JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   English & Other Language Help (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/english-other-language-help/)
-   -   Crazy English.:. (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/english-other-language-help/10146-crazy-english.html)

PoissonApple 03-01-2011 08:56 PM

Oh and before I forget it...
This is a stupid thread!
Every language have their strange cants and words. I guess it is everywhere the same! You see words, which are similar, but mean different things!
Don't tell me Japanese is easy or not as difficult! No even more difficult as English ; )
Japanese have so many written signs, where all of them mean different things, especially if you write them wrong! -.-

Oh and by the way you can't make a plural out of a verb or an adverb! This is stupid although it is funny.. in a kind of a way!

protheus 03-01-2011 09:44 PM

This isn't to judge the language! Although you see it like a "Stupid thread", actually this helps non-english people in the learning process.

One more, difference in pronouncing similar groups in different words: "choir" and "choice". Although the group "cho" is in general read the same, "choir" is an exception to that rule.

Suki 03-04-2011 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoissonApple (Post 853736)
Oh and before I forget it...
This is a stupid thread!
Every language have their strange cants and words. I guess it is everywhere the same! You see words, which are similar, but mean different things!
Don't tell me Japanese is easy or not as difficult! No even more difficult as English ; )
Japanese have so many written signs, where all of them mean different things, especially if you write them wrong! -.-

Oh and by the way you can't make a plural out of a verb or an adverb! This is stupid although it is funny.. in a kind of a way!

What the hell are you talking about? I never said English was more difficult than Japanese. In fact, I think English is one of the easiest languages to learn. And for the record, this thread is not to be taken seriosuly, just thought it was funny and wanted to share is all.

TalnSG 03-07-2011 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dogsbody70 (Post 850486)
I think you mean Pronunciation rather than Pronounce. You pronounce something and the Pronunciation IS:

:pinkbow:
Domo arigato!
That is a pet peeve of mine that I hear Americans misusing more and more often.

tokusatsufan 03-10-2011 05:57 PM

I think fingers should fing. In fact my fingers are finging now. I'm finging annoyed about it!

Japanese does have an awful lot of words that mean the same thing though.
Plus it also has male and female words,which is a big problem in Welsh because I don't want to say the English word for something,but the Welsh is a feminine word.

TalnSG 03-10-2011 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tokusatsufan (Post 855393)
Japanese does have an awful lot of words that mean the same thing though.
Plus it also has male and female words,which is a big problem in Welsh because I don't want to say the English word for something,but the Welsh is a feminine word.

ok you piqued my curiosity. Example in English, that would be odd in the feminine Welsh? (No, I don't speak Welsh other than one phrase - Binq draig - and I doubt I spelled it right).

tokusatsufan 03-10-2011 11:29 PM

I mean there's some words in Welsh that appear to only be able to said by one gender.

RobinMask 03-10-2011 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tokusatsufan (Post 855440)
I mean there's some words in Welsh that appear to only be able to said by one gender.

I'm curious, but could you give examples? It's just I wonder what language has words only spoken by one gender, wouldn't it hinder speaking in some way or make conveying a meaning rather difficult? Or do the feminine words have a masculine equivilant, so that the vocabulary isn't lost for the other gender?

TalnSG 03-11-2011 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobinMask (Post 855442)
I'm curious, but could you give examples? It's just I wonder what language has words only spoken by one gender, wouldn't it hinder speaking in some way or make conveying a meaning rather difficult? Or do the feminine words have a masculine equivilant, so that the vocabulary isn't lost for the other gender?

Oh, I can think a few examples in English where something is referred to with different words depending on the speaker's gender. However, it's a case of common usuage, not anything specifically defined. And those words are not repeatable in civil discourse adn the phrasing is definitely classes as slang. Demeaning, anatomical, gender specific curse words, tend to be gender specific as to who usually uses them.

But if we are talking about words commonly used, I still would like more info.

MargaritoGraves 03-19-2011 08:18 AM

You should go for this...Grammar lessons, vocabulary, business terms, idioms and wordgames for learners of English.