JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old
JamboP26 (Offline)
日本オタク

Send a message via MSN to JamboP26
11-07-2010, 02:51 PM

It is the same in Scotland, or certain area's, at least. I seem to recall you saying you've visited Edinburgh, Yuri. Edinburgh is probably one of the places in Scotland where the language used is understandable to most people. Here is a video which will demonstrate an example of an area of Scots English. I can understand all of this, so any questions, please ask away ...And I must warn of the frequent use of bad language (swearing, profanity... whatever you call it)

YouTube - Britains Toughest pubs - Aberdeen

But Glasgow is the place that has the hardest to understand Scots English. lol

I'm a Cafe-kko, Nyappy in the World. But GazeRock is not dead. 「Sixth Gun」です

An Cafe, Vidoll, Versailles, Dir En Grey, Deathgaze, the GazettE, alice nine., UVERworld, Kiryu , YUI, AKB48, Buono!, Berryz Koubou, C-ute, S/mileage, Morning Musume, Zoro, Lolita23Q, Visual Kei, Oshare Kei, J-Rock, J-Pop, Idol groups FTW (≧∀≦)
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-07-2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
Cockney English has a lot of different sounds. It's more from the front of the mouth than the throat, and breathier. They drop sounds a lot too:

They becomes 'dey'
Brother becomes 'bruvver'
Maths becomes 'maffs'
Path becomes 'parf'
Happy become 'appy'
Clapham (a place name) becomes 'Cla'am'
Jumped up becomes 'jampt'ap'

Grammar differences include using 'me' instead of 'my', and 'a'int' instead of isn't. "Nah, dat ain't right," would be "No, that isn't right" in standard English.

And of course, the rhyming slang. Rhyming slang is calling something by a phrase that rhymes with it.
So:
Dog and bone = telephone
Plates of meat = feet
Apples and pears= stairs

But sometimes they drop part of the phrase, so you'd hear people say "ooh, me plates 'urt." for 'ooh, my feet hurt!', or "Just 'ead on ap dose apples" for "just head on up those stairs"

I spent many years in London as a child plus later on in life.

I think that since they have immigrants there from Jamaica etc they brought there own way of speaking with them

Mostly its the way we use or change vowel sounds that makes a difference too.

But certainly we do tend to drop the first and last letters of some words, become lazy.

I used to be a broad cockney until I was fostered out to pastures new.

when I mixed with people of a different class I tried to improve my own way of speaking--

I do actually love that we still have variety on our speech-- it would be boring otherwise.

I used to use !AINT" (IT isn't) all the time. Hate it actually.

we drop "T's" and so many people pronounce the letter "H" as HAICH which I even hear on the Media.

WOT for what-- Wo losing the OT sound.

I think we are supposed to aim to speak the Queens English" which I assume is taught by the english Language Schools. In the olden days-- announcers on the radio spoke the King or Queen's English-- but nowadays we hear dialects from different parts of the country.

I cannot understand Liverpudlian dialect at all-- dislike Birmingham speech-- but Love the geordie.

Love the West country dialect-- even genuine Sussex is lovely.

Here we have so many people who have moved down from London-- so many youngsters really sound a lot like Londoners.

I believe we all seem to copy our Peers, and have one way of talking when mixing with our friends-- and another when with our parents.

Certainly I used to struggle with say "WIV instead of WIth-- which was common. Used such words as BARF larf, and my vowel sounds were grotty.

HOW NOW BROWN COW was a sentence we had to practice to try to enunciate the "OW" sound correctly.

So I suspect every country has its local ways of speaking.

I do know that when I lived in Scotland-- the local Scots deliberately exaggerated their accent because I was a sassenach. LOL.

I hated the Edinburgh habit of saying "A HA" instead of saying Yes. It sounds as if the person is bored-- and its easier to say "A HA" rather than Yes.

Yet some Scots accents are wonderful.

Last edited by dogsbody70 : 11-07-2010 at 05:44 PM.
Old
Columbine (Offline)

11-07-2010, 06:06 PM

This is from a famous UK drama set in London.

YouTube - Bradley dumps Stacey part 4 - EastEnders - BBC

Everyone in it speaks with some kind of London accent. The people in this video also have some cockney traits.

If you listen carefully you can hear:
The man changes 'you' to 'ya'
She softens the 'th' in 'there'
He drops the 'g' on 'anything'
the man drop his 'h' in 'cheap horrible tie'.
she uses 'ain't'
He makes 'down' sound more like 'dahn'
She drops the 'h' on 'heard'
He makes the 'th' in 'nothing' more like f's -> 'nuffing'
Old
JamboP26 (Offline)
日本オタク

Send a message via MSN to JamboP26
11-07-2010, 06:35 PM

When using spoken English, I tend to say 'aye' for yes, along with many other Scottish words

I'm a Cafe-kko, Nyappy in the World. But GazeRock is not dead. 「Sixth Gun」です

An Cafe, Vidoll, Versailles, Dir En Grey, Deathgaze, the GazettE, alice nine., UVERworld, Kiryu , YUI, AKB48, Buono!, Berryz Koubou, C-ute, S/mileage, Morning Musume, Zoro, Lolita23Q, Visual Kei, Oshare Kei, J-Rock, J-Pop, Idol groups FTW (≧∀≦)
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

11-07-2010, 06:37 PM

good idea columbine now as a contrast

OUR QUEEN giving her ChristmasBroadcast.

YouTube - Queen Elizabeth II Christmas Message 2007
Old
Columbine (Offline)

11-07-2010, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
good idea columbine now as a contrast

OUR QUEEN giving her ChristmasBroadcast.

YouTube - Queen Elizabeth II Christmas Message 2007
Ah, good point. The Queen speaks using Received Pronunciation. This used to be considered the standard for British English, but it was never universally used, and is quite uncommon to hear nowadays. Even BBC newsreaders use a much softer version. In the video you can hear:

Very rounded, slightly elongated vowel sounds.
"ago" becomes "agou"
"I" becomes "ai"
'support' becomes 'suppORt'
'off' becomes 'orf'
'old' become 'ohld'

I sounds can be slightly harsher than in standard English. "Surprised" becomes ''SurprAIsed". Nice becomes 'Naice'

Clipped, fully pronounced 't's'. The queen would always ask for 'wharTer' (water), and never 'wor'uh' or 'wor'da'.

You can always hear the 'g' on the end of a word. 'Th' and 'K' are similarly distinct.
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

11-07-2010, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamboP26 View Post
When using spoken English, I tend to say 'aye' for yes, along with many other Scottish words
HI Jambo I love the "AYE" when I returned to England after living five years in SCOTLAND there were many expressions I clung to for a while "AYE" being one of them.

One thing I disliked was when I was in hospital in Stirling giving birth, many of the women referrred to each other as "HEN" Ye ken Hen" etc.

I used to love the Scottish programmes--Calum Kennedy usually in Gaelic-- I used to listen to much of traditional scots folk music. I really missed it when returning to England-- apart from missing the HIlls (Mountains( and Lochs.

I like the word "RUNE" for gutter-- and "Messages" for shopping. My mother in law had a wonderful accent-- using many olde scots expressions. Also she was a marvellous cook. ALL healthy scots recipes and always we had soup.

As we did scottish dancing-- we also enjoyed the dance bands.

I enjoyed Kenneth McKellar but when I heard Peter Mallen singing "AE fond Kiss I fell in love with his singing. I especially enjoyed Mckellars recording of the SONGS OF THE HEBRIDES.
We always played that when showing slides of scottish scenery .

There is a man who does "COAST" Neil Oliver. Have you seen his programmes. When I shut my eyes I could listen to the lilt of his accent for ever.

Last edited by dogsbody70 : 11-07-2010 at 10:30 PM.
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

11-07-2010, 10:39 PM

a famous scottish ballad read by the PRINCE OF WALES!!!!!

Robert Burns - Listen to a Scottish Accent

BBC - Robert Burns - My Luve is like a Red Red Rose there are also some poems read by some well known Scots Men.

Robert Burns extremely famous.

BBC - Robert Burns - My Luve is like a Red Red Rose

if you scroll down on this to Eddie Reader-- you will hear a version of AE FOND KISS.

Not my favourite version but what a lovely tune.BBC - Robert Burns - Ae Fond Kiss

Last edited by dogsbody70 : 11-07-2010 at 10:50 PM.
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

11-07-2010, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
Ah, good point. The Queen speaks using Received Pronunciation. This used to be considered the standard for British English, but it was never universally used, and is quite uncommon to hear nowadays. Even BBC newsreaders use a much softer version. In the video you can hear:

Very rounded, slightly elongated vowel sounds.
"ago" becomes "agou"
"I" becomes "ai"
'support' becomes 'suppORt'
'off' becomes 'orf'
'old' become 'ohld'

I sounds can be slightly harsher than in standard English. "Surprised" becomes ''SurprAIsed". Nice becomes 'Naice'

Clipped, fully pronounced 't's'. The queen would always ask for 'wharTer' (water), and never 'wor'uh' or 'wor'da'.

You can always hear the 'g' on the end of a word. 'Th' and 'K' are similarly distinct.

referring to the way the Queen speaks, here is an article on that subject.

Received Pronunciation
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

11-07-2010, 11:06 PM

English dialect vocabulary

this seems a good site to hear different dialects and accents. click on the figures on the map

hope it works