JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Haggis (Offline)
JF Old Timer

The End Of Evangelion? - 07-26-2007, 12:57 PM

First came the videos, then the dvd's, then we had the perfect collections, the platinum collections, the director's cut, the movies and the manga, so do we really need more Evangelion?

Now I really like the series, probably one of my favourites, but I don't think you could ever have a sequel, and there's only so many times you can retell the original story (or so I thought)

So reading about 'Rebuild of Evangelion' I'm told "the series is intended to be much more understandable and accessible to non-fans than the original TV series and movies". That don't sound too good, the endless debates were part of the whole appeal I thought.

So what do you think? Have you seen the trailer of the new movie yet? Can you be bothered to have a look? Is the live action movie a good idea? Maybe an Angelic Days movie would be better? Personally I just wish they'd complete the manga and bring the whole thing to an end.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Yggdrazzil (Offline)
Gone since 02-08-2007

Send a message via MSN to Yggdrazzil
07-26-2007, 01:21 PM

Isn't this partly a matter of just trying to squeeze more money out of a cash-cow thats running dry?

The end of the original series was very hard on a lot of people, I guess a remake was justified. But like my gran always used to say "There's only so many patches you can stick on a flat tire."

I say put those creative minds to a whole new manga and anime series with what you learned in the past!!

Bye
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Samael (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-26-2007, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yggdrazzil View Post

I say put those creative minds to a whole new manga and anime series with what you learned in the past!!
They're doing that. It's called Gurren Lagann, and it is win.

Evangelion is what made me a mech nut and an anime fan, so it has a paticularly special place on my favorites list. That being said, Eva floundered miserably in portraying it's themes in a logical and concise manner. It was vague and confusing in all the wrong areas. Part of this was due to it's well known budget issues, but most of it was really just lack of direction. It had very lofty goals and fell short of them due to it's staff and director not being able to decide on how to portray them, or not being able to.

This will not be an issue with rebuild. Anno and the staff know exactly what they're trying to do, they have the money to throw at it to make it possible, and production team composed of some of the biggest talents in the industry. Frankly I'd be shocked if this was anything short of epic, but of course I reserve judgement until seeing it.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
mamok (Offline)
JF Regular

07-26-2007, 04:15 PM

When I noticed your topic I was quite shocked,Evanegelion was the second anime serie I watched and till now I watched it 3 times always finding out something new about it. It's one of the series Iam proud to have in my collection. At first i had thought that there shouldn't be more of it cause for me it was almost perfect (not to mention lack of the budget and last episodes, but even with this it was piece of art) but if Hideaki Anno is doing it I changed my mind, I hope he will have free hand with it like in Evangelion. After evangelion I watched kare kano also made by Hideaki and it was really good, although he couldnt do anything he wanted and Masami Tsuda decided not to let him finish it because it was starting to look a little psychological like evangelion...I liked it very much. So i decided to read manga (it was the first manga i have ever read) but I liked it much more when it was reinterpreted by Hideaki Anno...eh why didn't they let him finish it...
I went off topic a little but conclusion is, no matter what it is if it is made by Hideaki I can't wait!

and slowly...you come to realize...it's all as it should be...you can only do so much. if you're game enought...you could place your trust in me...
(#5 (permalink))
Old
mamok (Offline)
JF Regular

07-26-2007, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
So reading about 'Rebuild of Evangelion' I'm told "the series is intended to be much more understandable and accessible to non-fans than the original TV series and movies". That don't sound too good, the endless debates were part of the whole appeal I thought.
I found this as an original statement from Hideaki:
"Although it seems obvious, we aim to create a form of entertainment that anyone can look forward to; one that people who have never seen Evangelion can easily adjust to, one that can engage audiences as a movie for theatres, and one that produces a new understanding of the world."
It doesn't necessary mean it will be dumbly told so everyone can understand. I would rather say it will be made so anyone can watch it without watching the "old" evangelion...I hope so

and slowly...you come to realize...it's all as it should be...you can only do so much. if you're game enought...you could place your trust in me...
(#6 (permalink))
Old
HIalchemist (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-26-2007, 04:52 PM

GO ASUKA!..I saw clips from it. What was it like? I heard shinji and asuka did it.

(#7 (permalink))
Old
popcornprince (Offline)
New to JF

08-04-2007, 03:09 AM

i think it is quite a fine line with Evangelion. its either gonna be awesum the way i love it, or its gonna b quite poor by making it all 2 simple. 1 of the great things about nge was the fact that it required thought and all the forums that have come from it are mind blowing. Im all for rebuild, and if anno ruins eva with it, then the death threats that he got last time are gonna be nothing compared to wat he will get from it.

In Anno we trust