LinkBack Thread Tools
(#51 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

12-13-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamboP26 View Post
The thing that annoys me is that in Japanese, British & English are the same thing. Never mind. I'll refer to myself as Scottish. I'd do that anyway. lol
I've never even seen you write a simple Japanese sentence here. It would rather be your own lack of Japanese knowledge that should annoy you. It's your problem, not our language's. You simply don't have a big enough Japanese vocab, not even one big enough to discuss your own ethnic identity. Lame.

デタラメ言ってんじゃねーよ! お前の語彙力が不足してるだけだろがっ!
(#52 (permalink))
Old
JamboP26 (Offline)
日本オタク

Send a message via MSN to JamboP26
12-13-2010, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masaegu View Post
I've never even seen you write a simple Japanese sentence here. It would rather be your own lack of Japanese knowledge that should annoy you. It's your problem, not our language's. You simply don't have a big enough Japanese vocab, not even one big enough to discuss your own ethnic identity. Lame.

I'm not complaining about the language, it's beautiful. I'm just stating the fact, as being Scottish, I hate being called British. This would make it worse because it would be like being called English. But your right, my Japanese vocab isn't big enough, but maybe thats because I started learning recently

I'm a Cafe-kko, Nyappy in the World. But GazeRock is not dead. 「Sixth Gun」です

An Cafe, Vidoll, Versailles, Dir En Grey, Deathgaze, the GazettE, alice nine., UVERworld, Kiryu , YUI, AKB48, Buono!, Berryz Koubou, C-ute, S/mileage, Morning Musume, Zoro, Lolita23Q, Visual Kei, Oshare Kei, J-Rock, J-Pop, Idol groups FTW (≧∀≦)
(#53 (permalink))
Old
Decimus (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-13-2010, 08:49 PM

Quote:
I'm not complaining about the language, it's beautiful. I'm just stating the fact, as being Scottish, I hate being called British. This would make it worse because it would be like being called English. But your right, my Japanese vocab isn't big enough, but maybe thats because I started learning recently
I think Masaegu's point was that there are different words for "British", "English", "Welsh", "Scottish", and "Irish" in Japanese, and therefore complaining that you are annoyed because Japanese doesn't make a distinction between "British" and "English" is just a severe misconception arising from your limited vocabulary instead of any fault of the Japanese language. Or, as he put it succinctly:

Quote:
Originally Posted by masaegu View Post
Jambo, I think you might find this article to be useful.

Last edited by Decimus : 12-13-2010 at 09:04 PM.
(#54 (permalink))
Old
JamboP26 (Offline)
日本オタク

12-13-2010, 09:34 PM

Thanks for the help. Most of my vocab comes from a BBC phrasebook, & it has Britain & England as Igirisu. While this doesn't bother me, the problem comes if asked 'Are you British?', which I guess could be true, but I would prefer to say, 'No. I'm Scottish'. Would this confuse the person? I guess I made a fuss over an obstacle I'd try to avoid. I suppose I'd better get use to such complexity's if learning such an amazing language

An Cafe, Vidoll, Versailles, Dir En Grey, Deathgaze, the GazettE, alice nine., UVERworld, Kiryu , YUI, AKB48, Buono!, Berryz Koubou, C-ute, S/mileage, Morning Musume, Zoro, Lolita23Q, Visual Kei, Oshare Kei, J-Rock, J-Pop, Idol groups FTW (≧∀≦)
(#55 (permalink))
Old
NanteNa (Offline)
sixth gun.

Send a message via Skype™ to NanteNa
12-13-2010, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Why do you hate being called 'British'? That would be like 'Oh I'm Danish, but I HATE being called a European or a Scandinavian girl!'

[ <-- Jordan's heart! \(Ò_ó)/ ]
Follow me on TUMBLR
"Well if a chick has a problem with the way I conduct myself I'd draw the bitch
a map to the nearest exit and stamp "fuck off" on her forehead."
- Pot Roast
(#56 (permalink))
Old
Decimus (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-13-2010, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanteNa View Post
Why do you hate being called 'British'? That would be like 'Oh I'm Danish, but I HATE being called a European or a Scandinavian girl!'
Well... (nationalist) politics can be rather... confusing in the United Kingdom, partly due to a lack of a written constitution. Suffice to say, there's a deep-seated rivalry between the Scots and the English, possibly due to wars in the past. (And let's not get started on [association] football.) Scotland itself also has a separate Parliament, and there have been movements advocating for Scottish independence.

Last edited by Decimus : 12-13-2010 at 10:38 PM.
(#57 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

12-13-2010, 10:36 PM

Hmm well being over nationalistic is dangerous. I am English married to a wonderful scotsman.

sometime scotland feels rather remote from LONDON and its parliament.

When I lived up there there used to be complaints about being ruled from London. Being so far away and not on the same wavelength

Scotland does have some better conditions re students having free University-- one has to remember that comes from taking from all the tax payers.

They brought in a Bill to care for the elderly without charging. How on earth they will find the money to do that!! I wish I knew.

Sc ots often are very proud of their own country-- but an awful lot of them still migrate down here and overseas.

I think its dangerous to be too nationalistic. also very insular.

Y
(#58 (permalink))
Old
JamboP26 (Offline)
日本オタク

12-14-2010, 11:14 AM

Decimus is right. There is a lot of contributing factors, but what it all boils down to is the English. I have no problem with the English, a lot of them are very nice people, but when people say British, they usually mean English. I am hugely proud to be Scottish, and love the country very much (its the political side, both here and in London, that annoys me. lol). When England won the 1966 World Cup, they still went on about it in 2010 before South Africa. It was 44 years ago, get over it. Also, if tennis player Andy Murray is doing well, the news people say he's British, and if he does poor, he then becomes Scottish. They try to use Britain to help make England look better, even though he's Scottish. It happens with a lot of Sports people. While it's technically true that I am British, I would prefer to be known as Scottish

/Light-hearted rant over. lol

(#59 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

Send a message via MSN to Suki
12-14-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Decimus is right. There is a lot of contributing factors, but what it all boils down to is the English. I have no problem with the English, a lot of them are very nice people, but when people say British, they usually mean English. I am hugely proud to be Scottish, and love the country very much (its the political side, both here and in London, that annoys me. lol). When England won the 1966 World Cup, they still went on about it in 2010 before South Africa. It was 44 years ago, get over it. Also, if tennis player Andy Murray is doing well, the news people say he's British, and if he does poor, he then becomes Scottish. They try to use Britain to help make England look better, even though he's Scottish. It happens with a lot of Sports people. While it's technically true that I am British, I would prefer to be known as Scottish

/Light-hearted rant over. lol
I get that. I feel the same way. I don't feel Spanish. It's not like I hate anything about it, I just don't feel attached to the country cause I belong to a smaller part of it where we have our own language, culture and financial policy. So yeah, I totally get where you're coming from and YES, it is a BIG deal

everything is relative and contradictory ~
(#60 (permalink))
Old
NanteNa (Offline)
sixth gun.

Send a message via Skype™ to NanteNa
12-14-2010, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
Scotland does have some better conditions re students having free University-- one has to remember that comes from taking from all the tax payers.

They brought in a Bill to care for the elderly without charging. How on earth they will find the money to do that!! I wish I knew.

I think its dangerous to be too nationalistic. also very insular.
How can anyone be 'too' nationalistic? Being proud of your heritage and your country is not 'dangerous' to me. I like people who are proud of who they are, where they are and where they're from.

And may I remind you that what you're describing is called a 'welfare' state. lol. They don't ''take'' anything from you. You PAY taxes for that exact purpose - to pay for university and/or for the treatment of elders.

[ <-- Jordan's heart! \(Ò_ó)/ ]
Follow me on TUMBLR
"Well if a chick has a problem with the way I conduct myself I'd draw the bitch
a map to the nearest exit and stamp "fuck off" on her forehead."
- Pot Roast