Old
coltostallion (Offline)
New to JF

03-13-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuriTokoro View Post
Hi.
Could someone correct my English?

Two days after the massive earthquakes in Japan.

Two days have passed since the earthquakes here.
There is only news about the accidents in the newspapers. All of the TV channels have been broadcasting solely about this disaster. They are showing videos from the time the biggest earthquake and tsunami occurred, giving explanations of how radioactivity leaked, reporting where and how many people have been isolated, and commenting on the many rescue teams from foreign countries that are arriving to help us. (We really, really appreciate it. Right now, the announcer is saying that teams from the US, China, Germany, Switzerland and some other countries have come. )
I live in Kawasaki city, Kanagawa prefecture which is located next to Tokyo. We have only had the usual sized earthquakes here, however, bottles of water are scarce in stores. I saw some men buy all the boxes of bottled water in a supermarket. I think they have two reasons to do so. The first reason may be that tap water has been smelling of Chlorine since the day before yesterday. We usually drink tap water and don’t store bottled water, so we need to buy bottled ones now. (I believe we will be able to drink tap water after boiling it.) The second might be that they think there will be some larger earthquakes near here and we might lose the lifelines that we have, because the seismic activity seems to be coming nearer.
Some of the shoppers’ eyes seemed to be panicked. There are no more butane gas cartridges in stores around here.

Thank you for reading this gloomy story! 
Others are probably better at correcting than I am, but I hope this helps.
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

03-13-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltostallion View Post
Others are probably better at correcting than I am, but I hope this helps.
Hi, coltostallion.
Thank you for helping!

Hello, I may not understand English very well and I may lack words but I will try to understand you.

If you have questions about my post or Japanese customs, don't hesitate to ask.

I YamaP
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

03-14-2011, 02:17 AM

Hi.

Three days after the Massive Earthquakes in Japan.

Three days have passed. We still have many afterquakes(aftershocks) here.
The Prime Minister of Japan announced that they are starting rolling blackout in the northern half of Japan last night, but they didn’t say what time it starts.
This morning, many commuters were surprised to learn many trains didn’t run. The people make long lines around stations in the capital region.
I checked the internet, and they say this rolling blackout will continue until the end of April, and maybe during summer.
I thought I needed a big bucket to flash the toilet because our toilet doesn’t work when blackout happens. So I went to a supermarket nearby.
There were so many people around the shop. I haven’t seen this. Too many people were in the supermarket, and so many people were walking there.
I think they start buying up food because they had learned many factories had stopped and expected food would be scares.
My first priority was not food, but a big bucket, so I changed direction, went to a small local hardware store. Since the shop is small enough, I believed there would not be too many people, and they would not have sold out buckets yet.
Bingo!
There were only several people buying small tanks. I was able to find a big bucket!
Now, one hour later, the blackout will start here.

Thank you!

Rolling blackout - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hello, I may not understand English very well and I may lack words but I will try to understand you.

I YamaP
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

03-14-2011, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Hi.

Three days after the Massive Earthquakes in Japan.

Three days have passed. We still have many aftershocks here.
The Prime Minister of Japan announced that they are starting rolling blackouts in the northern half of Japan last night, but not when they start.
This morning, many commuters were surprised to learn many trains weren't running. The people made long lines around stations in the capital region.
I checked the internet and they said these rolling blackouts will continue until the end of April and possibly into summer.
I thought I needed a big bucket to flush the toilet because it doesn’t work when blackouts happen. So I went to a supermarket nearby.
There were so many people around the shop, something I hadn’t seen before. Too many people were in the supermarket, and many were walking.
I think they started buying up food because they had learned many factories had stopped and that food would be scarce.
My first priority was not food but a big bucket. I left there and went to a small local hardware store. Since the shop is small, I believed there would not be too many people and they would not have sold all their buckets.
Bingo!
There were only a few people buying small tanks. I was able to find a big bucket!
One hour from now, the blackout will be here.

Thank you!

Rolling blackout - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Hope the revisions help the composition read better. As before, verbs were changed and sentences restructured for length and clarity. Also, "Bingo!" reminded me of this scene from a police comedy movie named "The Naked Gun".

Keep safe, Yuri!

Fortunately, there is one woman in this world who can control me.

Unfortunately for you, she is not here.

"Ride for ruin, and the world ended!"
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

03-14-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koir View Post
Hope the revisions help the composition read better. As before, verbs were changed and sentences restructured for length and clarity. Also, "Bingo!" reminded me of this scene from a police comedy movie named "The Naked Gun".

Keep safe, Yuri!
Koir, thanks as always.

The video is funny. I thought he found something important when he said “Bingo!”, but it was a bingo card! Thank you!

I YamaP
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

03-15-2011, 04:21 AM

Hi.

Four days after the Massive Earthquakes in Japan.

Four days have passed since the Earthquakes occurred. Japan is the edge of a radioactive accident now. The leaking radioactivity level is increasing. I believe this is more serious than the earthquakes itself.

In addition, since most power plants stopped, the Government enforced the planned outrages, and the capital region is in total confusion.
Last night, Tokyo Electric Power Company didn’t announce when and where Today’s blackouts would be performed. At about 4 AM this morning, an earthquake happened as I woke up and turned on the TV to check the epicenter and the intensity, and I saw the TV showed the blackout would be from 6:20 AM to 10 AM in this area.
I wanted to know it earlier! Many other people and most railroad companies must have thought the same.
Many factories and trains stops due to this gross incompetence of Tokyo Electric Power Company.

At about 10 AM this morning, I went to a supermarket.
There were a long line of shoppers in front of the shop. The line ran around the corner. The numbers of people who enter the market were limited. We had to wait in line.
Batteries, flashlights, candles, portable gas stoves, small gas canisters, rice, pot noodles, bottled waters, milk, eggs, bread and some other things had been sold out already.
My first priority was cat food today, and I was able to buy three bags of them. I also bought some bacon and rice cakes in passing.
I got home, the blackout didn’t start yet, but then, a car of the city office was coming along the road beside my house announcing that the blackout would be from 11 AM to 1 PM. It was only five minutes to 11 AM.
I wanted to know it earlier, I thought again.
Tohoku Electric Power Company has been saying that there would not be radiation leakage any more, but the situation is getting worse. Are the Electric Power Companies knocking Japan down!?

Thank you.

I YamaP
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

03-15-2011, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Hi.

Four days after the Massive Earthquakes in Japan.

Four days have passed since the Earthquakes occurred. Japan is at the edge of a radioactive accident now. The leaking radioactivity level is increasing and I believe this is more serious than the earthquakes.

In addition, as most power plants have stopped and the Government is enforcing planned outages, the capital region is in total confusion.
Last night, Tokyo Electric Power Company didn’t announce when and where today’s blackouts would be happening. At about 4 AM this morning, an earthquake happened which woke me up. I turned on the TV to check the epicenter and the intensity, and saw the TV showed the blackout would be from 6:20 AM to 10 AM in this area.
I wanted to know that earlier! Many other people and most railroad companies must have thought the same.
Many factories and trains have stopped due to the gross incompetence of Tokyo Electric Power Company.

At about 10 AM this morning, I went to a supermarket.
There were a long line of shoppers in front of the shop that went around the corner. The numbers of people who enter the market were limited so we had to wait in line.
Batteries, flashlights, candles, portable gas stoves, small gas canisters, rice, pot noodles, bottled water, milk, eggs, bread and some other things had been sold out already.
My first priority was cat food today, and I was able to buy three bags of it. I also bought some bacon and rice cakes on impulse.
I got home before the blackout would have started. But then, a city office vehicle was driving down the road beside my house announcing that the blackout would be from 11 AM to 1 PM. It was only five minutes to 11 AM.
Again, I wanted to know that earlier.
Tohoku Electric Power Company has been saying that there would not be radiation leakage any more, but the situation is getting worse. Are the Electric Power Companies knocking Japan down!?

Thank you.
Notable revisions:

"Japan is at the edge of a radioactive accident now." -- preposition 'at' added to more fully imply the precarious situation in the sentence. Additionally the next two sentences were combined to introduce a concept and the writer's opinion of the concept.

"...didn’t announce when and where today’s blackouts would be happening." -- in the time frame of the sentence, the blackouts had not happened yet, so a verb tense that reflects a certain future action is required.

"There were a long line of shoppers in front of the shop that went around the corner." -- as before, two sentences sharing the same concept and observation were combined to increase readability.

"I also bought some bacon and rice cakes on impulse." -- 'on impulse' is a saying that describes an action done with no previous planning.

Opinion:

Still seems to be quite unsettled there, Yuri. I share your annoyance and frustration, but I'm also thinking they're doing the best they can under unbelieveable stress and circumstances.

Keep safe and warm, Yuri. We're sending all the good wishes we can!

Fortunately, there is one woman in this world who can control me.

Unfortunately for you, she is not here.

"Ride for ruin, and the world ended!"
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

03-15-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koir View Post
Notable revisions:

"Japan is at the edge of a radioactive accident now." -- preposition 'at' added to more fully imply the precarious situation in the sentence. Additionally the next two sentences were combined to introduce a concept and the writer's opinion of the concept.

"...didn’t announce when and where today’s blackouts would be happening." -- in the time frame of the sentence, the blackouts had not happened yet, so a verb tense that reflects a certain future action is required.

"There were a long line of shoppers in front of the shop that went around the corner." -- as before, two sentences sharing the same concept and observation were combined to increase readability.

"I also bought some bacon and rice cakes on impulse." -- 'on impulse' is a saying that describes an action done with no previous planning.
Koir, thanks!!
I haven’t been able to study something for four days because of this stress, and I haven’t studied your revisions yet, but I will do it in a few days!!!
I can just scrabble now. Please forgive me if I make a lot of same mistakes.

Quote:
Opinion:

Still seems to be quite unsettled there, Yuri. I share your annoyance and frustration, but I'm also thinking they're doing the best they can under unbelieveable stress and circumstances.

Keep safe and warm, Yuri. We're sending all the good wishes we can!
Thanks.
I will try to be patient.

I YamaP
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

03-15-2011, 11:19 AM

surely it will take time to organise when the blackouts will be. in this current situation. I heard that russia was boosting supplies. it has been a major catastrophe after all. one cannot expect miracles. lets hope that essential items will get through but it will take much co-ordinated planning etc.

ps i will not interfere with any corrections. you are pretty good anyway. here is hoping things improve.

Last edited by dogsbody70 : 03-15-2011 at 11:24 AM.
Old
JamboP26 (Offline)
日本オタク

Send a message via MSN to JamboP26
03-16-2011, 08:56 AM

One of my tweeters said the blackouts will continue until the end of April.

And Yuri, 'Kiotsukete'

I'm a Cafe-kko, Nyappy in the World. But GazeRock is not dead. 「Sixth Gun」です

An Cafe, Vidoll, Versailles, Dir En Grey, Deathgaze, the GazettE, alice nine., UVERworld, Kiryu , YUI, AKB48, Buono!, Berryz Koubou, C-ute, S/mileage, Morning Musume, Zoro, Lolita23Q, Visual Kei, Oshare Kei, J-Rock, J-Pop, Idol groups FTW (≧∀≦)