JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Haggis (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Anime and Manga for the over 30s - 05-22-2007, 01:20 AM

I often get the feeling that most people into anime and manga aren't quite as old as me and perhaps have different tastes. Anyone else here over 30? What sort of stuff do you like watching? Would appreciate it if you could recommend stuff I might like, my favourite Anime shows are:

Paranoia Agent
Serial Experiments Lain
Boogiepop Phantom
Neon Genesis Evangelion
and Monster

And as for Manga, well I feel there isn't much out there. I like Phoenix, Buddha, Blade Of The Immortal and Monster and will not even look at anything distributed by TokyoPop, perhaps they do some good stuff too though?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

05-22-2007, 02:00 AM

I am not yet over 30 , but I don't think i will restrict myself to anime/manga genre just because Im over 30 .

I watch a lot of type of anime, from pokemon to evangelion to soul taker ( have not finished this yet ) , to bishojo/bishonen type , to shonen type

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#3 (permalink))
Old
fuu (Offline)
blargh whatever

05-22-2007, 09:58 AM

Not quite 30 yet I'm 2???*cough*....lol anyway why do you not like TokyoPop. Some of my favorite Manga is from them. Anyway, here are a few suggestions that aren't from TP........Negima, Zombie Powder,Rurouni Kenshinn, and Genshiken. I enjoy all of those........If you want my list from TP just ask........ok.....

FEAR ME!!!
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Haggis (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-22-2007, 11:26 AM

Several months ago I went to a comic convention and TokyoPop were there. I asked them why there wasn't more diversity in their releases (for example they weren't interested in releasing manga like Monster and MPD Psycho etc) and they basically said that they were only interested in targetting the teenage audience.

I think the problem is if other companies release manga targetted at a different audience and it doesn't do so well, then they'll give up on it and start pushing out the same sort of titles as TokyoPop. I'd imagine VerticalInc don't get anywhere near the same sort of sales with their Buddha titles but I think it's great that they were brave enough to release it.

It's like music, you need a wide variety of styles, jazz, pop, rock, classical, etc. Pop music is good, but if it's going to be released to the exclusion of all other styles then I think that's a bad thing. Again I love all Anime, but I would hope that titles popular with a younger audience like Naruto, Inu Yasha etc. don't prevent future releases of titles they might not be so interested in (for example why is nobody licencing Monster, Angel's Egg etc?)

Last edited by Haggis : 05-22-2007 at 11:34 AM.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Katashi (Offline)
Signature Creator

Send a message via Skype™ to Katashi
05-22-2007, 11:46 AM

Same here, well I'll be 30 later this year, but thats never stopped me from watching anything that looks interesting to me! Yeah I still watch/play Pokemon, mainly cause its good and its a series/game thats never died out in the funny/fun factors yet.

I still like the occassional bloody, violent, adult natured animes, but I've been finding myself enjoying the younger generation type of shows that don't neccessarily have any violence, or a young cast, or its just cute!

{Ex. even among video games I've been playing and interested in, I've been leaning more to the cuter, younger difficulty games more or less because they're fun! Like I'm looking forward to MySims and the next Harvest Moon on the Wii...}

I love making signatures, if you'd like a custom one from me, just ask in my siggy thread!
*My Custom Signatures Album* ~ *Katashi's Signature Request Thread*
Misa Amane Gothic Lolita Video
(#6 (permalink))
Old
scen (Offline)
lolololol

Send a message via MSN to scen
05-24-2007, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
will not even look at anything distributed by TokyoPop, perhaps they do some good stuff too though?
i read a few things by toykopop that i like, king of hell and king of bandits lol.

and if you wanna know my age i'm, hmm, lets go with 94

no looking at meh profile to check my age now -_-
(#7 (permalink))
Old
IamKira (Offline)
Sulfer + KClO3 + Cu(1)Cl

05-24-2007, 03:06 AM

16 here....but I will still be watching my favorite anime and reading my favorite manga books from the good old days......90's till now......It'l be awesome!!!!!.........and then I can teach my kids of the triumph of a good manga....hehe....gtg...bye

IamKira
(#8 (permalink))
Old
scen (Offline)
lolololol

Send a message via MSN to scen
05-24-2007, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamKira View Post
16 here....but I will still be watching my favorite anime and reading my favorite manga books from the good old days......90's till now......It'l be awesome!!!!!.........and then I can teach my kids of the triumph of a good manga....hehe....gtg...bye

your 16 and have kids!?!? and their old enough to read manga ???

and old manga at that!
(#9 (permalink))
Old
ILOVEJAPAN (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-24-2007, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scen View Post
your 16 and have kids!?!? and their old enough to read manga ???

and old manga at that!
I think she means when she has kids...
(#10 (permalink))
Old
ILOVEJAPAN (Offline)
JF Old Timer

trippy? - 05-24-2007, 06:46 PM

Ok...lets see....you like serial experiment lain, and paranoia agent? Those are both kinda weird trippy and dream like...except not in a good way...in a dark and creepy way...I LOVE the trippy, in a dark and creepy way genre of anime. If you like that, I would recoment seeing the upcoming anime movie PAPRIKA (paprikamovie.com). Its really trippy and its getting really good reveiws. Its all dreamy like and surealy like Lain and Agent, except even darker then both of them.

If you like really phsycological anime and manga I would recomend Eden (manga), Jin-Roh (anime movie), Urusei Yatsura 2: Buetiful dreamer (anime movie), Ghost in the Shell (manga, anime, and 3 anime movies).

If you like REALLY adult and mature stuff then your safest getting horror manga, because from what I have seen thats the most mature manga you can get (besides hentai). Here is a list of recomendations:

(I warn you these are all really gory)

Uzumaki by Junji Ito

Gyo by Junji Ito

Tomie (they released 2 of 4 volumes a few years ago but those are out of print, they are curently released as part of a 3 volume sereise called museum of terror, volume 1 is about 400 pages and it contains volumes 1 and 2 of tomie, which are both about 200 pages, volume 2 is about 400 pages and it contains volumes 3 and 4 of tomie, which are both about 200 pages, and volume 3 is a colection of short stories by the same author...did you get all that?) by Junji Ito

Parasyte (originaly released by Tokyopop but they droped the sereise because it was to adult for their manley teen audiance, now DelRey is publishing it) by Hitoshi Iwaaki

The ring sereise (ok, this one is complicated, they are all adaptions of the novels by Koji Suzuki and/or the japanese ring films, the manga isnt exactly numberd but here is the order they go in The Ring 1, The Ring 2, Spiral, Birthday, The Ring 0, and they arent even all by the same author, The Ring Volume 1 was drawn by Misao Inagaki and writen by Hiroshi Takahashi, The Ring Volume 2 was drawn by Meimu and writen by Hiroshi Takahashi, Spiral was writen and drawn by Sakura Mizuki, Birthday was writen and drawn by Meimu, The Ring 0 was drawn by Meimu and writen by Hiroshi Takahashi)

Dragon Head by Minetaro Mochizuki

The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service by Eiji Otsuka and Housui Yamazaki

The Drifting Classroom by Kazuo Umezu

Ju-On Vidio Side (based on the japanese movie) by Miki Rinno

Ju-On Volume 2 (also based on the movie) by Meimu

Dark Water (based on the book by Koji Suzuki) by Meimu

Hino Horror by Hideshi Hino

(The next few on the list are really perverted)

MPD Psyco Writen by Eiji Otsuka, Drawn by Sho-U Tajima

Koroshiya Ichi (not available in english but if they do release it in the U.S. eventualy, it will probably be translated as Ichi the Killer because thats how they translated the title of the film when they brought it over seas) by Hideo Yamamoto

WARNING: THE FOLOWING IS A GENRE OF HENTAI CALLED EROTIC GROTESQUE, IT IS EXTREMLEY PERVERTED!!!!

mr arashi's amazing freak show (out of print) by Suehiro Maruo

Ultra-Gash Inferno (out of print) by Suehiro Maruo

ANIME ADAPTIONS OF HORROR MANGA:

Midori (adaption of mr arashi's amazing freak show)

Ichi the Killer episode 0 (adaption of Koroshiya Ichi)

If anyone who hasnt seen or read any of the anime or manga I recomended, wants a more detailed description or has any questions then just ask.

Last edited by ILOVEJAPAN : 05-24-2007 at 07:26 PM.