JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
dannavy85 (Offline)
JF Regular

1989: One after the other, an interesting observation. - 08-24-2007, 06:53 PM

It was January 1989, I was stationed at NAF Atsugi at the time when the news broke that Emperor Hirohito had died of old age. What an amazing time, the last leader of World War II, the last true Imperial Sovereign of Japan to display any true power over the people had passed.

There wasn't anything remarkable about the period, certainly the Japanese people reacted with little visable emotions. There was an emptiness you could see in the displays of rememberance. Of course Hirohito was very old, had lived a full life, experianced a passing of history profound, devistating and forfilling for his nation. His death had been expected.

Then came February 9th. That morning Osamu Tezuka had been working late in his drawing room at home when his elder son found him lying on the floor. The old man had kept his terminal cancer a secret and kept drawing till his last breath.

The effect on the Japanese nation was at once catastrophic and heart breaking, the whole nation from child to elder cried with an emotional outburst as if a father, a beloved family member, a president had been swiftly and unjustly taken before his time. Men who were once children surviving the immediate aftermath of World War II wept unshamed at the loss of this sustainer, who's manga was the one bright light in a moment of national darkness.

NHK news anchors wept. Men on the streets, in stores, in hotels wept. Children hanged drawings of Tezuka characters and wept. This man, this simple friendly old common man, the son of a photographer who loved Walt Disney and chased bugs all his life had been more openly mourned and cried for than a man of privilage and sovereign status.

I watched citizens gather for memorials, the largest starting at a park in Osaka where over 500,000 people lined the route from the memorial house to Tezuka's boyhood home in Takarazuka. He was just more than a simple artist. He was a teacher, a mentor, a sempei, a friend and he came of the common man.

It was....a remarkable period of history.

USN Japan 1985 - 1997, best years of my life.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Lien (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to Lien
... - 08-24-2007, 07:00 PM

That's very emotional

(#3 (permalink))
Old
terra104 (Offline)
SIT BOY!

08-25-2007, 11:54 AM

its not wealth or power that draws people to a person, its the light and hope he gives them, and in this case, his drawings in a time of darkness and death, has drawn a smile on their faces!
no wonder he was mourned! people loved him!

" i don't SUFFER from insanity, i ENJOY it"

SEE MY SIGGY AND DIE OF ENVY!!

proud chief psychologist of Aoshi Shinomori
(#4 (permalink))
Old
dannavy85 (Offline)
JF Regular

08-25-2007, 10:34 PM

He sure was ahead of the times in many worldly issues, like civil rights. Astro Boy was all about minority rights and how human beings should eventually handle the possibility of artificial self-thinking life. You couldn't help but be drawn both in senses and in visual wonder at how deep Tezuka's art could be and yet his staff pulled their hair out all the time at conventions because they couldn't get the old man to stop drawing for fans, he really nurtured his connection to his fan base.

USN Japan 1985 - 1997, best years of my life.