JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Anime & Manga (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/anime-manga/)
-   -   What is a good (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/anime-manga/37987-what-good.html)

WingsToDiscovery 06-23-2011 11:02 PM

What is a good

anime for someone who hasn't really ever watched it? My room mates are always telling me I should get into anime (they're super otaku), but I've never really cared for it, and I'm not sure about it. I've watched about a third of Evangelion as per their recommendation, but I have mixed feelings about it. What would you recommend for someone who hasn't really watched anime before? I don't want anything that's part of a small niche; simply a basic, entry anime. I feel like I'm really behind the pop culture scene not only with them but all of my other friends as well.

Here's a picture of one of my room mate's wall, by the way lol
[GET] | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

MMM 06-23-2011 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WingsToDiscovery (Post 869560)
anime for someone who hasn't really ever watched it? My room mates are always telling me I should get into anime (they're super otaku), but I've never really cared for it, and I'm not sure about it. I've watched about a third of Evangelion as per their recommendation, but I have mixed feelings about it. What would you recommend for someone who hasn't really watched anime before? I don't want anything that's part of a small niche; simply a basic, entry anime. I feel like I'm really behind the pop culture scene not only with them but all of my other friends as well.

You are in Japan, right? So you aren't going to be able to get much in the way of English subs or dubs (unless you are stealing it online).

Nameless 06-23-2011 11:09 PM

It really depends on what you want, there are many genres... personally, I would recommend seinens such as Monster, 20th century boys, Mushishi... buut... you say you don't want a niche thing...

Imageshack - 1285085989751.jpg

Choose a genre... select one of that list... most of those are good, or at least good to the fans of the subgenre.

WingsToDiscovery 06-23-2011 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 869561)
You are in Japan, right? So you aren't going to be able to get much in the way of English subs or dubs (unless you are stealing it online).

If anything, it will give me a reference point to at least see what people would recommend. How I obtain the material (legally) is a different bridge to cross.

shu 06-23-2011 11:10 PM

hmm it all depends of what type of genre you like i guess if your starting out. If you like toilet humor watch shin chan. If you like fighting watch yu yu hakusho. I also would recommend azumanga daioh one of my fav. (and wow your friend really likes evangelion)

Nameless 06-23-2011 11:13 PM

Again, it really depends on the perspective, some say one piece is a 'masterpiece' the best thing ever created, while others (like me) strongly disagree.

Op, needs to point out what he would like in an anime, otherwise it will be hard to give a GOOD answer.

MMM 06-23-2011 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WingsToDiscovery (Post 869564)
If anything, it will give me a reference point to at least see what people would recommend. How I obtain the material (legally) is a different bridge to cross.

I would agree with Nameless's list. I would add Death Note, Gantz, Lain, Blood+,

WingsToDiscovery 06-23-2011 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nameless (Post 869566)
Again, it really depends on the perspective, some say one piece is a 'masterpiece' the best thing ever created, while others (like me) strongly disagree.

Op, needs to point out what he would like in an anime, otherwise it will be hard to give a GOOD answer.

Well the problem is because I've never watched anime, I really don't have a specific preference. On one hand I can just completely space out and enjoy something kid-friendly like My Neighbor Totoro, and on the other hand I can have a good time watching noobs get owned in Battle Royale.
I think the only way I could develop a taste is if people just threw stuff that they think anyone (who is really familiar with anime) could agree on being really good, and then once I see them, I can make a judgement on if that's a genre I'd like to explore deeper.

JohnBraden 06-23-2011 11:27 PM

I would recommend a classic with good jazzy music and somewhat a western theme-an oldie but a goodie.... Cowboy Bebop.... got me into anime....

JohnBraden 06-23-2011 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WingsToDiscovery (Post 869560)

BTW, your roommate's a total Rei Ayanami fan.... Evangelion isn't one I'd watch first...it messes with your head too much....