JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#31 (permalink))
Old
ARose (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to ARose Send a message via MSN to ARose
07-26-2008, 03:38 PM

My bf said he learned British English in school.

(and we have both jam and jelly in the US. they are two different things. )

(#32 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)
Fashion, Games + Art Mod.

07-26-2008, 03:42 PM

I'm not sure which is more used, but I am from England so obviously I speak, well, English English
(#33 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-27-2008, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiluvsjmusic View Post
i think its the same as british english

err no we have a heavy accent on the A sound
And to us it sounds like "I." My japanese friends were wondering what "piper" meant, until we realized the Aussie wanted "paper." that's just how it sounds to us, no insult intended.
(#34 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)
Fashion, Games + Art Mod.

07-27-2008, 09:12 AM

Are we talking about accents here or grammar? I thought this was about the differences in grammar, not the differences in pronunciation. If it's the accent, then there isn't a 'British' accent. They are different depending on where you go. There is a generic 'standard english' which seemingly has no accent, used by people like newsreaders so that everyone is capable of understanding.

The differences in grammar are different spellings like : Colour and Color, Theatre and Theater.
(#35 (permalink))
Old
emiluvsjmusic (Offline)
JF noob

07-27-2008, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul11 View Post
And to us it sounds like "I." My japanese friends were wondering what "piper" meant, until we realized the Aussie wanted "paper." that's just how it sounds to us, no insult intended.
yeah actually i should apologize for being kinda rude...
I see what you mean, I even have a similar story
my dad (australian) was in japan and he was asking my mum if it was safe and she thought he was saying saife (さいふ)

Death Note fam & Shingami clan
JF family|Emi's Space|Haruhiism
(#36 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-28-2008, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastFortnight View Post
It seems that the thread starter just want to know if people around the word use the British standard English (RP) or the General American or some other variation, as she said it isn't about just the spelling, but the pronounce, different words used for the same things and any other curiosity.
This comming from Bob Dylan, who specialized in and used his curiousity for language.
(#37 (permalink))
Old
Amnell (Offline)
W.o.W. I'm 66

Send a message via AIM to Amnell Send a message via Skype™ to Amnell
07-28-2008, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshAussie View Post
I use a weird mix of both. (when spelling) i used to get in trouble at school for using American spelling. i didnt care tho i was doing year 12 English in year 10. My grammar is horrible. moi spelin is brillyant. << lol
Lmao, when I was in 12th grade English, my teacher was constantly getting on my case for using British spellings on words like colour, armour, or honour. "You grew up in Nevada, so why are you writing like from you're from London?!" he once wrote on a short story I handed in.

I find British spellings more aesthetically pleasing <_<; .

I've had the impression since I started learning about other countries and languages that American English is pretty much the standard for everywhere outside of Africa, Australia, Britain (inc. Ireland), and Western Europe. It's hard for me to know, of course, but that's been my impression :P .

When I went to Jamaica, they couldn't seem to make up their minds whether to use AmEng or BritEng. Of course, there were also a lot of signs that were spelled phonetically rather than in the 'official' way of either country.

"The trouble with trying to make something idiot proof is that idiots are so smart." ~A corollary to Murphy's Law

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you actually make them think, they'll hate you. ~Don Marquis

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle
But, that's always f-ed up individuals that kill in secluded areas up high in the mountains. Thats neither the army nor the governments agenda! I hope those people rott in hell, but an army or government shouldn't be judged by psycho individuals.
(#38 (permalink))
Old
Payne222 (Offline)
un américain

07-28-2008, 03:41 AM

I'd say American English.
Plus, our English is better.
Haha.
Especially in Chicago.
We have a unique way of talking,
that I've heard is found nowhere else.
But I love the way I talk!
(^_^)
(#39 (permalink))
Old
MissHoneyBeeee (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-28-2008, 03:52 AM

tho i was born and raised in the US, ppl tend to say i sound like i hav a British accent o-0 especially when i say "What the heck?!"
tho i dunno what this has to do with anything xD
but yeah...it pretty much depends on the teacher/student
tho...for an American English speaker like me, i tend to sound like an English English speaker o-0 so even if some1 grows up knowing English, it also depends on the person, and whom they grow up with lol
(#40 (permalink))
Old
reihiino (Offline)
The North Remembers

07-28-2008, 04:28 AM

I sometimes find myself using some British words (i.e. Mum, the loo, etc...). It was from watching British shows on the "telly" (couldn't resist ) But i was born in California so of course i speak American English...along with...Spanglish...(Alvinho if you ever read this...lol). But even in certain places in America you'll find different terms for the same thing...like "icebox" (my ex-bf used the term "Frigidaire". Claims its a North Carolina thing.) for refrigerator & "tv box" for the remote control...

s the 10th doctor
s Verbal & Taku