JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Graciie (Offline)
Will Eat Your Children!

Talking Fushigi Yugi - 10-16-2007, 04:25 PM

Ive just finishing watching Fushigi Yugi and this is one of my all time favorites. Im gutted and can anyone reccomend an anime similar to this that I can start to watch. Thanks

Plot -
Miaka Yūki is a junior-high student desperate to pass the entrance exam for the illustrious Jonan High School. Her best friend, Yui Hongo is a straight A genius applying for the same school, and her mother is pushing her also in an attempt to see Miaka gets the best education available, although Miaka would rather attend Yotsubadai High School. The result is Miaka is constantly under pressure to study and attends juku (cram school) every day, when she’d rather be with her friends and eating.

While Yui is returning a book in the library, Miaka drops a coin by the food machine (in the anime). When she reaches down for it, Suzaku appears before her and leads her into the Restricted Section. As the girls go through the books, Miaka stumbles across The Universe of the Four Gods and both girls start to read. In a flash of bright red light, the two girls are then sucked into the book-world, and after an encounter with slave-traders and a man with the kanji for oni 鬼 (translated as demon or ogre) written on his forehead (Tamahome), Yui is returned to Japan in another blast of red light, leaving Miaka alone and unaware of Yui's whereabouts.

Back in the library, Yui is shocked when she finds that everything that happened up until this point has been written in the book and continues reading, an outside observer to Miaka, who is still within the other universe.

Trying to find the boy who helped her earlier in an effort to locate Yui, Miaka travels the empire of Konan ("Hong Nan" in the manga) and runs into a gang looking to sell her to a brothel. Tamahome steps in and helps her again, and in trying to repay him, gets them into a sticky situation with the Emperor’s men. They try to escape the dungeon, only to come across the Emperor Hotohori himself, who explains that they believe Miaka is the legendary Priestess of Suzaku (Suzaku no Miko), a girl from another world who will gather Konan’s Celestial Warriors and summon the phoenix god, Suzaku.

Doing so will grant her the power to grant any three wishes. Miaka decides to accept the responsibility, and already has a head-start, as Tamahome and Hotohori are two of the seven Celestial Warriors, distinguishable by characters for their respective constellations on their bodies. The third, Nuriko, is found quickly afterwards in a somewhat unconventional way. Soon Miaka and company are setting out across Konan in search of the other four warriors.

The series describes their travels and their adventures along the way to summoning Suzaku, enduring various trials along the way, both quest-driven and personal. There are also frequent clashes with Yui, who has become the country of Kutō's (or "Qu Dong" in the manga) Priestess of Seiryū and thus making the former best friends deadly enemies and rivals, along with the Seiryū Celestial Warriors.

(Thankyou Wikipedia)

~ Visual Kei ~
(#2 (permalink))
Old
nobora (Offline)
Fan Ichigou

02-01-2009, 02:43 AM

One of the first series I ever finished reading I love it >.< I ove Yuu watase's work~!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Tsuyako (Offline)
Milkshake critic &lt;3

Send a message via MSN to Tsuyako Send a message via Skype™ to Tsuyako
02-01-2009, 12:12 PM

Oh wow! I adore this series so much! I haven't read or watched anything that's similar to this but when I do, I'll definately let you know to be honest, I don't know if anything compares to this

~Tsuyako~
つや子
If music be the food of love, play on

www.myspace.com/strawberrymilkshake1992
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Blac (Offline)
JF Regular

02-01-2009, 04:06 PM

Simalar in what way?

Saiunkoku Monogatari probably have similar environment

Kyou kara Maou similar but its a bit of a yaoi