JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Animekitty (Offline)
great sage of wisdom

Unhappy Dead ended anime - 10-02-2007, 11:55 PM

Although I understand that there are significant economic issues when producing anything, I really can't stand the way some animes end without resolving their hanging plot threads.

I've recently finished watching Moon Phase (and working hard to forget there was ever a #26) and Fruits Basket and felt almost cheated by their endings.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-02-2007, 11:56 PM

And now the largest anime publisher in the US has gone under. Geneon licences a TON of titles. This is real bad news.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Powermad147 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-03-2007, 12:02 AM

As long as GAINAX exists in america, I'm good. However, I know just what you mean, Although my experiences were with manga. Remember trigun? the original two volumes were great, but the ending was so rushed that i felt like the original pair of manga lost all there value, and left it up to trigun maximum. I got so pissed, I never even read the maximum series -_-

(#4 (permalink))
Old
DarknessDescends (Offline)
JF Regular

10-03-2007, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
And now the largest anime publisher in the US has gone under. Geneon licences a TON of titles. This is real bad news.
What is the effect of that though?
(Sorry, I live in Sweden so I'm not that familiar with this)

Eiri is my mom ^___^
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-03-2007, 12:45 AM

I don't know what the effect will be, but there are a TON of series that may be cut off if rights aren't sold to other companies. I sure hope that doesn't happen...
(#6 (permalink))
Old
ivi0nk3y (Offline)
Calm Like A Bomb

10-03-2007, 12:50 AM

Quote:
I don't know what the effect will be, but there are a TON of series that may be cut off if rights aren't sold to other companies. I sure hope that doesn't happen...
Hopefully not a problem as long as the internet and translators/subtitlers exist.

Truth Hurts

LIFE THREATENING
Lifestyles
A HITMAN, A NUN
Lovers
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Haggis (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-03-2007, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Hopefully not a problem as long as the internet and translators/subtitlers exist.
Fansubs are ok but I often prefer to buy anime because:

1) I like to choose whether I want to watch the dubbed or subbed version and I don't want to be forced down the subbed route only.

2) Companies generally do a better job of displaying subtitles too. There've been a number of fansubs where the subtitles were too small or were an unusual colour or font that made them difficult to read from a distance.

3) I like special features, I thought the commentaries on Boogiepop Phantom and the Evangelion movies were particularly good. Maybe if companies added more special features people would be more tempted to buy them rather then download.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-03-2007, 08:42 AM

I agree with you Haggis,

As a translator myself, people depending on fansubs and scanlations only hurts the legit companies and makes the chances of in-hand product get lower. If you love a title, support the licensor who brought it to your country. We hear about this with music all the time, but really, this is more dangerous with anime and manga, I beleive. Simply, the more of you that read (half-assed) translations online, the more titles that will be cancelled in English.

It is really that simple.

We work hard to bring you the best product in English. If you are going to go to the corner crack dealer, then the pubisher will be forced to find a new title, or go out of businsess.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Tsuzuki (Offline)
冷血の私生児

Send a message via ICQ to Tsuzuki Send a message via MSN to Tsuzuki Send a message via Yahoo to Tsuzuki Send a message via Skype™ to Tsuzuki
10-03-2007, 09:39 AM

I love dead ended anime's ^^;
yay
Dattebayo !!!!!!

ギャー(*0*((◎—————ー(°°; ) スッポヌケ〜
✿ あなた だけ が みれば いい... 狂気と真実は紙一重 ✿

そして坊やは眠りについて 息衝く灰の中の炎ひとつ、ふたつと 浮かぶふくらみ愛しい横顔 大地に垂るる幾千の夢、夢 銀の瞳のゆら(◕‿‿◕ )
It's a thin line between genius and stupidity. Once you cross it there is no going back!! Luckily I have tippex and a pen so I can just redraw it where I like!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA =_=

†♫†
(#10 (permalink))
Old
ivi0nk3y (Offline)
Calm Like A Bomb

10-03-2007, 11:19 AM

Quote:
I agree with you Haggis,

As a translator myself, people depending on fansubs and scanlations only hurts the legit companies and makes the chances of in-hand product get lower. If you love a title, support the licensor who brought it to your country. We hear about this with music all the time, but really, this is more dangerous with anime and manga, I beleive. Simply, the more of you that read (half-assed) translations online, the more titles that will be cancelled in English.

It is really that simple.

We work hard to bring you the best product in English. If you are going to go to the corner crack dealer, then the pubisher will be forced to find a new title, or go out of businsess.
Its all well and good about supporting the licensor (and I normally buy mine when I can) but I mean if you can't buy it then obviously fansubs etc are only option left.

Truth Hurts

LIFE THREATENING
Lifestyles
A HITMAN, A NUN
Lovers