LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
ivi0nk3y (Offline)
Calm Like A Bomb

11-26-2007, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuna7780 View Post
NGE is possibly the most controversal anime I've stumbled upon. No matter how many times I watch my dvds... I'm still confused, but I learn a bit more everytime.
Yea took me a couple of watches to get it pegged down too. I don't see why its so controversial though Its not like it had under age sex or anything.

Truth Hurts

LIFE THREATENING
Lifestyles
A HITMAN, A NUN
Lovers
(#22 (permalink))
Old
ILOVEJAPAN (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-26-2007, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivi0nk3y View Post
Yea took me a couple of watches to get it pegged down too. I don't see why its so controversial though Its not like it had under age sex or anything.
Wasn't there some kind of cult religion based on Evangelion? Or was that just some internet BS? I'm never really sure what is true, and what isn't.

With all the violants, sex, torture, rape, S&M, incest, pedophilia, necrophelia, and bestiality in manga you would think it would be more controversial. Japanese seem to except it, but if some of the stuff that's published in Japan was published here, I think there would be huge contreversy. That is assuming that it got enough exposure.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

11-26-2007, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILOVEJAPAN View Post
Wasn't there some kind of cult religion based on Evangelion? Or was that just some internet BS? I'm never really sure what is true, and what isn't.

With all the violants, sex, torture, rape, S&M, incest, pedophilia, necrophelia, and bestiality in manga you would think it would be more controversial. Japanese seem to except it, but if some of the stuff that's published in Japan was published here, I think there would be huge contreversy. That is assuming that it got enough exposure.
A lot of it IS published in the US...very quietly.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
Crelrn (Offline)
クレルんノホノオ

11-26-2007, 06:39 AM

Evangelion is definetely a controversial anime! So are, Death Note, Boogiepop Phantom, Ghost in the Shell, Akira and Revolutionary Girl Utena.

They banned any Death Note paraphernilia at my school. It really sucks
Same with Evangelion; it offended the Christian students. It seems like everything good's getting banned at my school . I wasn't offended, but I'm Atheist, so
(#25 (permalink))
Old
ivi0nk3y (Offline)
Calm Like A Bomb

11-26-2007, 08:13 AM

Well its controversial if Evangelion takes the piss out of Christianity. It doesn't do that though. Its only controversial cos people don't know wtf they're watching when they want to ban it -_-'
Seriously, dumb people shouldn't have an opinion. So many people said movies like The Matrix sucked, just cos they didn't understand it.
So stuff becomes controversial based on someones stupid opinion and more likely than not, the movie or whatever isnt as bad as they say.
Even so, controversy just goes to make something more popular anyway -_-'
I bet if something was REALLY controversial, you'd never hear about it on the news. Only inconsequential stuff crops up.

Truth Hurts

LIFE THREATENING
Lifestyles
A HITMAN, A NUN
Lovers
(#26 (permalink))
Old
ILOVEJAPAN (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-26-2007, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
A lot of it IS published in the US...very quietly.
I have seen a good amount of extremley violant and sexual guro movie's in subs, but I can't find ANY guro manga in english (except for some Maruo), and am lucky if I find any scanlations.

Or are you talking about original works? I have heard of S&M novels being published in english, but I doubt that they are really as bad as they sound.