JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Ebuchan (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via Yahoo to Ebuchan
I can help you with your English and Spanish and I know basic French - 01-31-2008, 03:58 AM

Yeah, like the title says, I speak English, Spanish and I know basic French (like really basic French) I can help with anything. I know Spanish inside and out because I am Central American. I know a lot of grammar and sentence stucture as well as any other thing you might need. It's pretty similar with English. you can write to me if you need help. I can also proof read really well!

^.^ v
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

Send a message via MSN to Suki
01-31-2008, 04:02 PM

How is Spanish similar to English?

everything is relative and contradictory ~
(#3 (permalink))
Old
smileXfreak7 (Offline)
This shit is old

Location: USED to live next to xXvampzrockXx's compooper. Shes not a vamp anymore
Send a message via Yahoo to smileXfreak7
01-31-2008, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suki View Post
How is Spanish similar to English?
it is very similar some of the english words come or sound like some spanish words

member of the jello club!!
~+VaMpIrE cLaN Vice prez+~
L-O-V-E IS ANOTHER FOUR LETTER WORD FOR P-A-I-N
ITS AFFECTS MAKE YOU WISH YOU WERE D-E-A-D
MAKES YOU ANYTHING BUT S-A-N-E
LEAVES A CLOUD IN YOUR SOUL THAT BRINGS NOTHING BUT R-A-I-N
MOVIES FILL THE WORD WITH F-A-M-E
THOSE WHO BREAK IT ARE NEVER THE S-A-M-E
WE WERE JUST FINE UNTIL THAT FEELING C-A-M-E
JUST ANOTHER FOUR LETTERED WORD FOR P-A-I-N
L-O-V-E

http://pandauchiha.deviantart.com/ my drawings
(#4 (permalink))
Old
niklo90 (Offline)
New to JF

01-31-2008, 09:15 PM

Example to how its similar
delicious -- english
delicioso -- Spanish

it's actually really simple . I know it fluently . I also know french which shares similatries between spanish and english .
(#5 (permalink))
Old
kithkanan (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to kithkanan
02-04-2008, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebuchan View Post
Yeah, like the title says, I speak English, Spanish and I know basic French (like really basic French) I can help with anything. I know Spanish inside and out because I am Central American. I know a lot of grammar and sentence stucture as well as any other thing you might need. It's pretty similar with English. you can write to me if you need help. I can also proof read really well!
Well yes, many Spanish words are similar to English, but that doesn't make them similar. They are a totally different languages. For instance, English does perform some declinations for the four cases (nominative, genitive, dative and accusative) whereas in Spanish all cases are handled through prepositions and articles. The English grammar is, in fact, a simplified version of the German.

Examples:

English: _John's_ car is big
Spanish: El auto de Juan es grande
Use of genitive: the appostrophe after "John" is the way English manages the genitive, whereas in Spanish is managed through the "de" preposition (lit: The car of John is big).

English: I'm talking to _her_
Spanish: Le hablo a ella
Use of accusative: "her" is the accusative for "she", whereas in spanish is the same pronoun ("ella").

Furthermore, English lacks of reflexive verbs and you'll have to use some auxiliary words such as "myself", "yourself", etc, to indicate that the verb is reflected over the pronoun:
English: I'm dressing myself
Spanish: _me_ estoy vistiendo
Spanish: sentarse
English: to sit oneself.

Another example would be that the spanish distinguish between a property inherent to the substantive and a transitive one. For the first, you use the verb "ser" and for the last, the verb "estar". In English both cases uses the verb "to be".

And what about the auxiliary verbs? English rely heavily on their use: do, does, have, will, shall, could, would, etc, whereas in Spanish there are very few cases (i.e. in the perfect past tense, the verb "haber"):
English: I _will_ do my homework
Spanish: Yo haré mi tarea
In this case, the verb "do" does not suffer a grammatical change (instead it uses the auxiliar verb "will"), but in the spanish translation, the verb "hacer" actually changed and no auxiliar verb is used.

Adjectives are another good example. English qualifies a substantive by placing the adjective before it, but the Spanish does so in two ways: by using the preposition "de" ("of") followed by the adjective (when describing a substantive's property or accident), or simply by placing it before or after the substantive (when describing a somewhat subjective attribute):
English: the crystal glass
Spanish: el vaso de cristal
English: the long road
Spanish: el largo camino / el camino largo

And don't get me started on the order that a (sintactically correct) sentence must have. Suffice to say that in English the order of the sentence's part (pronoun, subject, verb, complements, etc) DOES matter and you can change the entire meaning of the sentence by misplacing such parts, whereas in spanish the order (most of the times) does not matter.
English: I walk next to the river.
Spanish: Camino junto al río / Junto al río yo camino / yo, junto al río, camino / Junto al río camino yo
English: "The coffee cup" means a cup made of coffee whereas "The cup of coffee" means a cup that contains coffee in it.
Spanish: "La taza de café" could have both meanings and there's no way to distinguish between both other than the context (and the common sense).

Those were some examples on the differences between both languages. Sure, they share some sounds and words, if only because all the western languages have common latin and greek roots. But that's all about the similarities. Grammars are really different.

Regards,
KK.

Regards,
KK.

===
Everybody's trying to make us another century of fakers.

Last edited by kithkanan : 02-04-2008 at 07:55 AM. Reason: Typos
(#6 (permalink))
Old
kithkanan (Offline)
New to JF

02-04-2008, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebuchan View Post
I am Central American.
Aside of the language discussion, on which country do you live? I'm near your "neighbourhood"

Regards,
KK.

===
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Ebuchan (Offline)
New to JF

02-06-2008, 11:26 PM

I'm from Guatemala

^.^ v
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Ebuchan (Offline)
New to JF

02-06-2008, 11:29 PM

o....k what I meant is that 'I know a lot of grammar and sentence stucture as well as any other thing you might need' in English, not that English is similar to spanish even though it has its similarities.

^.^ v
(#9 (permalink))
Old
MexDude (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to MexDude
02-13-2008, 07:32 PM

kithkanan, just wondering and this might not be the place to post it, but ima just do it. I was wondering what school you go to and what specific major are you studing or if you graduated where from and what u major in?

vi que vives en la ciudad de mexico y que tenias como interes computer science y me preguntaba como esta la situacion y las escuelas en Mexico para tal carrera.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
kithkanan (Offline)
New to JF

02-13-2008, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexDude View Post
kithkanan, just wondering and this might not be the place to post it, but ima just do it. I was wondering what school you go to and what specific major are you studing or if you graduated where from and what u major in?

vi que vives en la ciudad de mexico y que tenias como interes computer science y me preguntaba como esta la situacion y las escuelas en Mexico para tal carrera.
Hello there. I'm supposedly studying mathematics in the UNAM. The level there is acceptable, but I'm taking it (my career) easy. I learned programming by myself when I was seventeen and since I entered the college (two years later) I got myself a job with C++ programming. And I've been working on it since then (now for five years).

At any rate, I never studied computer science at college, so I really couldn't give you an accurate recommendation. That said, I can tell you that the UNAM is just great, at least at science level. The Science Faculty has great activity and I'm pretty sure that it's the best in the country. There is this "Computer Science" career (BC if you prefer) and for what I could tell it seems to have an acceptable level.

However, in general, I'm kinda disappointed with this career in particular in all the Hispanic world (Latin America and Spain --specially Spain). Through all these years I've been an active member in several forums, trying to help other fellows (particularly at www.lawebdelprogramador.com). Most of the posts are from universities and I've got to say, the questions are most of the time stupid: considering that they SHOULD have already learned many concepts; sometimes I have to explain what their teachers should have.

So my feelings towards CS career in the Hispanic world are kinda mixed. IMHO you can get acceptable levels at UNAM, perhaps the IPN and (if you can afford it) a similar level in the ITESM or ITAM (I studied applied math in the latter and it really sucked, so I switched to the UNAM; but I've met some good programmers from there). But my experience as a professional is kinda disappointing (suffice to say that when I was 21, I was the main programmer in the enterprise where I was working at the time: just imagine that...).

My conclusion would be that yes, there are good places here to study, some very expensive and some free (I pay fifty cents a year in the UNAM :S). But if you study here, you'll have to complement it with self studies, if you want to succeed, because it seems that many topics are either not taught correctly or both the teacher and the student just don't care.

That's my two cents. As I said, I never studied CS in a college and I definitely cannot compare it to American or European colleges (except, perhaps, Spain). Anyway, hope this helps.

Regards,
KK.

===

Last edited by kithkanan : 02-13-2008 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Typos and --OMG-- some grammar errors