JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   English & Other Language Help (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/english-other-language-help/)
-   -   Crazy English.:. (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/english-other-language-help/10146-crazy-english.html)

MMM 12-24-2007 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnell (Post 335236)
"Who here is a grammar nerd?"
*raises hand sheepishly*

I gotta rap on this "there's vs there're" issue again, I'm afraid n_n;;; .

Even though English is pretty slim on verb conjugation as far as Indo-European languages go, we DO have rules for conjugating verbs. "Be" (to be) does conjugate. It goes to "are" for second person aspect and also for plural number. It goes to "is" for third person aspect and also singular number. Then, it goes to "am" for first person aspect with singular number. Verbs agree with the subject that they modify, hence talking about "loads of people", a plural subject, requires that the verb "to be"* be conjugated to "are" because of the plural number.

So, when you use the existential phrase "there [to be]" in the case of "loads of people", you would say "there are." Since we English speakers love contractions, the grammatically correct word is "there're," not "there's".

For those reasons, I can't accept it when people say "there's" with a plural subject, even in colloquial speech. It doesn't seem lazy to me, actually. To me, and I mean no offense to anybody, it seems ignorant and apathetic.

*This is for those who are starting out learning English:

"To be" is roughly equivelant (sp?) to "desu" (or "estar/ser" if you've studied Spanish at all). But, "there [to be]" is more equivelant to the "aru/iru" verbs. To me, saying "there's" for a plural subject would be like a gaijin using "irimasu" for something inanimate (like a coin or a bowl).

"There's trees" approximates to "Neko ga arimasu" in grammatical correctness.

Great points. Hand held up high! I may not be perfect at English grammar, but I try.

Grammar nerd question:

I often hyphenate adjectives before a noun if they are two words, but I know some people don't like that. For example: I like "rose-colored glasses" over "rose colored glasses" or "smoke-filled room" over "smoke filled room". Any opinions?

Amnell 12-24-2007 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuronekoaus (Post 335366)
And Amnell: I like you very, very much xD

^_^ :rheart:

kuronekoaus 12-24-2007 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 335380)
Grammar nerd question:

I often hyphenate adjectives before a noun if they are two words, but I know some people don't like that. For example: I like "rose-colored glasses" over "rose colored glasses" or "smoke-filled room" over "smoke filled room". Any opinions?

I'd say your way is correct. Otherwise they'd be two separate words.

Some people don't like it 'cause they're stupid lol /jk.

Another question: does any [other] grammar nazi hate netspeak? I use it quite a bit, mainly because it'd look weird to have 'HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA' all over my posts...

MMM 12-24-2007 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuronekoaus (Post 335417)
I'd say your way is correct. Otherwise they'd be two separate words.

Some people don't like it 'cause they're stupid lol /jk.

Another question: does any [other] grammar nazi hate netspeak? I use it quite a bit, mainly because it'd look weird to have 'HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA' all over my posts...

Thanks!

Personally I prefer "HA HA HA HA HA" over "lol". I don't "hate" netspeak, as it serves a purpose, and it is sort of its own language, but I don't like to see it sneak into places it doesn't belong... (ahem)... like a forum post like this. In chats and text messages I understand, but it isn't necessary on a forum.

Amnell 12-24-2007 06:10 AM

For using hyphens between adjectives and nouns... I do both. It kinda depends on what feel I'm going for (on top of being a grammar nerd, I'm also an amateur prose writer) and what it is I'm talking about. I'll usually hyphenate such phrases to speed up the read, like in an action scene, then don't hyphenate to slow things down (by forcing the reader to treat them as two words) in anything that should move slow--bullet-time and emotional reactions, for example.

Netspeak... I don't really have a problem with it, within the bounds of English grammar. Ex: I have no problem with "lol"; I actually treat it as an interjection (just like if you laughed in real life before saying something). I DO take issue with "u/ur", though, 'cause that's just lazy.

On that note, 1337-sp34k has its place, too. :cool:

kuronekoaus 12-24-2007 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnell (Post 335442)
On that note, 1337-sp34k has its place, too. :cool:

Its place in the bin?

Amnell 12-24-2007 08:53 AM

Lol, mostly. Though, I do use it from time to time in during OOC in RP threads and on Counter-Strike and AIM.

lawlz, u R t3h nu8!!!11!onenoe pwn7 4-3v4h

^_^;;;

MMM 12-24-2007 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnell (Post 335480)
Lol, mostly. Though, I do use it from time to time in during OOC in RP threads and on Counter-Strike and AIM.

^_^;;;

I have almost no idea what that last sentence said

"Laughing. You are the ??? ?? ?????? owned ?-???"

Am I even close?

Katchan6 12-24-2007 09:15 AM

lol, u r the noob!!! ??? owns onenoe owns forever

is how i read it :D

MMM 12-24-2007 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katchan6 (Post 335487)
lol, u r the noob!!! ??? owns onenoe owns forever

is how i read it :D

Can I get a translation of your translation?

Amnell 12-24-2007 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 335483)
I have almost no idea what that last sentence said

"Laughing. You are the ??? ?? ?????? owned ?-???"

Am I even close?

Gloss:

lol, you are the noob!!! pwnt for ever

Lol, you're such a noob!!! Seriously owned!

kuronekoaus 12-25-2007 02:07 AM

Speaking of 'Crazy English'...

SamuraiAlchemistNinja 12-26-2007 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnell (Post 335515)
Gloss:

If English is heading this way; I mean, that that up there will be normal for written language, I'll...there really isn't a sufficient what-if for what I'd do.

kuronekoaus 12-26-2007 01:35 AM

I think many people fear netspeak and the like will eventually take over, but really- do you think anybody vaguely intelligent would stand for it?

clairebear 12-26-2007 01:39 AM

Lol, people can use netspeak if they want..as long as its understandable o_o
Things like "u" and "ur" are okay and I can put up with that, but its annoying when they start majorly abusing the English language ;P

Amnell 12-26-2007 03:55 AM

bt kan u reed tihs knd f stuf al da tim? duznt it gt anoyin??? f ppl rely rote lik dis al da tim, it wud suk. w/e

83 w0r53 1|= i7 w3r3 7|-|i5 411 7h3 tym3, 7|-|0u9h.

Like I said earlier, there's nothing really wrong with things like "lol" or "lmao" or "ttyl" or "brb" or w/e (pun, ar-ar). Even in forum posts, a lot of the acronyms we use are okay, I think. However, examples like the first line :eek: :mad: ...

And the second one... Yeah, let's not even go there. I should be ashamed that I can even do it :pinkcry: .

kuronekoaus 12-26-2007 04:43 AM

oR pEoPlEzz WhOo TaLk LyK tIs- does anybody really think that's cool???

&& ii tink writn likk tis isn't cute. No. It isn't. [You know what I'm talking about]

Katchan6 12-26-2007 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 335509)
Can I get a translation of your translation?

whoops wrote it wrong.. anyway, i think its

haha, you are a noob. onenoe (<--what the hell) owns forever

haha, you are a noob. onenoe is cool

:o

kuronekoaus 12-26-2007 10:10 AM

The 'oneone' is generally used to emphasize that the typist is a noob...

For example, "OMGWTFBBQ!!!1!1!!!one!!1111!!!!!shiftone!!!1!!"

Of course that's an extreme example.

xYinniex 12-26-2007 01:49 PM

Oh my brain hurts from even looking at those indecipherable text abbreviated messages.

"/

Thunda 12-26-2007 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnell (Post 336608)
83 w0r53 1|= i7 w3r3 7|-|i5 411 7h3 tym3, 7|-|0u9h.

It says: What does it say??
83 worse 1|= it were this all the time, though.

Suki 12-26-2007 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunda (Post 336794)
It says: What does it say??
83 worse 1|= it were this all the time, though.

Be worse if it were this all the time, though.

Zer0 12-26-2007 03:34 PM

Crazy english hm.... pickled yams how do you pickle a yam

Amnell 12-26-2007 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuronekoaus (Post 336700)
The 'oneone' is generally used to emphasize that the typist is a noob...

For example, "OMGWTFBBQ!!!1!1!!!one!!1111!!!!!shiftone!!!1!!"

Of course that's an extreme example.

Actually, you're a noob if it looks like this:

!!!!!!11

If you just totally pwnd someone (or are a complete ass), then it looks like this:

!!!!11!!11oneoneenonoe1!1one

or some variation thereof.

Much like in Japanese, 1337-speak has a system in place to show the relative status of typist to reader.

....... Yeah right XD

Thunda 12-26-2007 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suki (Post 336799)
Be worse if it were this all the time, though.

Puzzle completed!

Thanks Suki!

kuronekoaus 12-27-2007 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnell (Post 336849)
Actually, you're a noob if it looks like this:

!!!!!!11

If you just totally pwnd someone (or are a complete ass), then it looks like this:

!!!!11!!11oneoneenonoe1!1one

or some variation thereof.

Much like in Japanese, 1337-speak has a system in place to show the relative status of typist to reader.

....... Yeah right XD

Pwnd. :P

Your leet skills are quite good... also a bit disturbing...

Amnell 12-27-2007 06:39 AM

Lol, I know~!!!! T_T

That what happens when you spend the middle years of teenage-hood playing Counter-Strike and various other HL mods.

Hisuwashi 03-09-2009 04:26 PM

French fries were apparently invented in the French-speaking region of Belgium, which is close enough...

Payne222 03-09-2009 08:45 PM

You guys, English is the easiest language ever!!
XDD

nobora 12-27-2009 12:34 AM

LOL thats hilarious!!

OzukakiBurasuki 12-27-2009 04:25 AM

>>

This thread is lulz.

>>

Slykaz1 12-27-2009 04:37 AM

lmao...

I wish I had this for my english teacher...she would have keeled over from laughter. :p

Suki 01-03-2011 08:56 PM

I just watched this funny video on youtube and thought it'd be fitting for this thread.

George Carlin. Always worth your time. Enough said. Enjoy. :D

GinaS 01-08-2011 09:41 AM

Interesting thread. :)

I'm surprised to hear people say that English is easy to learn. I would think it would be very difficult, at least to read and write, because of all the differing pronunciations the same letter combinations can produce, or even just individual letters.

I think this is because English has so many different root languages represented in its words, maybe more than any other language, for all I know. Does any other language have a dictionary the size of the Oxford English Unabridged? That thing weighs in at something like 180 pounds. :eek:

There's an old joke about "ghoti" being pronounced as "fish," if you take your cues from the "gh" in "rough," the 'o' in "women," and the "ti" in "nation."

But I think the worst offender is "ough." If you don't know, you can't guess. It can be pronounced as in

through, rhymes with blue,
though, rhymes with glow,
thought, rhymes with hot,
cough, rhymes with scoff,
hiccough, rhymes with cup,
bough, rhymes with how,
rough, rhymes with cuff,
and Yough, rhymes with rock, names of a trail, lake, school district, etc., in Pennsylvania on the Youghiogheny (Yawk-uh-gay-nee) River (from Algonquian).

If that were the only letter combo that was problematic, it'd be one thing, but it's beyond me how people who don't grow up with it ever learn it. My hat's off to y'all. :ywave:

nobora 01-08-2011 10:28 PM

lol i find this to be funny and yet true. My mom has these problems when writing in english or speaking it and I do too sometimes but its true English is a hard language to learn when your not young.

NanteNa 01-08-2011 11:40 PM

Ahh I love wordplay.. I think wordplay isn't just for the English language.. All languages have their tiny contradictions to them.

Suki 01-09-2011 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GinaS (Post 845535)
I'm surprised to hear people say that English is easy to learn. I would think it would be very difficult, at least to read and write, because of all the differing pronunciations the same letter combinations can produce, or even just individual letters.

It's easier than most languages. English is essentially a very logical language, in terms of grammar and sentence structure. Like faaar easier than any other language I know of.

Pronunciation is the hardest part about it, but you learn it over time. Plus, everyone's used to hearing English in both music and movies/tv, so pronunciation catches on quickly cause you've heard every word before and eventually you learn how to sound it out the right way.

However, you get than in almost every language. At least with vowels.

Quote:

There's an old joke about "ghoti" being pronounced as "fish," if you take your cues from the "gh" in "rough," the 'o' in "women," and the "ti" in "nation."

But I think the worst offender is "ough." If you don't know, you can't guess. It can be pronounced as in

through, rhymes with blue,
though, rhymes with glow,
thought, rhymes with hot,
cough, rhymes with scoff,
hiccough, rhymes with cup,
bough, rhymes with how,
rough, rhymes with cuff,
and Yough, rhymes with rock, names of a trail, lake, school district, etc., in Pennsylvania on the Youghiogheny (Yawk-uh-gay-nee) River (from Algonquian).

Hahaha awsome!

Yeah, it doesn't make sense whatsoever that one word written in one specific way can be pronounced in two distinct ways, as it's the case with either/neither.

termogard 01-09-2011 03:04 AM

learning

Quote:

Interesting thread. :)

Heh, heh:)
Try to learn, say, Chinese and you will quickly change your opinion:D

Rinai 01-20-2011 05:47 AM

Hm, hm. This actually reminded me of this paradoxical poem I found a long time ago. I think English is a fun language to communicate in. As far as learning it, I know it's hell for a lot and comes natural for others. There's one guy in my class who learned to get by fluently in three years and there's.... a lot who still have trouble reading out the word 'degeneration'. For me. I just really like how... English can really project a lot of personalities around. {I haven't really studied any other language hardcore as English.}

Ryzorian 02-04-2011 05:46 AM

English utilizes many words from everywhere else. It's more of a mutt lanquage.