Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

05-04-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuriTokoro View Post
Hi.
Could someone correct my English?
If my sentences seem to be strange, or you have better and more natural expressions, please tell me.

How to say “Hello” in the Japanese language.

I have heard that native English speakers do not like to repeat what they have just said. Is this right? For example, when you say “Hello”, you would not repeat the word and instead say some other greeting. When you are told “Nice to meet you”, you would use “good to see you” or some other expression.

In Japan, you don’t need to change phrases you have just heard. “Hello” is “Konnichiwa”, and when you are told, “Konnichiwa”, you should reply with “Konnichiwa”. If it is after sunset, people would say “Konbanwa”, so you should respond with “Konbanwa.” No Japanese people would think your vocabulary is poor or that you are not greeting from your heart when you repeat a greeting.

To be honest, I do not see why you would need to demonstrate various expressions all the time when you speak in English. Why? If I may add, many native English speakers always seem to try to present their power and strength. I believe that it must be only natural in some countries, but things are opposite in Japan. People try to avoid showing their strength.

Have you seen Sumo? It’s the traditional Japanese-style wrestling. When a sumo-wrestler from a foreign country held up his fists when he became a champion, Japanese people criticized him saying “He showed off his victory.” We prefer coolness.

In 1998, the Japanese soccer team went to the World Cup where they needed to learn how to express their joy by raising their arms and running around. They thought the Japanese style would seem too calm among many countries.

Anyway, you do not need to represent your strength in Japan. If you do the worst that could happen is people may dislike you. However, it’s only too natural for you, and you might not understand what I mean here. Just keep in mind that humility is prized in Japan if you are planning to visit.

Thank you!
Lots of useful information, Yuri. I do agree Western society is more confrontational and concerned with showing power (only have to look at my avatar to see that, heh) and having control of all situations.

As for the composition, only a few verbs had to be changed. "Said" was changed to "told" to better demonstrate the action being taken on the object of the sentence by the subject of the sentence. Revisions were also made to the sentence talking about representing strength in Japan and the worst that could happen to a Westerner's reputation with the Japanese people.

Hope that is of some use, Yuri, and I haven't contradicted myself too much compared to the discussion in the "say/tell" thread.

Fortunately, there is one woman in this world who can control me.

Unfortunately for you, she is not here.

"Ride for ruin, and the world ended!"
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-04-2011, 03:40 PM

MMM- I wonder what you mean by showing our strength.

If we meet a friend we might say" HI, Good to see you." They might reply,

"You too"-- which would mean glad to see you also.

If we meet strangers we would probably be polite and say say: Good morning, or good afternoon depending on the time of day or night.

If leaving a friend at night we might say-- Goodnight-- see you soon, or just 'Night, see you tomorrow" or "soon" depending on circumstances.
It depends if we know someone we meet.

WE would not say "Goodnight" when we actually meet them, probably just say Hi or hello etc. or Good Evening. often we mention the weather also.

Like,"it's a lovely day," or, "its cold today" or "I am fed up with this weather."

Weather is always a subject that we can mention when meeting strangers as we pass. Not in a busy street or city-- but in the country we tend to greet strangers even if we only say: Oooh isn't it cold, or its hot today, or just something about the weather-- then just smile and pass on.

No set pattern really. Different generations probably have their own way of greeting their friends. They tend to make up words and abbreviate them.

Close friends will have their own special greetings.

It varies a lot.

PS: when you are talking about us showing our power or strength-- I am rather uncertain precisely what you mean. I suspect you are saying that In Japan you are demure and polite and do not say what you really think. Hide or suppress your feelings. AM I wrong?

A little bow-- Konnichiwa-- etc etc-- have everything (off pat.) be precise or well practiced.

My friend explained to me that in a group of japanese girls, if one suggested a trip to see a film-- nobody would say NO-- they would all just agree to go as they dislike standing out from the group. Is that correct?

when I walk my dogs I tend to meet the same people most days, and we usually stop and have a chat together--allow the dogs to play together-- then carry on with our walk. If I Pass residents who are in their front garden, I usually stop and admire their garden and ask them how they are--we usually get to be familiar to each other. All very relaxed.

we usually ask people how they are but do not want a detailed reply as some people tend to moan and groan about their health just a bit too much. If anyone asks me how I am I usually just say, "I'm fine thank you" even if I am not. That avoids long drawn out conversations.

PS: I notice nowadays that often when someone is asked how they are , they will reply with "Good" thanks. That seem so odd to me.

Last edited by dogsbody70 : 05-04-2011 at 04:08 PM.
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

05-04-2011, 04:04 PM

sorry, this repeated itself.

Last edited by dogsbody70 : 05-04-2011 at 04:09 PM.
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

05-05-2011, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koir View Post
Lots of useful information, Yuri. I do agree Western society is more confrontational and concerned with showing power (only have to look at my avatar to see that, heh) and having control of all situations.
Hi, Koir.
Thanks for understanding!
I didn’t meant to offend your culture, and just wanted you to know Japanese people’s attitude.

Quote:
As for the composition, only a few verbs had to be changed. "Said" was changed to "told" to better demonstrate the action being taken on the object of the sentence by the subject of the sentence. Revisions were also made to the sentence talking about representing strength in Japan and the worst that could happen to a Westerner's reputation with the Japanese people.
I really blew it!!
I forgot what I had learned in Dan’s thread when I wrote my previous post.
I will never forget it. Maybe.

Quote:
Hope that is of some use, Yuri, and I haven't contradicted myself too much compared to the discussion in the "say/tell" thread.
Thanks as always, Koir.

Hello, I may not understand English very well and I may lack words but I will try to understand you.

If you have questions about my post or Japanese customs, don't hesitate to ask.

I YamaP
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

05-05-2011, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
MMM- I wonder what you mean by showing our strength.

If we meet a friend we might say" HI, Good to see you." They might reply,

"You too"-- which would mean glad to see you also.
Hi, dogsbody70.
I think there are some people who wouldn’t understand what I mean because their attitude is only natural for them.
In addition, most of all, my explanation must be too poor! I wish I could write English much better.

Quote:
If we meet strangers we would probably be polite and say say: Good morning, or good afternoon depending on the time of day or night.
If leaving a friend at night we might say-- Goodnight-- see you soon, or just 'Night, see you tomorrow" or "soon" depending on circumstances.
It depends if we know someone we meet.[/quote]
I mean you don’t need to show how many expressions you have when you speak in Japanese.

Quote:
WE would not say "Goodnight" when we actually meet them, probably just say Hi or hello etc. or Good Evening. often we mention the weather also.
You say “Good night” when you go to bed, as you know.
That’s “Oyasuminasai” in Japanese.

Quote:
Like,"it's a lovely day," or, "its cold today" or "I am fed up with this weather."
You can say like that here, too, but don’t need it.

Quote:
Weather is always a subject that we can mention when meeting strangers as we pass. Not in a busy street or city-- but in the country we tend to greet strangers even if we only say: Oooh isn't it cold, or its hot today, or just something about the weather-- then just smile and pass on.
I know, while we don’t talk to strangers.

Quote:
No set pattern really. Different generations probably have their own way of greeting their friends. They tend to make up words and abbreviate them.

Close friends will have their own special greetings.

It varies a lot.
You don’t need to have a lot of greetings when you speak in Japanese.

Quote:
PS: when you are talking about us showing our power or strength-- I am rather uncertain precisely what you mean. I suspect you are saying that In Japan you are demure and polite and do not say what you really think. Hide or suppress your feelings. AM I wrong?
Actually, I mean you (English speakers) always seem to show off your various expressions and large vocabulary.

Quote:
A little bow-- Konnichiwa-- etc etc-- have everything (off pat.) be precise or well practiced.
Easy, isn’t it?

Quote:
My friend explained to me that in a group of japanese girls, if one suggested a trip to see a film-- nobody would say NO-- they would all just agree to go as they dislike standing out from the group. Is that correct?
Usually, yes, I think.
Japanese girls are so careful about maintaining peace and harmony among friends.

Quote:
when I walk my dogs I tend to meet the same people most days, and we usually stop and have a chat together--allow the dogs to play together-- then carry on with our walk. If I Pass residents who are in their front garden, I usually stop and admire their garden and ask them how they are--we usually get to be familiar to each other. All very relaxed.

we usually ask people how they are but do not want a detailed reply as some people tend to moan and groan about their health just a bit too much. If anyone asks me how I am I usually just say, "I'm fine thank you" even if I am not. That avoids long drawn out conversations.
What would you say if you have a running nose and a bad cough?

Quote:
PS: I notice nowadays that often when someone is asked how they are , they will reply with "Good" thanks. That seem so odd to me.
Is it from the US?

Hello, I may not understand English very well and I may lack words but I will try to understand you.

I YamaP
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

05-05-2011, 08:01 AM

sorry I cannot separate the sections as you have done Yuri.

I don't think that we show off our vocabulary-- we usually react to specific situations.

Some People show off and give a very poor Impression of their country, especially after they have been drinking alcohol.

Not everyone is the same.

I would have thought it was only courteous when in another country, to be on ones best behaviour and try to fit in with others.

I take an interest in all those that I meet. One cannot say there is a fixed pattern of responses when meeting someone in the street or elsewhere.

usually large cities or Towns are rather anonymous, but in areas where its possible to see the same people many times when out shopping it is courteous to smile and say Hello. A smile can cheer a lonely person.
But obviously in large towns/cities there are too many people who are always rushing around intent on their own affairs or business. Cities can be such lonely places. London especially.

I find that if someone has just moved here from London, they can be very surprised to hear me say "Hello" to them, but nine times out of ten they will smile and reply with a shy Hello.

I have spent years living in the country and there is a big difference between townies and country folk. Where I live now is between town and seaside and country. Not large at all but only seven miles from Brighton which is a popular seaside resort.

Here we are all pretty friendly towards each other.

If I had a cold, I would avoid getting close to anybody, probably say excuse me and turn my head away. make sure I have a handdkerchief or plenty of tissues but try to avoid breathing over other people I would avoid close contact as I would not want to spread my cold

On a train--Its not easy is it? I think the Japanese way of wearing a mask could be a good idea here too.

Last edited by dogsbody70 : 05-05-2011 at 08:09 AM.
Old
JamboP26 (Offline)
日本オタク

Send a message via MSN to JamboP26
05-05-2011, 10:03 AM

Question for you, Yuri, in relation to this. I've seen the phrase 'Ohayo Gozaimasu' used for 'Good morning', and thats shortened to 'Ohayo' for those you are close to, or familiar with. Is it the same with 'Oyasuminasai', shortening to 'Oyasumi'?

About your post, I see it as you are in Japan, so you have to folow their culture/etiquette. Greetings in Japan are fairly simple, I'd say. One for morning, one for afternoon, one for night, and a general 'hello'. I'd say English greetings are slightly more complex, especially amongst us young people. The common greeting nowadays is simply 'Alright?', translating to 'Are you Ok?' or 'How are you?'. Sometimes, 'Good morning' is shortened to 'morning'. 'Good afternoon' generally isn't bothered with here, either is 'Good evening'. I have to say, I prefer the Japanese way, as its more simple and straight to the point. Can't see people saying hello with 'Genki?'

I'm a Cafe-kko, Nyappy in the World. But GazeRock is not dead. 「Sixth Gun」です

An Cafe, Vidoll, Versailles, Dir En Grey, Deathgaze, the GazettE, alice nine., UVERworld, Kiryu , YUI, AKB48, Buono!, Berryz Koubou, C-ute, S/mileage, Morning Musume, Zoro, Lolita23Q, Visual Kei, Oshare Kei, J-Rock, J-Pop, Idol groups FTW (≧∀≦)
Old
hitotsz (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-05-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuriTokoro View Post
Hi.
Could someone correct my English?
If my sentences seem to be strange, or you have better and more natural expressions, please tell me.

How to say “Hello” in the Japanese language.

I have heard that native English speakers do not like to repeat as they have just said. Is this right? For example, when you said, “Hello”, you would not repeat the word and would say some other greetings. When you are said “Nice to meet you”, you would use “good to see you” or some other expressions.

In Japan, you don’t need to change phrases you have just been said. “Hello” is “Konnichiwa”, and when you are greeted with “Konnichiwa”, you should reply saying “Konnichiwa”. If it is after sunset, people would say “Konbanwa”, so you should respond saying “Konbanwa.” No Japanese people would regard that your vocabularies are poor or that you are not greeting from your heart when you repeat.

To be honest, I do not see why you need to show you have various expressions all the time when you speak in English. [Give examples of how they try to show various expressions] Why? If you let me say something else, many native English speakers always seem to try to present their power and strength. I believe that it must be only natural in some countries, but things are opposite in Japan. People try to avoid showing their strength.

Have you seen Sumo wrestling? It’s the traditional Japanese-style wrestling. When a sumo-wrestler from a foreign country held up his fists when he became a champion, Japanese people criticized him, saying “He showed off his victory.” We prefer coolness.

In 1998, the Japanese soccer team first went to the World Cup and then, they needed to learn how to express their joy by raising their arms and running around. They thought the Japanese style would seem too calm among many countries.

Anyway, you do not need to represent [make a display of, show off] your strength in Japan. If you do, people may dislike you, if the worst happens. However, it’s only too natural for you, and you might not understand what I mean here. Just keep in mind that humility is prized in Japan, if you are planning to come to Japan.

Thank you!
Koir said that you should put 'told.' instead of 'have been said.'
Putting 'If you are told, "Konbanwa"' might make sense in the context but I think 'told' is used in context of communicating certain information, not greeting.
If you put 'told,' some people might think some things were deleted between. Perhaps readers might think it might actually be "If you are told that... 'Konbanwa' ..." or "If you are told to say 'Konbanwa'...," but only after they have read the whole paragraph they would be certain that 'told' means 'to have been greeted with.'

It can be just 'greeted.': "If you are greeted, Konbanwa."

Last edited by hitotsz : 05-07-2011 at 02:00 PM.
Old
tina2 (Offline)
New to JF

05-05-2011, 02:29 PM

a belief in luck means that you believe there is a chance in life for something good to happen and things can get better for you. If you don't belief in luck, you
believe life is hard and everything you get is probably going to be a struggle. I hope this helps.
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

05-07-2011, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamboP26 View Post
Question for you, Yuri, in relation to this. I've seen the phrase 'Ohayo Gozaimasu' used for 'Good morning', and thats shortened to 'Ohayo' for those you are close to, or familiar with. Is it the same with 'Oyasuminasai', shortening to 'Oyasumi'?
Yes, you are right.
“Ohayoh” is from “Ohayoh Gozaimasu”, and “Oyasumi” is from “Oyasuminasai”.

Quote:
About your post, I see it as you are in Japan, so you have to folow their culture/etiquette. Greetings in Japan are fairly simple, I'd say. One for morning, one for afternoon, one for night, and a general 'hello'. I'd say English greetings are slightly more complex, especially amongst us young people. The common greeting nowadays is simply 'Alright?', translating to 'Are you Ok?' or 'How are you?'. Sometimes, 'Good morning' is shortened to 'morning'. 'Good afternoon' generally isn't bothered with here, either is 'Good evening'. I have to say, I prefer the Japanese way, as its more simple and straight to the point. Can't see people saying hello with 'Genki?'
I’ve never said that. I would say “Genki datta?” meaning like “How have you been?”
I would say “Genki?” only when talking on the phone and can’t see the face you are talking. Only on the phone, mails and Emails. The polite expression is “Ogenki desuka?”
When you see the friend’s face, you know whether she is OK or not, and you don’t need to ask how is the person at the point. However, if your close friend seemed to be really depressed, you can say “Genki?”, but we don’t call it greetings.

I YamaP