JapanForum.com  

View Poll Results: Does watching dubbed anime make you less of a anime fan?
Yes it does. 25 34.25%
No it does not. 48 65.75%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Yamamato (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-16-2007, 02:45 PM

i think its all a matter of preference. i personally can't watch dubbed anime that much, really only when its on tv on the background or something. i like to hear it in its native language, and i honestly don't notice i am reading subtitles anymore. your eyes just get used to reading while watching and it isn't a problem.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Hoolan (Offline)
JF Regular

05-16-2007, 03:04 PM

I prefer subbed i just think dubbed ones make it seem more childish sometimes
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Tolbarizhei (Offline)
is lost without you!

Send a message via ICQ to Tolbarizhei Send a message via AIM to Tolbarizhei Send a message via MSN to Tolbarizhei Send a message via Yahoo to Tolbarizhei
05-16-2007, 03:20 PM

ok.. well to start off. no ones a "truer fan" its all about the appreciation of the art, and if you appreciate by watching, then more power to you,

personally, im a fan of both, but it thoroughly depends on how its used though.. for shows like dragon ball gt.. which i have been watching thoroughly since i got the whole series, id rather watch the subbed version because its completely reworked for the usa, and honestly, it just doesnt have the db feel to it. but in other cases, the dub worked well in pretear (which i actually wanna watch again) so it really is a question of personal taste more than whos better than who.. though this question has been answered time and time again haha

if your that worried about it, just read manga XD

there is one true love in my life.. and sadly it will be fate that will have to hold us together
the light will continue to shine for all..
Fratello, may the angels bless you on the way throughout eternity
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Salvanas (Offline)
Great, just my luck.

05-16-2007, 03:48 PM

It's just personal taste.

Slap your friend for me please :P

- “I've been lucky. I'll be lucky again.” -
(#15 (permalink))
Old
MinamiItsuki (Offline)
As Yuna's guardian...I

Hmm.... which one? - 05-16-2007, 07:08 PM

Ive watched alot more anime series in sub, and a few in Dub. The sub to me is definately better because they capture more of the characteristics of the characters and in sub its usually freakin hilarious.

Although the one anime series that was a work of art in dub was Fullmetal.
Want to laugh your ass off, then watch Speed Grapher in dub.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
IamKira (Offline)
Sulfer + KClO3 + Cu(1)Cl

05-16-2007, 07:36 PM

I'll say.....yeah...good point.....they can be funnie as hell when they are subbed, but, they loose all of that when they are dubbed into english, and probably other languages.......

IamKira
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Hoolan (Offline)
JF Regular

05-16-2007, 07:49 PM

They also make them seem retarded when they speak most of the time
(#18 (permalink))
Old
Katashi (Offline)
Signature Creator

Send a message via Skype™ to Katashi
05-16-2007, 08:29 PM

Japanese is the original form, and if the sub-group has translated it properly ur getting the Japanese version of the story using their culture, history, religions, mythology, society, and ways of life! Including their jokes and daily life situations that no other countries would normally understand!

Course if you watch anime alot, and are hardcore about japanese culture you can eventually easily start to notice these and understand them well! Some
sub groups will also explain these situations along the upper part of the screen!

Now dubbed anime, is a whole different story! Yeah the basic story elements are still there, but everything I explained above is normally removed and replaced with american culture and other crap! Most times ruining the entire anime. Now the normal person that doesn't know anything about Japanese Culture would never notice the difference, but us hardcore Japanese/Anime Lovers do, and its quite annoying and to the point that I can barely watch dubbed anime. Very few dubbed anime retain the original japanese story, but some do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YennonCrow View Post
So, my question is, does it REALLY matter? Whats your opinion?
~Too me, yes it matters alot! I try my best to only watch anime in its original japanese voiced, english subbed versions!

I love making signatures, if you'd like a custom one from me, just ask in my siggy thread!
*My Custom Signatures Album* ~ *Katashi's Signature Request Thread*
Misa Amane Gothic Lolita Video

Last edited by Katashi : 05-16-2007 at 08:31 PM.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
takatofan1986 (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to takatofan1986 Send a message via MSN to takatofan1986
05-16-2007, 08:33 PM

I wrote a college paper about this (Then published it online)

If your interested, check out my debate:

Is Anime subtitled or dubbed - Helium

Human kind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain: something of equal value must first be lost. That is the first law of Equivelant Exchange.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
YennonCrow (Offline)
The Chosen Mind

Send a message via AIM to YennonCrow
Thumbs down 05-16-2007, 09:07 PM

well, let me clear something up... one of the reasons my friend bugged me so much was because she wasn't an anime fan at all. Some guy she liked was a fan of DBZ, and he prefered it in subtitles. So, she became a DBZ fan, and claimed she was a true anime fan because she watched it in subtitles as well. They never even saw any other anime, aside from Pokemon, and Yu-Gi-Oh, which they would go on, and on, and on, about how it MUST be much better subtitled. I really didn't like either show ~.~

Also: I tried not to argue with her, but she was the type of person who liked to argue, and push the subject further ~.~ Which is why we arent friends anymore not just because of the anime thing. Lots of things, lol.

And anyway, I see everyones point :P I like more than the anime. I like learning new things from it ^.^

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.