JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Samael (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Gurren Lagann - 07-16-2007, 03:14 PM

No Gurren Lagann thread here yet? I'm shocked. SPOILER ALERT!!!

This is Gainax' triumphant return to kick ass mecha series. Now admitiedly, I'm more of a "real" mecha fan, not so much into the super robot "hotblood and courage" genre. Gurren Lagann is so epic though it's hard not to like it. Once you get past the silly mecha designs it's a very enjoyable series. Though it's a very whimsical fantasy throughout , it shows a suprising level of depth and a very well written plotline full of interesting and amusing characters that both make you laugh your ass off and earn your respect. There's also numerous references to Gainax' earlier work and other series, such as Gunbuster, Evangelion, Diebuster, FLCL, hell there's even a Spongebob Squarepants reference in one episode. It certanly full of hotblood, GAR and courage, but instead of being campy and cliche Gurren Lagann has created a universe in which this sort of macho bravado actually fits, and even still it manages so feel human and real instead of some comic book super hero story with giant robots.

Honestly, I never thought I enjoy this series half as much as I am. Great thing is it's not over yet. It's still currently airing in Japan. You can find episodes 1-15 fansubbed from various sources and episode 17 is airing on Saturday in Japan. Hopefully someone is working on 16 already and 17 as soon as it airs. It is definatly worth the download, and I will be buying DVDs when they're availible.

Last edited by Samael : 07-16-2007 at 08:54 PM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Samael (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-16-2007, 03:21 PM

More pics. Above image is Kamina at left, Simon in the middle, and Yoko at right.

Yoko = Hot

And the invincible demon Lord Kamina of the DaiGurren Brigade!!! "I am the one who will grip the sun itslf, no matter how hot it may be. The one who walks the road of a real man, I am Lord Kamina!!!"

(#3 (permalink))
Old
Samael (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-16-2007, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaksokuDa View Post
Me too! Can't believe there wasn' a thread like this earlier!

Also, it's finishing kinda early, episode 16 Or will it just be a recap and then carry on with the story? Hmm.
Woah woah, watch the spoilers there.

Yes, episode 16 is a recap. There will be a time skip. I'm not saying anymore. :P
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Samael (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-16-2007, 08:54 PM

Ah, that line made me shit brix.

Spoiler's be damned, I will now post the new character designs for the second half of the series!

(#5 (permalink))
Old
OG2DFan (Offline)
New to JF

07-18-2007, 01:16 AM

Definitely a return to form for Gainax on TV. I won't count Gunbuster 2 since it's an OVA, but Gurren Langann is on par with FLCL in terms of animation mastery... and a decent story. I love it!!!
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Samael (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-23-2007, 02:40 AM

17 is out in raws for those fluent in Japanese. For those of us limited to English, we're waiting on subs hopefully to be released tomorrow. This is approaching Gunbuster/Diebuster levels of epic. Definatly watch this series if you havn't yet.

Tokyo Toshokan :: #tokyotosho @ irc.rizon.net :: Torrent Search

Raws here, subs will be there as soon as there availible.

Oh and here's the new opening for the secnd half. Garlock Simon is here!

YouTube - Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann Opening Theme 2