JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#81 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

Send a message via MSN to Suki
02-08-2011, 11:10 PM

Why does the "loved" in beloved not sound like the word loved?

everything is relative and contradictory ~
(#82 (permalink))
Old
LilyJay (Offline)
New to JF

02-08-2011, 11:38 PM

Lmao! whoever said this is a genius. <3
(#83 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

02-09-2011, 05:30 AM

Wich prooves Primary english speaking nation, such as America and England, is home to lunitics. Only insane people could come up with such a convaluted lanquage.
(#84 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

Send a message via MSN to Suki
02-09-2011, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastFortnight View Post
Interesting thread, even though it's old. I learnt English using only dictionaries because I was always playing games and they're all in English around here, so I think it's relatively easy to learn, especially the grammar. My spelling is not so good though... I think the pronounce is the difficult part, English pronounce is irregular compared to other languages, in Portuguese if you learn the rules you can easily pronounce every word because the pronounce is always close to the way the word is written.

In English, the pronounce varies a lot, here some examples:

In the words night, light, fight, sight, the gh is never pronounced but in the end of words like tough and enough the gh is pronounced as an f but you don't pronounce the gh in the end of words like though.

The f of of is pronounced as v. Also, the ph is pronounced as v sometimes as well. Like in the dated pronounce of the word nephew.

The word colonel is written with an l but rhotic English speakers pronounce the word with an r like [kəː(r)nəl] which is crazy.

In English the definite article the has three pronounces like [ðɪ] before vowel sound and [ðə] before consonant sound and the stressed or emphatic [ðiː] and I don't know why.

English has stressed and unstressed pronounces for words like can, them, but, some, from, at, as...

The -ed suffix of the past and past participle of verbs have different pronounces it might be pronounced like a d after vowel or certain consonants, like an id after d and t and like a t after consonants like s of stressed and k of fucked. However, adjectives with the sufix -ed don't follow this rule and the pronounce most of time is id, thus loved [lʌvd] but beloved [bɪlʌvɨd]
Hahaha good job! If this site had a way of ranking posts I'd give this one an A++

everything is relative and contradictory ~
(#85 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

02-10-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Interesting thread, even though it's old. I learnt English using only dictionaries because I was always playing games and they're all in English around here, so I think it's relatively easy to learn, especially the grammar. My spelling is not so good though... I think the pronounce is the difficult part, English pronounce is irregular compared to other languages, in Portuguese if you learn the rules you can easily pronounce every word because the pronounce is always close to the way the word is written.

In English, the pronounce varies a lot, here some examples:

In the words night, light, fight, sight, the gh is never pronounced but in the end of words like tough and enough the gh is pronounced as an f but you don't pronounce the gh in the end of words like though.

The f of of is pronounced as v. Also, the ph is pronounced as v sometimes as well. Like in the dated pronounce of the word nephew.

The word colonel is written with an l but rhotic English speakers pronounce the word with an r like [kəː(r)nəl] which is crazy.

In English the definite article the has three pronounces like [ðɪ] before vowel sound and [ðə] before consonant sound and the stressed or emphatic [ðiː] and I don't know why.

English has stressed and unstressed pronounces for words like can, them, but, some, from, at, as...

The -ed suffix of the past and past participle of verbs have different pronounces it might be pronounced like a d after vowel or certain consonants, like an id after d and t and like a t after consonants like s of stressed and k of fucked. However, adjectives with the sufix -ed don't follow this rule and the pronounce most of time is id, thus loved [lʌvd] but beloved [bɪlʌvɨd]

I think you mean Pronunciation rather than Pronounce. You pronounce something and the Pronunciation IS:

English language: Information from Answers.com

Origins of the English language

Last edited by dogsbody70 : 02-10-2011 at 03:17 PM.
(#86 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

02-10-2011, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Yeah, you're right granny
um don't like being called Granny thanks.
(#87 (permalink))
Old
protheus (Offline)
Arthur et Les Minimoys

Send a message via Yahoo to protheus
02-15-2011, 09:15 AM

"Close"- besides a slight pronunciation change (the "s" as a simple "s", or as a "sz"/"z") its the same written word, but it has 2 very different meanings depending on how you use it like, a noun or a verb.

Reverse psychology, "dear Watson", reverse psychology.
"Manganese? Is that manga language?" - lol?
(#88 (permalink))
Old
ryuhebi13 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-21-2011, 10:23 PM

Lolz, English can definitely be illogical. Good post.

(#89 (permalink))
Old
Susanne (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via Yahoo to Susanne
03-01-2011, 07:20 PM

To the one who complains about these characteristics of the English language: You should've become a mathematician, if you're not one already.

You can also go ahead and learn Esperanto.

我们有许多的中国的朋友
(#90 (permalink))
Old
PoissonApple (Offline)
gherkin

03-01-2011, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanne View Post
To the one who complains about these characteristics of the English language: You should've become a mathematician, if you're not one already.

You can also go ahead and learn Esperanto.

Esperanto ♥

'How important it is in life not necessarily to be strong... but to feel strong' [Christopher McCandless]