JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Haggis (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-24-2007, 08:55 PM

Hi thanks for posting that list of recommendations, not heard about Paprika though I like all the stuff by Satoshi Kon, I know a lot of people rave about Paranoia Agent and Perfect Blue but I also highly rate Millenium Actress too... weird, trippy and dream like but in a good way.

When I slag off TokyoPop I have to admit to owning Parasyte, I was really glad that they finished releasing it after Mixxzine came to an end (unlike Dark Horse and Shadow Star ) Still it says a lot about the company that they've dropped the series that was used as the cover image to launch their first publication.

Anyway there's certainly a lot of manga there for me to check out, will get onto it. Thanks again.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
drakenjecht (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-24-2007, 10:11 PM

~deleting deleting~

Last edited by drakenjecht : 05-15-2019 at 03:13 PM.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
ILOVEJAPAN (Offline)
JF Old Timer

your welcome - 05-26-2007, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
Hi thanks for posting that list of recommendations...
Anyway there's certainly a lot of manga there for me to check out, will get onto it. Thanks again.
If you end up buying anything off my list of recomendations then tell me what you got...and what you liked...im always happy to help out a fan of more adult manga and anime. Remember if you want me to give you discriptions of anything I listed, just ask
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Skyraida (Offline)
JF Regular

05-27-2007, 03:53 AM

the more mature anime like paranoia agent really made me question things, the only other ones worthy to mention according to me would be, ergo proxy, night head genesis, noein

(#15 (permalink))
Old
timo (Offline)
JF Regular

Wink 05-27-2007, 09:40 AM

well, I'm waay past 30, and I enjoy a wide variety of anime/manga. Some of my favorites are: full metal panic, noir, last exile, and azumanga daioh. this is a matter of individual taste, but there is something for everyone in this genre. that's the great thing about anime.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
dragonrazor (Offline)
that guy in your dreams

Send a message via AIM to dragonrazor Send a message via MSN to dragonrazor Send a message via Yahoo to dragonrazor
05-27-2007, 12:49 PM

hmm....i can tell you this much. most adult anime (not Hentai, that's a different class of anime) would be either R Rated, or Not Rated in the US. very violent, bloody, hardcore, sometimes full nudity (a la Black Magic M66 or Venus Wars) and lots of profanity. we rarely get that stuff, and even when we do, it tends to be heavily censored

"If we have to dance to the strings of an unseen force, that makes us no better than Zio" Chaz Ashley (not sure japanese name) Phantasy Star: End of the Millenium
(#17 (permalink))
Old
curious_jane (Offline)
"SIT BOY!!"

Send a message via Yahoo to curious_jane
05-27-2007, 02:00 PM

seen all those plus some others, i personally like a wide veriaty of anime/manga. from inuyasha to venus wars, and i'm *cough* 22 and holding . have u seen the shop of horrors?

"...tears don't fall, they crash around me.
My conscience calls, guilty sin come home."
(#18 (permalink))
Old
Haggis (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-27-2007, 03:32 PM

I've got Petshop Of Horrors the manga. It's one of those where I could have picked it up, looked at the art work and decided it wasn't really my sort of thing, but I really got into it, kind of unusual, very moral and a little bit creepy too.

I think a lot of people my age can be very dismissive of anime as childish cartoons, when you say it's for all ages, even adults too then they think you're simply talking about sex and violence. I try to explain to them what films such as Spirited away and Giant Robo have to say about society, religion, technology etc. in an effort to change their minds, but I guess you just don't get it if you don't sit down and watch it.

Of course a lot of it is simply fun to watch too, I made my mate watch Azumanga Daioh, I was nearly in tears with laughter but he just sat there looking very confused and just a little bit scared too - just as well I didn't put Dragon Half on I guess.

Last edited by Haggis : 05-27-2007 at 03:37 PM.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
MelfinaPan (Offline)
Hardcore Kurage

Send a message via AIM to MelfinaPan
05-27-2007, 04:07 PM

Quote:
I've got Petshop Of Horrors the manga. It's one of those where I could have picked it up, looked at the art work and decided it wasn't really my sort of thing, but I really got into it, kind of unusual, very moral and a little bit creepy too.

I think a lot of people my age can be very dismissive of anime as childish cartoons, when you say it's for all ages, even adults too then they think you're simply talking about sex and violence. I try to explain to them what films such as Spirited away and Giant Robo have to say about society, religion, technology etc. in an effort to change their minds, but I guess you just don't get it if you don't sit down and watch it.

Of course a lot of it is simply fun to watch too, I made my mate watch Azumanga Daioh, I was nearly in tears with laughter but he just sat there looking very confused and just a little bit scared too - just as well I didn't put Dragon Half on I guess.
Yeah, I have some problems trying to get friends to understand that anime isn't just about fan service, or sex, or violence, and that it's not all kids stuff like Pokemon. Although, I think people in our age group are more interested and less dissmissive of it than people in their 40's or 50's. Recently, I was talking to my dad about how Howl's Moving Castle talks about war and its effects and also about the concept of beauty. Then I tried to explain how Princess Mononoke talks about man's negative impact on the environment. He didn't get it.

I had to explain to a co-worker the other day that there are thought provoking series' out there. Ghost in the Shell, Parnoia Agent, and etc. He just assumed all anime is like Pokemon.

*MySpace*

Illustrious Keeper of Plastic Tree (Arimura Ryutaro, Hasegawa Tadashi, Nakayama Akira, and Sasabuchi Hiroshi)

(#20 (permalink))
Old
ILOVEJAPAN (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-28-2007, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Whats that about? I REALLY like horror manga. As Im sure you know by now. I was wondering if this was good? Whats it is it about?

BTW I thought of another really good phsycological, trippy, dark film. Akira.