LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Retrogamer77 (Offline)
Destati

Send a message via AIM to Retrogamer77
01-05-2008, 04:38 AM

No problem!

You can PM me with your questions if you want.

~Genauso wie du~
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Amnell (Offline)
W.o.W. I'm 66

Send a message via AIM to Amnell Send a message via Skype™ to Amnell
01-06-2008, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiaiaiai
say,speak→discuss,imply,argue,refer to,mouth,remark and so on...
Each of which has a different connotation and denotation. Example: discuss means to have a real discussion on a topic between two or more people where everyone speaks; imply is when you make a suggestion with your words without actually speaking out loud what it is you are suggesting.

There are a lot of things like that in English--I'm sure Japanese is no different. Feel free to ask! I never took any AP classes in English like retrogamer did, but I did have better written English than my English teachers at the end of high school--even if he did speak better English >_< . (Actually, learning a foreign language really helps you to understand your own, I found out--I was taking Spanish and English classes at the same time, and I think that's why my English skills got to be how they are)

"The trouble with trying to make something idiot proof is that idiots are so smart." ~A corollary to Murphy's Law

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you actually make them think, they'll hate you. ~Don Marquis

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle
But, that's always f-ed up individuals that kill in secluded areas up high in the mountains. Thats neither the army nor the governments agenda! I hope those people rott in hell, but an army or government shouldn't be judged by psycho individuals.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
aiaiaiai (Offline)
JF Regular

I agree with your opinion about learning foreign language. - 01-06-2008, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnell View Post
Each of which has a different connotation and denotation. Example: discuss means to have a real discussion on a topic between two or more people where everyone speaks; imply is when you make a suggestion with your words without actually speaking out loud what it is you are suggesting.

There are a lot of things like that in English--I'm sure Japanese is no different. Feel free to ask! I never took any AP classes in English like retrogamer did, but I did have better written English than my English teachers at the end of high school--even if he did speak better English >_< . (Actually, learning a foreign language really helps you to understand your own, I found out--I was taking Spanish and English classes at the same time, and I think that's why my English skills got to be how they are)
Probably,I know different like that between discuss and imply and don't know different among declare,state,announce etc.

by the way,I also think learning foreign language is to know myself or own culture.I study a little French now by myself and have a question of different between boths.

French can add a question mark "?" to a declarative sentence,which is grammatical proper sentence.

In English,I am guessing the form of declarative sentence is used as something like interrogative is few?

For example,
you may tell me,or might as well tell me..
I don't hit upon another word....
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Amnell (Offline)
W.o.W. I'm 66

01-06-2008, 11:29 AM

Hmm... I know very little about French--except that their orthography (or use of the roman alphabet) is totally wierd.

"I am guessing the form of declarative sentence is used as something like interrogative is few?"

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean T_T .

"you may tell me,or might as well tell me.."

The difference between those two is mostly one of attitude. Actually, I should say that it's primarily a situational difference, i.e. one is used in a different situation than the other.

"You may tell me"

Can be more of a confiding situation--"It's okay, you can tell me!"
If someone asks if they can tell you something, you would respond with this.

"You might as well tell me"

More kind of a "you can't make things worse by telling me, so you're just as well to tell me".
If you've caught a child in a lie and you're trying to make him/her confess to it, you might say this.
If you're trying to draw out information that softer language would fail to obtain (see the first line)
It can be kind of sarcastic--I often say this to people with whom I'm having a confrontation. "Well, you might as well tell me so we can get this over with already!"

Looking at your question again, I guess I'll 'take a stab at it'.

We don't typically mix declaratives with interogatives. Typically. However, you can something like:

"It's a cool cat, no?" In this case, you're stating something, but you're also asking a question. Think of it like this:

"Neko no sugoi desu-ne?" (hope I got the grammar right) Same kind of thing--the speaker is expecting agreement from the listener. In that sense, a declaritive can also be a "pseudo-" interogative.

And the difference between "to declare" and "to state" (or "a declaration" and "a statement") is this:

A declaration is kind of like... You're at a party, and someone steps up onto a chair and gets everyone's attention, then he says really loud that he wants to marry a girl who is in the room listening. This can also be called an announcement, but the nature of the delivery, i.e. how it was said to everyone makes it a declaration.
A political declaration would be the government formally and publically announcing that something has been done or is going to be done and it has already been decided upon.

A statement would be like... You're at that same party. After the guy declares his will to marry, your friend standing next to you leans over and comments, "That'll be a happy marriage." He's being sarcastic, but he's giving his opinion. His "position", so to speak. He's made a statement to you of what he thinks.
A political statement would be, say, after a trial of a political prisoner, the judge comes out and announces what his reasoning is behind his decision. He is stating his position and expressing his reasoning. This is similar to a declaration, and in fact you could use that word here, too, and still be grammatically and semantically correct. However, the conotation of the word "declaration" doesn't fit the situation, and so we use "statement".

Gets back to that thing about nuance ^_^ .

EDIT: "Announce" is probably the simplest of the three. It simply means "to make known to multiple people." But, again, this can be used in any number of ways. I often use it in a sarcastic manner, perhaps to downplay the significance of something for the purpose of making something seem ironic. It's also a handy word for when you're trying to write a paper that is meant to be unbiased and unemotional--such as a research paper on the potential impacts on an ecosystem through urbanisation.

"The trouble with trying to make something idiot proof is that idiots are so smart." ~A corollary to Murphy's Law

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you actually make them think, they'll hate you. ~Don Marquis

Quote:
But, that's always f-ed up individuals that kill in secluded areas up high in the mountains. Thats neither the army nor the governments agenda! I hope those people rott in hell, but an army or government shouldn't be judged by psycho individuals.

Last edited by Amnell : 01-06-2008 at 11:35 AM.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
aiaiaiai (Offline)
JF Regular

Ah.. - 01-07-2008, 11:26 AM

My English is terribly bad...
I appriciate it that you tried to teach me.
It was difficult for me to read and understand it..^^;.

I wish I compose my web site about Japanese somethings someday:high culture,sub culture,foods,traffic.etc.
However,The day will be far from now..
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Amnell (Offline)
W.o.W. I'm 66

01-09-2008, 01:02 AM

Well, when the day does come, I will be happy to help you!

I'm happy to help with any problems/answer any questions that you might have!

Quote:
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Emeko (Offline)
クラウン

Send a message via MSN to Emeko
01-23-2008, 07:52 PM

Did u get it ?

or do you want to do it 4 u?
(#18 (permalink))
Old
aiaiaiai (Offline)
JF Regular