JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old
JamboP26 (Offline)
日本オタク

Send a message via MSN to JamboP26
11-09-2010, 10:23 AM

Sounds like you had an amazing time experiencing traditional Scottish culture. I hope one day to experience the traditional Japanese culture. I'd say Scots English is slowly dying out with the internet & all, but a number of words still remain. I remember on the day before my 18th birthday, my dad took me to Celtic Park in Glasgow, & this meant leaving early & driving across the country. I had no idea what this 'surprise' was until we stopped for directions right outside the stadium. It was HUGE!!!! I remember nipping into a wee pie shop for lunch. The accents were very strong. I got a tour of the stadium, visited the shop & watched the match (it was Celtic v Hibernian, when 1 Shunsuke Nakamura still played for the team). The weather was aweful, but it will be an experience I remember forever.

I'm a Cafe-kko, Nyappy in the World. But GazeRock is not dead. 「Sixth Gun」です

An Cafe, Vidoll, Versailles, Dir En Grey, Deathgaze, the GazettE, alice nine., UVERworld, Kiryu , YUI, AKB48, Buono!, Berryz Koubou, C-ute, S/mileage, Morning Musume, Zoro, Lolita23Q, Visual Kei, Oshare Kei, J-Rock, J-Pop, Idol groups FTW (≧∀≦)
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-09-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamboP26 View Post
Sounds like you had an amazing time experiencing traditional Scottish culture. I hope one day to experience the traditional Japanese culture. I'd say Scots English is slowly dying out with the internet & all, but a number of words still remain. I remember on the day before my 18th birthday, my dad took me to Celtic Park in Glasgow, & this meant leaving early & driving across the country. I had no idea what this 'surprise' was until we stopped for directions right outside the stadium. It was HUGE!!!! I remember nipping into a wee pie shop for lunch. The accents were very strong. I got a tour of the stadium, visited the shop & watched the match (it was Celtic v Hibernian, when 1 Shunsuke Nakamura still played for the team). The weather was aweful, but it will be an experience I remember forever.

H aHa jambo I was in love with all things scottish. Maybe we can carry on this convo on a new thread?!!

YuKI I hope some of the examples we have posted from YOUTUBE will be of interest to you regarding differning accents and dialects.
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

03-12-2011, 02:32 AM

Massive earthquakes occurred yesterday.

Around 2:50 yesterday, a usual earthquake came. I changed the TV channel to NHK as usual. I always watch NHK when an earthquake occurs.
The breaking news appeared on the top of the TV screen, and that said a massive earthquake occurred.
Suddenly, black out came. The TV was turned out.
It was long-period oscillation, so I thought the seismic center was far from here.
I put my emergency belt bag on, took the radio and my cell phone, and went out of my house.
The ground kept shaking.
I’ve ever had many earthquakes here in Japan, but I’ve never had this big one.
I heard a warning sound of a car left in a parking lot keeping.
The neighbors came out of their house.
We thought our house might collapse.
I looked up power poles and lines to check if they fell down, as a passenger aircraft was going to west and it was not a usual path. I thought HANEDA airport must have been closed and the air plane changed its destination. My house is near the airport.
I got to know that the main source was in the Pacific near Tohoku area located east-north part in Japan.
I wanted to know if my family was safe, but the phone was not working.
I tried to email many times with my mobile, but I only succeeded only two times, and the battery was running out.
I regretted that I hadn’t bought a small power-generating equipment to charge up my phone.
The blackout finished about 9:30 last night.
Luckily, all of my family members were safe.
My house doesn’t have any problems now.
However, I see the TV showing incredible disaster of tunami.
They say the number of missing is over 1300.
Now I don’t know what I can do.

Hello, I may not understand English very well and I may lack words but I will try to understand you.

If you have questions about my post or Japanese customs, don't hesitate to ask.

I YamaP
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

03-12-2011, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuriTokoro View Post
Massive earthquakes occurred yesterday.

Around 2:50 p.m. yesterday, a normal earthquake happened. I changed the TV channel to NHK as usual. I always watch NHK when an earthquake occurs.
The breaking news appeared on the top of the TV screen, and it said a massive earthquake had occurred.
Suddenly, the power went out and the TV turned off.
It was long-period oscillation, so I thought the epicenter was far from here.
I put my emergency belt bag on, took the radio and my cell phone, and left the house.
The ground kept shaking.
I’ve had many earthquakes here in Japan, but I’ve never this big.
I heard a car alarm from a vehicle left in a nearby parking lot.
The neighbors came out of their house.
We thought our house might collapse.
I looked up to the power poles and lines to check if they fell down. At the same time, I saw a passenger aircraft flying to the west. This was not the usual flightpath, so I thought HANEDA airport must have been closed and the airplane had been diverted. My house is near the airport.
I learned that the main source was in the Pacific near the Tohoku area located in the east-north part of Japan.
I wanted to know if my family was safe, but the phone was not working.
I tried to email many times with my mobile, but I only succeeded twice before the battery power got too low.
I regretted that I hadn’t bought a small power-generating equipment to charge up my phone.
The blackout finished about 9:30 last night.
Luckily, all of my family members were safe.
My house doesn’t have any problems now.
However, I see the TV footage of the disasterous tsunami.
They say the number of missing is over 1300.
Now I don’t know what I can do.
Most of the changes were to rearrange concepts in what I hope is a more accurate order in how they occurred. Other revisions were to add or change verbs or tenses to have the sentences read easier and keep the reader's attention. Though in this case, even hearing from a forum member at all during this chaotic time is a relief no amount of revisions can clearly express. Very glad you are safe, Yuri!

Fortunately, there is one woman in this world who can control me.

Unfortunately for you, she is not here.

"Ride for ruin, and the world ended!"
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

03-12-2011, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koir View Post
Most of the changes were to rearrange concepts in what I hope is a more accurate order in how they occurred. Other revisions were to add or change verbs or tenses to have the sentences read easier and keep the reader's attention. Though in this case, even hearing from a forum member at all during this chaotic time is a relief no amount of revisions can clearly express. Very glad you are safe, Yuri!
Koir, thanks!
My composition has become very clear by your favor.
Thanks!!!

Hello, I may not understand English very well and I may lack words but I will try to understand you.

I YamaP
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

03-12-2011, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuriTokoro View Post
Koir, thanks!
My composition has become very clear by your favor.
Thanks!!!
Glad to be of help. Stay safe, okay?

Fortunately, there is one woman in this world who can control me.

Unfortunately for you, she is not here.

"Ride for ruin, and the world ended!"
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

03-12-2011, 10:51 AM

glad u are safe.
Old
JamboP26 (Offline)
日本オタク

Send a message via MSN to JamboP26
03-12-2011, 11:43 AM

I'd say keep safe and keep fighting. Glad to here your ok

I'm a Cafe-kko, Nyappy in the World. But GazeRock is not dead. 「Sixth Gun」です

An Cafe, Vidoll, Versailles, Dir En Grey, Deathgaze, the GazettE, alice nine., UVERworld, Kiryu , YUI, AKB48, Buono!, Berryz Koubou, C-ute, S/mileage, Morning Musume, Zoro, Lolita23Q, Visual Kei, Oshare Kei, J-Rock, J-Pop, Idol groups FTW (≧∀≦)
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

03-13-2011, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
glad u are safe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamboP26 View Post
I'd say keep safe and keep fighting. Glad to here your ok
Hi, dogsbody, JamboP26!
I’m OK.
There are not any collapsed buildings or tsunami near hear.
Thanks!!

I YamaP
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

03-13-2011, 05:36 AM

Hi.
Could someone correct my English?

Two days after the massive earthquakes in Japan.

Two days have passed after the earthquakes here.
Newspapers only have news about this accident. All the TV channels have been broadcasting only about this disaster. They are showing the videos of the time the biggest earthquake and tsunami occurred, giving explanations how radioactivity leaked, reporting where and how many people have been isolated, and commenting many rescue teams from foreign countries are arriving to help us. (We really, really appreciate it. Right now, the announcer is saying the teams from the US, China, Deutsch, Switzerland and some other countries have come. )
I live in Kawasaki city, Kanagawa prefecture which is located next to Tokyo. We only have usual seized earthquakes here. However, bottles waters are scarce in stores. I saw some men buy up all the boxes of bottled water in a supermarket. I think they have two reasons to do so. The first reason may be that tap water have been smelling Chlorine since the day before yesterday. We usually drink tap water and don’t store bottled waters, so we need to buy bottled ones now. (I believe we will be able to drink tap water after boiling it.) And the second might be that they think there will be some massive ones near here and we might lose the lifeline, because the seismic sources seem to be coming nearer.
Some of the shoppers’ eyes seemed to be panic a little. There are no more butane gas cartridges in stores around here.

Thank you for reading the gloomy story! 

I YamaP