

:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shidash (Post 197467)
Most American anime and manga is not as good as Japanese anime and manga but even though I have never seen American anime or manga that is as good as Japanese, I believe it can still exist. You don't have to be Japanese or live in Japan to make anime or manga, the content needs to be right, thats all. The closest thing I have seen to Japanese anime and manga in the US is Avatar: The Last Airbender. It is very well developed and is close to passing as anime but the 'manga' which is based on the anime/cartoon (wherever you think it fits) needs a lot of work.

I 100% agree with everything you just said.

Narutocrazy101 08-07-2007 10:18 PM

I agry with musashi:vsign:

MMM 08-07-2007 10:46 PM

In my opinion manga are comics that come from Japan and manhwa are comics that come from Korea. Just like beer made in Canada is beer, and beer made in Japan is biiru.

Shidash 08-07-2007 10:59 PM

Have you ever heard of cultural diffusion? Manga is a great example of cultural diffusion. It is when an idea or invention begins to be used and eventually made in other countries. It originates from one country but it eventually gets passed on to others who use the idea. Think about religions, Buddhism for example. It started in one place and then got passed all over the world. Just because it is practiced in other places doesn't make it not Buddhism.

Manga originates from Japan. That can never change. But Japanese comics (manga) have become popular all around the world. People from other countries read manga and they are starting to produce it. Sure, most of it doesn't come out as nicely as Japanese manga does but with practice other countries will be better about making manga. I just find that there is a certain depth found in manga that is not typically found in other comics. It may just be me though.

yukiNnight 08-08-2007 01:24 AM

well the american manga is alittle dumb and the drawings sucks well i am not saying i draw really good what i meant wsas that the american art comparing to the japanese art and manga the japanese ones are totally better:D
(It's just an opinion so don't get mad if you think american manga are better)

Shidash 08-08-2007 03:17 PM

I agree that Japanese manga is better than American manga and the producers of American manga may get better at it or they may not. There are some people who produce American manga who are closer to Japanese manga than others. The thing is that even if it typically isn't as good as Japanese manga, it can be made in countries other than Japan. It can be made out of North America too. It can be made anywhere, sure its different but it can still exist as manga. I personally prefer Japanese manga and anime but there are two animes that I watch that are not from Japan. One is from the US and the other is from France. The 'manga' for them really stinks but as animes they are fine. Now don't get me wrong, there are too many horrible tries at anime and manga out there that turn out horrible but there are a few that don't. A few that are close to that made in Japan. Just because they are made in another country doesn't mean they don't deserve a chance.

I am really starting to like debating here :D

ILOVEJAPAN 08-08-2007 05:13 PM

what defines manga?

I dont think manga is anything. I think manga is just...nothing. Manga is the Japanese word for comic. Its just comics. So nothing really deffines it. Some might say its an art style, but the truth is there are no praticular styles, there is a certaint style that you will often see in main stream manga, but its not the only style.

When Japanese draw "manga" there just drawing comics.

westerners seem to think manga is this new invention that Japanese created, but its nothing. So westerners cant draw manga because it never excisted in the first place.

Im sorry, does that make sence?