JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
rayluber95 (Offline)
New to JF

Talking Becoming a manga-ka~!!! - 07-29-2007, 05:45 PM

For a really long time I've wanted to become a manga-ka. How do I? Are they discovered by agents at anime conventions, or do they send their work off to a publisher, or...what? This site is so kewl and helpful~!!!

People keep saying that flying is the safest way to travel, but I've never seen a tricycle get hijacked by terrorists. OHMIGAWD~!!! I just burned all your butts! Put that in your juice box and suck it advertisers!

Someone should sue red bull for false advertising. It does NOT give you wings...I found that out the hard way...

What we do today will forever echo throughout eternity...so don't screw it up.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
ILOVEJAPAN (Offline)
JF Old Timer

yea - 07-29-2007, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayluber95 View Post
For a really long time I've wanted to become a manga-ka. How do I? Are they discovered by agents at anime conventions, or do they send their work off to a publisher, or...what? This site is so kewl and helpful~!!!
Yea, you can send work in. I cant think of many companys that are publishing american manga, other then Tokyopop.

Also, they do look at peoples work at cons but you gotta stand in a big line and you dont get a chance to show them much. They like seeing stories that they get what its about after reading just a few pages.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
forgotenmemory (Offline)
Where's the rock lobster?

07-29-2007, 06:31 PM

Must find anime canvention!!!

MY JF FAMILY and Fellow Pervs
http://www.freewebs.com/fantasyfact/jffamily.htm
Perv Dance
1 2 3 step step jump step step grope step step touch step step kiss and *SLap!!!
fantasyfact.proboards54.com
(#4 (permalink))
Old
kirayamato1992 (Offline)
JF Regular

07-30-2007, 12:26 PM

Quote:
U can send your work to a manga publisher or a comic magazine publisher.
I would really like to see your work. Can I?

The key that holds the power of the stars
Reveal your true form to me
I, Sakura, commands thee under convent
Release!
(#5 (permalink))
Old
rayluber95 (Offline)
New to JF

Smile 07-30-2007, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirayamato1992 View Post
U can send your work to a manga publisher or a comic magazine publisher.
I would really like to see your work. Can I?
Well, first of all, I'm kinda speaking furure wise since I'm still a kid. It's not really done yet, plus my style isn't really in the most popular genre section... STUPID ADVERTISERS! Anyways, do they just put it in? I mean, is there some kinda requirment that damn and hell can't be in it, or there has to be a certain ammount of fight scenes, or no squirrels that rule the world...?

People keep saying that flying is the safest way to travel, but I've never seen a tricycle get hijacked by terrorists. OHMIGAWD~!!! I just burned all your butts! Put that in your juice box and suck it advertisers!

Someone should sue red bull for false advertising. It does NOT give you wings...I found that out the hard way...

What we do today will forever echo throughout eternity...so don't screw it up.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
ILOVEJAPAN (Offline)
JF Old Timer

nope! - 07-31-2007, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Well, first of all, I'm kinda speaking furure wise since I'm still a kid. It's not really done yet, plus my style isn't really in the most popular genre section... STUPID ADVERTISERS! Anyways, do they just put it in? I mean, is there some kinda requirment that damn and hell can't be in it, or there has to be a certain ammount of fight scenes, or no squirrels that rule the world...?
Nope! You can put whatever you want in your manga. Although, that dosent nessacarily mean that there going to be willing to publish it.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Kanji_The_Wanderer (Offline)
風林火山

07-31-2007, 03:48 AM

There are many requirements to becoming a Manga-ka...But a great place to start is at a convention like everyone has been saying. At most Anime cons a member of the manga company Tokyopop is present, and they can look at your work and so forth and see what you have to offer.

I haven't been to one yet myself, but by going to one of those is a great way to get your foot in the door. Of course you have to understand the concepts of color, shadow, light effects and so on. You also have to be able to draw buildings in perspective.

A great place to look at manga artist's work is at Tokyopop.com I think that is the address. They have this competition called "The Rising Stars of Manga" and the winners they make members of their company. Not many other companies take Americans, so that is a good one to go for. A lot of their artists are amazing! Good luck, myself and some of my friends are striving for the same dream!
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Haruko (Offline)
New to JF

07-31-2007, 10:03 PM

It all sounds so exciting! I might send in my work for the Rising Stars of manga if I can get my $h!t together.

I sure do loves my Panda Bear! I feed him bamboo everyday to makes him big and strong! So he can protect me. His lovely Kitty cat.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
ILOVEJAPAN (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-01-2007, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanji_The_Wanderer View Post
There are many requirements to becoming a Manga-ka...But a great place to start is at a convention like everyone has been saying. At most Anime cons a member of the manga company Tokyopop is present, and they can look at your work and so forth and see what you have to offer.

I haven't been to one yet myself, but by going to one of those is a great way to get your foot in the door. Of course you have to understand the concepts of color, shadow, light effects and so on. You also have to be able to draw buildings in perspective.

Its good to have certaint art skills, but there are some famouse manga-ka that cant draw for crap (its more about the storys). Trust me, there are NO requirments. Just do whatever the hell you want.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Kanji_The_Wanderer (Offline)
風林火山

08-01-2007, 03:33 AM

Well, if you can't draw for crap it is much easier to have your book over-looked. A good artist who can excel at both art and a storyline will hit it off better. That is the main reason why I said that.... Since for me, the story can be awesome, but if I don't like what I am looking at, then I just cannot enjoy it the same as I would enjoy a manga book by a better artist.

Practice makes perfect, so it is best to sharpen the skills in all these areas, not just rely on one.