JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Phrase (Offline)
New to JF

The Truth - 04-15-2007, 12:24 PM

Japanese people hate foreigners who come over and are way into anime and manga. I'm SORRY, but it is true. And I am saving you the money you would've spent to a country that will regard you as an outcast.

NO high school students do not devote time watching anime or reading manga obsessively. They are STUDYING.

NO people do not dress, act, or speak like in anime and manga. Japan is Japan, and works of fiction only occasionally come out as lifelike.

YES foreigners will be shunned if they have an over enthusiastic love for anime, manga, or if they cosplay.

YES you will be teased if you go to Akihabara.

YES you will be absolutely hated if you go to a Maid Cafe.

NO, you will not get a girlfriend if you can't get one in your own country.

Thank you, that is all.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
YaksokuDa (Offline)
Banned

04-15-2007, 12:33 PM

Calm down boy-o.
Methinks you are judging a nation..
But if i'm honest, i find the ppl who go to japan only for anime and manga, naive.

(#3 (permalink))
Old
Salvanas (Offline)
Great, just my luck.

04-15-2007, 12:35 PM

It is quite true. It's still a hobby over there.

Not sure if this is true. But I heard this from my Japanese teacher who spent 5 years living there. He said some of the girls think you are cute if you don't know Japanese O.o

ALSO that you have to where a card thing, like a Pass. It identify s you as a foreigner. Is that true?

- “I've been lucky. I'll be lucky again.” -
(#4 (permalink))
Old
ShibaInu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-15-2007, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrase View Post
YES you will be teased if you go to Akihabara.
well, if i get the chance to go to Japan, i'd still go to Akihabara even if ev'ryone else teases me...

Japan does not understand very well that one of its proudest cultural achievements is in film--- Akira Kurosawa
(#5 (permalink))
Old
jeppy325 (Offline)
New to JF

Location: Originally from Kanagawa, Japan. Now in Southern Illinois.
Interesting observations! - 04-15-2007, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvanas View Post
It is quite true. It's still a hobby over there.
I'm a native Japanese who recently started thinknig back the role of anime in our culture. I don't think it's just a hobby, but it is a part of our life. But many people, like me, don't think it is an essencial part of our life since anime is always there in our life. But I agree that U.S. has many excellent academic writings on anime.

Quote:
Not sure if this is true. But I heard this from my Japanese teacher who spent 5 years living there. He said some of the girls think you are cute if you don't know Japanese O.o
Yap, I think that's part true. When foreigners pronouce Japanese, it sounds like a baby-talking and cute.

Quote:
ALSO that you have to where a card thing, like a Pass. It identify s you as a foreigner. Is that true?
Ummm, I don't think so. Sometimes you have to carry your ID to show that you're legally working in or visiting the nation though.

Last edited by jeppy325 : 04-15-2007 at 04:11 PM.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Salvanas (Offline)
Great, just my luck.

04-15-2007, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeppy325 View Post
Ummm, I don't think so. Sometimes you have to carry your ID to show that you're legally working in or visiting the nation though.
Hmm. I think I undertsand what you mean. Because it's in your everyday life, Japanese people don't get that hooked onto it? :P

- “I've been lucky. I'll be lucky again.” -
(#7 (permalink))
Old
IamKira (Offline)
Sulfer + KClO3 + Cu(1)Cl

04-15-2007, 04:13 PM

You know.....I don't think that any of us believed any of that anyway.............this thread was kind of unnessessary....thank you....

IamKira
(#8 (permalink))
Old
AKIRA (Offline)
Kuchiyose, Edo Tensei

04-15-2007, 09:19 PM

whether its true or not I dont think anyone on this forum wants to go to Japan just for anime. that would be a waste. I want to go there to see the cities, forests, mountains, to wear their clothes, and taste their food. If I want anime, I'll go to the video store nearest my home.

~With age,comes great Wisdom~
(#9 (permalink))
Old
IamKira (Offline)
Sulfer + KClO3 + Cu(1)Cl

04-15-2007, 09:23 PM

Yes......point in case......this thread was not needed.......

IamKira
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Pedobear (Offline)
New to JF

04-15-2007, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Hmm. I think I undertsand what you mean. Because it's in your everyday life, Japanese people don't get that hooked onto it? :P
Anime is just like regular TV over there. The reason they have anime in the first place is because Japan is too small to afford real-estate for use in film studios.

How would you feel if someone came to America because they were obsessed with American TV shows? If they came off the plane screaming "IT'S NOT LUPUS!"? You'd think they were nuts.