JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Samael (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Diebuster - 06-17-2007, 01:33 PM

Why the hell did I wait so long to see this? Friggin epic man, seriously. FLCL's artist and director doing a space opera mech OVA? I demand to know why I wasn't informed of this sooner.

Supposedly your supposed to see the original Gunbuster before watching so you get all the references. I didn't really care though, even without any backround I found this amazing in every way. I usually don't dig the super robot style, but I'll admit it, Dix Neuf (pictured below with it's lovely pilot Lark) is on of my all time favorites now. Simply bristling with concealed weaponry and sporting a nice coat to boot. Some of the other Buster Machines seemed pretty great too, but Dix Neuf get's the most screen time and has the best story.

For a six episode OVA it certainly packed a lot of good story into it as well. It's protagonist Nono goes from ditsy bar maid to dishing out KOS-MOS style mass alien smack downs in the course of a few episodes, but it feels neither rushed nor contrived. In fact, under the circumstances it makes perfect sense.

Art quality was astoundingly good. I loved everything about it, no adjustment period required, I was instantly immersed. Story is full of epic space battles and swarms of aliens, awesome mecha, interesting characters, and gorgeous scenery. In summary Diebuster = Win.