LinkBack Thread Tools
(#91 (permalink))
Old
phoenixeyes (Offline)
New to JF

08-03-2011, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucia View Post
The more time passes the more older folk there will be into anime/manga, for the same reason that my 60 year old aunt still loves Elvis, we just take these things with us.
I am lucky enough to have made it to 31, and introduced our 8 year old to age appropriate things as time has passed, as I wanted her to appreciate the anime is in itself an art form. My husband was always sceptical of these things, until we went to see Spirited Away and he couldn't take his eyes of it, said how beatiful it was and how high the quality of the art work was compared to many films out there.

The story lines and images used in much of the manga/anime we love has so much more quality to it than soap operas and reality shows and much of the other crap that 'adults' watch, so who cares what anyone thinks!
Amen to that. I am twenty-nine and I have no intention of stopping now because I have loved anime since I first saw Ronin Warriors and read Tokyo Pop when they were only starting out. My best friend caught the fever from me and passed it to her step brother. Right now I am working on my husband but my stepson now recommends series to me. It's truly beautiful when you can take a thing you love and watch it grow as you age.
(#92 (permalink))
Old
dannavy85 (Offline)
JF Regular

02-28-2012, 06:20 PM

I'm over 30, I like...

Robotech
Star Blazers
Astro Boy
Kimba the White Lion
Lupin
FM Alchemist
Bleach
all things Miyazaki

USN Japan 1985 - 1997, best years of my life.
(#93 (permalink))
Old
Wednesday (Offline)
JF Regular

07-17-2014, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
ANIME

009-1 comes out very soon, and I think it appeals to an older crowd as it borrows from so many places that I think we can see, both from older Japanese anime (like Cutey Honey, Dirty Pair,) and from Western sources (007, 60s spy movies)

A Phantom Memory: Kurau was very thoughtful, and I think it has a great appeal to an older (is 30 really that old? I hope not!) crowd.

I thought Bobobo Bo-BO-bobo (or something like that) was hilarious.

MANGA

Your best bet is Dark Horse Manga. MPD-Psycho is very mature, not only in content, but in complexity (in a GOOD way). The Scary Book series I think has more appeal to an older person than a younger one because of the frightening situations children are put into (especially as a parent). I would also highly recommend Museum of Terror (again, if you like horror) for very thoughtful and frightening modern classic scares.

Old Boy is also excellent. Violent and a mental puzzle at the same time.

What else? Mail, Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service, Shaman Warrior, Lone Wold and Cub...

Not Dark Horse, but Death Note is insanely popular for a reason: it is that good.

I love really thought-provoking anime and manga, and am enjoying reading all your thoughts...
That's a nice list.

However, I think it's a bit difficult to talk about mangas for 30+ readers. Maybe if the characters are 30 something. If you ask for adult mangas (without ecchi and hentai), the list of MMM might be ueseful.

I guess that "Eden" is one of mangas I wouldn't recommend to teens. The stroy and topics are quite interesting even though I haven't read it completely. It's quite serious and heavy though.

I also liked "12 days". The pictures are great, Korean art work. It's a romantic tragedy, so, very heavy again. The content is for people with much relationship experience. Well, you can read it as an unexperienced, young person but to understand it fully, I guess it would be more interesting for people older than 30 or 40. It's also kind of a biography and the pacing slightely comparable to "Old Boy".

As a first guess, I would pick "Adolf" and "Afro Samurai". I never read them though.

"Freaks rule!" (._.)v
(#94 (permalink))
Old
doodoofan (Offline)
New to JF

09-20-2014, 04:16 PM

I'd recommend Glass Mask by Suzue Miuchi. It was out in the early 1970, and it's still ongoing. Fans of the manga are urging the author to finish the manga before they die . The story is about a 13-year-old girl named Maya whose only passion is acting. She went through a lot of trouble to continue her acting career, with the secret support of Masumi, the President of a huge company, whom she hated the most because he always appeared to be cold and cruel to her. Things started getting interesting and complicated when Masumi fell in love with Maya. The rest, you should really read the manga to find out.