JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

Uppercase or Lowercase? - 12-02-2010, 05:02 PM

I know this is a random question, but it has been bugging this helpless and senile English-learner for a few hours now.

If I were to form a sentence that started with the poet's name "e. e. cummings", would I need to capitalize its first "e"?

Thanks in advance.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-02-2010, 05:03 PM

Post Deleted.

Last edited by RobinMask : 01-07-2018 at 11:35 AM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

12-02-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinMask View Post
Yes. You would always capitalise the 'E' and the 'C' in 'Cummings', because this is a name and all names need to have a capital letter.
Thanks for a quick reply.

My point, though, is that the poet's name is often written all in lowercase in many poetry books I've read.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

12-02-2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masaegu View Post
I know this is a random question, but it has been bugging this helpless and senile English-learner for a few hours now.

If I were to form a sentence that started with the poet's name "e. e. cummings", would I need to capitalize its first "e"?

Thanks in advance.
Generally when you write names, you should use a capital for each initial, plus the start of the surname; e.g., "J. R. R. Tolkien". In the case of E. E. Cummings, you can actually use lowercase if you like, as he was famous for his deliberate misuse of capitalization. It was his philosophy that all letters were equal and it shouldn't matter which you use, so he often signed his work in lowercase lettering as a kind of grammatical rebellion. *shrug* In academic work, you should probably capitalize, but otherwise you can use lowercase if you want to make a nod towards his style.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-02-2010, 05:16 PM

Post Deleted.

Last edited by RobinMask : 01-07-2018 at 11:35 AM.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

12-02-2010, 05:49 PM

Thank you both! It's great to hear from native speakers. I was going crazy at 3 am thinking about which should be given priority, grammar or a proper noun in someone else's language. Thanks to you guys, I think I can hit the futon now.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
12-02-2010, 06:24 PM

I hate to add to your confusion, masaegu, but the example you used in the question is a special case and the rules

ONLY in the instance of e.e.cummings would the intials and last name(surname) not be capitalized. e.e.cummings was a very unusual writer and insisted that his name not be capitalized, as Columbine explained.

Even in the most formal of writing, especially if it is a discussion of literature, it should be kept in lowercase. To do otherwise would might make the reader think you were unfamiliar with him.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

12-02-2010, 08:09 PM

Name and capitalization
Cummings' publishers and others have sometimes echoed the unconventional orthography in his poetry by writing his name in lowercase and without periods. Cummings himself used both the lowercase and capitalized versions. According to his widow, he did not (as reported in the preface of one book[25]) have his name legally changed to "e e cummings". On the contrary, he wrote to his French translator that he preferred the capitalized version ("may it not be tricksy").[26] One Cummings scholar believes that on the rare occasions that Cummings signed his name in all lowercase, he may have intended it as a gesture of humility, not as an indication that it was the preferred orthography for others to use.[27]