JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
kuronekoaus (Offline)
Resident Rockstar

12-01-2007, 11:12 AM

All these examples of weird English usage are generally more slang or informal. As to making the language more difficult to learn, I'd say only if you wanted to pick up on absolutely everything, which with a foreign language or advanced lanuage usage you might not exactly need.

But then again, some understanding of such examples can come down to tone of voice, facial expression and gestures, as with any other strange phrases in any language.

Edit: I was looking at the expressions such as 'wise guy'. The other things are so uncommon (such as plural of BOOTH) that they're... slightly reduntant? Lol

Too cool for a yellow emoticon

(#12 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

Send a message via MSN to Suki
12-01-2007, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpsons1989 View Post
sometimes I either mispronounce words, or pronounce them differently, sort of in another dialect????
I forgot to quote that before and you are right. Pronunciation can become the bane of your existence during the first phase of the learning process xD

Who can explain why the I in 'since' sounds different from the one in 'bi', which is the same sound you find in 'bye' but there's no I there xD In English there're many letter combinations that have the same sound: week ~ weak, whine ~wine, knight ~night, wear ~where ~were, wait ~ weight, write ~ right, and so on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle
I wouldn't say its by far the easiest language in out there! And i wouldn't call any language out there easy, it all depends on your mother tongue...
Yeah of course it does, but I'd say English is the most grammatically simple language, you don't have conjugations of nouns and adjectives or feminine/masculine distinctions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle
as for english being illogical??????? i'd probably say its the most logical and direct language out there. I think thats one of the reasons why its the international language, it gets to the point easily and quickly! The rare times that its illogical is "rare"
I was referring to what the text says; noses that run and feet that smell, how logical is that? lol

But I agree about it being a direct language. In English you can say in 5 words what in any other language would take a whole paragraph xDDD

everything is relative and contradictory ~
(#13 (permalink))
Old
filiadragongurl (Offline)
Japan Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to filiadragongurl
12-01-2007, 05:38 PM

"were" isn't pronounced the same as "where" and "wear" though...
(#14 (permalink))
Old
XjapanFOREVER (Offline)
In X we Trust

Send a message via MSN to XjapanFOREVER
12-01-2007, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkuenKigahen View Post
I'm passing English I have the highest percentage in my class! And the second highest is a boy from Korean hes only been here for 3 years.
Really, cause your grammar sucks?

1) There should be a comma after "English"
2) "And the second highest is a boy from Korean", Since you didn't specify that you were talking about the person with the highest percentage, it could be taken as if the second highest percentage IS a boy from Korea, not that the second hightest percentage is held by a boy from Korea. Also, "Korean" isn't a country, Korea is. You call the people from Korea, Korean.
3) There should be either a comma OR semi-colon after what is supposed to be Korea.
4) "hes" is incorrect, it's a contraction for "he is" therefore there should be an apostraphe after the "e" and before the "s"
5) Weren't you ever taught not to start a sentence with a conjunction! And= conjunction

That sentence should've been written, "I'm passing English, I have the highest percentage in my class! The second highest percentage is held by a boy from Korea; hes only been here for 3 years."

just thought I'd point that out

Microsoft is making computer's just like air conditioners; they work properly until you open WINDOWS.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

12-01-2007, 07:25 PM

lol @ XjapanFOREVER... What you pointed out is good, but your fifth point isn't true... you can start a sentence with And!!
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

12-01-2007, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XjapanFOREVER View Post
That sentence should've been written, "I'm passing English, I have the highest percentage in my class! The second highest percentage is held by a boy from Korea; hes only been here for 3 years."
Ohhh you missed point number 4 yourself

Anyways, thank you for... being so nice towards other users =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by filiadragongurl
"were" isn't pronounced the same as "where" and "wear" though...
It isn't?

(#17 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

12-01-2007, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suki View Post
It isn't?
Nope, that other person is right, it's not the same!!! For example, say "Where were you yesterday?"... if you say them the same, it just sounds strange and it isn't correct!
(#18 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

12-01-2007, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle View Post
Nope, that other person is right, it's not the same!!! For example, say "Where were you yesterday?"... if you say them the same, it just sounds strange and it isn't correct!
*speaks out loud* "Where were you yesterday...?" xDDDDDDDD

Right, it doesn't quite sound the same but that's cause one follows the other and we unintentionally make them sound different lol ok maybe not... but then how come that people mistype them all the time?

(#19 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

12-01-2007, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suki View Post
*speaks out loud* "Where were you yesterday...?" xDDDDDDDD

Right, it doesn't quite sound the same but that's cause one follows the other and we unintentionally make them sound different lol ok maybe not... but then how come that people mistype them all the time?
lol, i don't know why YOU always mistype them lol
(#20 (permalink))
Old
XjapanFOREVER (Offline)
In X we Trust

Send a message via MSN to XjapanFOREVER
12-01-2007, 08:21 PM

You can start with one, but it's highly frowned upon..
lol... I seriously didn't catch that.... lol..
It seriously wasn't meant to be mean, it was sort of a paradox. She claimed to have the highest grade in English, yet her writing wasn't exactly showing it

My first line was originally "....because it suX." It was a play on X JAPAN, but I figured someone else would be like "you spelled "sucks" wrong, so I changed it.

Microsoft is making computer's just like air conditioners; they work properly until you open WINDOWS.