JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   English & Other Language Help (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/english-other-language-help/)
-   -   Crazy English.:. (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/english-other-language-help/10146-crazy-english.html)

clairebear 12-01-2007 08:32 PM

people are actually taking this seriously? O_O

noodle 12-01-2007 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XjapanFOREVER (Post 315081)
You can start with one, but it's highly frowned upon..

lol, it's only frowned upon in primary school (junior school). If you read books, newspapers, grammar books, they always use it... The so-called "rule" is ignored these days....

SakuraSan 12-01-2007 09:31 PM

English is my first language so i dont know, but is it hard to learn?
:P

AkuenKigahen 12-01-2007 09:35 PM

lmao I put my sister to shame oh well.

Suki 12-02-2007 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noodle (Post 315057)
lol, i don't know why YOU always mistype them :rolleyes: lol

I don't mistype them! My spelling is impeccable :cool:

Quote:

Originally Posted by XjapanFOREVER
lol... I seriously didn't catch that.... lol..
It seriously wasn't meant to be mean, it was sort of a paradox. She claimed to have the highest grade in English, yet her writing wasn't exactly showing it

Hahahaha it's cool. In fact I can't cope with people who, even though they know how to spell correctly, use as many abreviations as possible to... type faster? Only because it is a forum and you're not being examinated it doesn't mean you can ignore the spelling rules.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SakuraSan
English is my first language so i dont know, but is it hard to learn?
:P

No, it's not.

filiadragongurl 12-02-2007 03:09 PM

"Were" is *mistyped* a lot because it's easy to miss the 'h' when you're typing fast and not realize it in time to fix it. Then of course some people are lazy so if they mistype it, even though they know it's wrong, they don't bother to fix it 'cause it will probably still get the point across.

I, personally, am usually not lazy about typing, but if I'm typing one-handed 'cause I'm eating or talking on the phone I *do* tend to use some short cuts. In these cases I'm already typing twice as slow, so I want to get the message out at least a little closer to my usual typing speed.

chibibecci 12-15-2007 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheUnknown (Post 314341)
but to native ~ this would be reguarded as common stuff, day to day stuff.. it's just that we are not used to it..

You say that, but there's loads of people here who don't speak English properly.
Things like saying "am" instead of "is".
No one speaks it perfectly

kuronekoaus 12-16-2007 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chibibecci (Post 326806)

I beg to differ.
I think using proper grammar is important... being ignorant to the rules of the language to me shows stupidity.
I can't say I'm perfect, but I try my hardest and generally am good at it. I even pick up mistakes in the newspaper, journalists are supposed to be outstanding at English, too...

chibibecci 12-16-2007 09:00 PM

Sorry, I think saying "no-one" wasn't right then. Lots of people who speak English don't get everything right. As you said, people in newspapers get it wrong sometimes.

Amnell 12-21-2007 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chibibecci (Post 326806)
You say that, but there's loads of people here who don't speak English properly.
Things like saying "am" instead of "is".

Or using "There's" with a plural subject like "loads." It's "there're." >_< As a native, this bugs the hell out of me when people say it and even more when people write it. I usually bite my tongue to avoid becoming a nuisance, but, meh, it was on topic ^_^ . :ywave: