JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

05-07-2011, 04:52 PM

That's a very common take on it dogsbody.
I think that westerners coming to Japan often feel very very frustrated by it due to perceiving it the way you do, as I did actually.

I've come to see it differently now, perhaps not the way Japanese people see it, but it helps me go along with it.

In the movie example.

If some friends want to go, and others don't, and they all go, then some will feel a little apprehensive about it but they'll still all enjoy each others company as a group.
If they don't go, those who'd wanted to go would be apprehensive about not having been able to go, but still would enjoy each others company as a group.
If they split up and each do as each one pleases, there's no longer a group.
The individuality forces each person into isolation.

Say now we introduce the all-powerful democratic force. The majority rules and they don't go to the movie, then the minority may be apprehensive but they still enjoy each others company as a group.
Except, it keeps happening, the minority keeps getting voted out and eventually segregates or isolates from the group once again.

This is just how I've come to see the importance of harmony in Japan, I'm not pretending to be voicing the opinions of how Japanese people feel about it.

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

05-07-2011, 04:54 PM

regarding showing off strength.

In western culture it's also bad to show off strength or power etc, no one likes that cocky bastard, the conceited guy etc.
In Japan it just takes a LOT less to fall into that category.

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-07-2011, 09:32 PM

I guess that in reality we all like to fit in and not look stupid.

Train journeys here in UK can be tedious when nobody talks to anybody else.

The English were always known for their reserve-- especially down south.

When we get foreigners on trains or buses they often get out their mobile phones and talk loudly in their own language-- disturbing other passengers.

They say that Northerners are far more friendly than southerners. Not sure if that is still the case.

I hate to hear about the British yobbos who seem to be seen as representative of the British-- and that upsets me.

It seems that in large groups, especially where there is alcohol, the crowd just sing and shout and cause mayhem-- yet get each of those as individuals-- and I bet they would be so different.

One of the reasons I joined this forum was to try to understand my japanese friend better.

I have read many books about the society and culture.

What Yuri says goes along with some that I have read and also what my friend has told me about Japan.

She says she wants to stay here because she loves the English people that she has met--it is unlikely that she would be out at night near clubs and pubs.

she has been made really welcome over here-- and does not want to return to Japan.

she told me how in awe of the emperor they had been, not even daring to say his name. Thinking of him as a GOD.

she also said that whenever she takes a trip back to Japan that her family and friends say how she is now not Japanese in her manner. They scold her.

She enjoys the freedom she has here and our beautiful countryside. she is fascinated by our History and pretty knowledgeable about it too. Unfortunately it is unlikely that she will be allowed to stay here permanently.
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

05-08-2011, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
May I suggest that for those who wish to ask Yuri questions about Japanese, that new thread is started for that purpose rather than use this thread which is for Yuril learning English. Isn't it?
Totally agreed.

@JamboP26
I will say this because YuriTokoro is too nice to. Go to the Japanese Help section and ask those questions irrelevant to the thread. That is if you've got the guts to show us your lame addiction to romaji. You have been claming to love Japanese culture all over JF and all you have to show for it is a few phrases in romaji, which has NOTHING to do with Japanese culture.

If you take it for granted that YuriTokoro writes English using the Roman alphabet, which you completely do, then apply the same logic to Japanese writing, which is written with its own proper writing systems.

How Japanese is written is not even a personal choice like Koir also has been claiming with unusual fervor. It's a rule. If you cannot respect it, that is how much respect you have for Japanese culture, which revolves around its language.

IMHO, a serious student like OP deserves much better teachers here ---- certainly not someone who doesn't even know what "active voice" or "passive voice" means in English grammar. Yes, I mean you, Professor Koir. Even I, a complete outsider to the English language, know that.
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

05-08-2011, 07:03 AM

Quote:
May I suggest that for those who wish to ask Yuri questions about Japanese, that new thread is started for that purpose rather than use this thread which is for Yuril learning English. Isn't it?
Hi, dogsbody.

OK. I will try.

Quote:
I asked you about the group where one girl would suggest they go to a certain film-- and the rest would agree rather than cause disharmony. so therefore== aothough some of them may not actually want to go to that film, they will just agree and go with the others.

Personally I find that hard, surely a discussion should take place so that others can give their opinions.
Most Japanese people usually keep in mind that “Kuuki wo yomu”.
Its translation may be „Sense the atmosphere“.
If you suggest something, you need to fathom other people’s interest.
You can’t suggest anything without knowing what the most of the people in the group want to do. You should remember what they have said what they were interested in.
You should do what you are supposed to do here.
This is a very complicated topic. I will write about it in my post.

Hello, I may not understand English very well and I may lack words but I will try to understand you.

If you have questions about my post or Japanese customs, don't hesitate to ask.

I YamaP
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

05-08-2011, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealJames View Post
regarding showing off strength.

In western culture it's also bad to show off strength or power etc, no one likes that cocky bastard, the conceited guy etc.
Hi, James.
Actually, western people always seem to try showing off their strength and power etc to me.

Quote:
In Japan it just takes a LOT less to fall into that category.
Sorry, I don’t see what you mean.
What is “that category”?

Hello, I may not understand English very well and I may lack words but I will try to understand you.

If you have questions about my post or Japanese customs, don't hesitate to ask.

I YamaP
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

05-08-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuriTokoro View Post
Hi, dogsbody.

OK. I will try.

Most Japanese people usually keep in mind that “Kuuki wo yomu”.
Its translation may be „Sense the atmosphere“.
If you suggest something, you need to fathom other people’s interest.
You can’t suggest anything without knowing what the most of the people in the group want to do. You should remember what they have said what they were interested in.
You should do what you are supposed to do here.
This is a very complicated topic. I will write about it in my post.

There is a saying: when in Rome do as the romans do.
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

05-08-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuriTokoro View Post
Hi, James.
Actually, western people always seem to try showing off their strength and power etc to me.

Sorry, I don’t see what you mean.
What is “that category”?
That category = "that cocky bastard, the conceited guy etc"
And I meant to say that in western cultures a person can be relatively confident without falling into that category, but that in Japan that same person would fall into that category. There's a lower threshold for pride here

Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

05-08-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masaegu View Post
IMHO, a serious student like OP deserves much better teachers here ---- certainly not someone who doesn't even know what "active voice" or "passive voice" means in English grammar. Yes, I mean you, Professor Koir. Even I, a complete outsider to the English language, know that.
Free only goes so far, there's a reason English language schools are successful in Japan. Because you get what you pay for
I assume that when Yuri started this thread she didn't expect someone like me (who, for example, knows the difference between active and passive voices lol) to answer all her questions professionally, what she's getting from Koir is probably what she was (or should have been) expecting.

Please don't misunderstand me; I'm not trying to pretend that I'm too good to answer everyone's questions about the English language, it's simply that it's what I get paid to do for like 60 hours a week and I tend to enjoy the debates in this forum more than regurgitating what I had been doing all day long.

And Masaegu, you're right, the teachers here are far from good enough for what Yuri needs, I just doubt she expected better from 0y on an internet forum.

Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

05-08-2011, 10:10 AM

well masaegeu its clear that you object to actual native English speakers trying to help Yuri,

so when she mixes with English people that she comes across-- is she still having to say Oh I cannot speak to you because you are not trained to teach English.

I think it is also essential for any learner to know the normal natural everyday way of language that the English use.

I do find some of the so called EXPERTS responses mind boggling replies.

I am interested to know who taught you Masegeu because you have an excellent way with your English writing.

You should not despise the Native English speakers because most of them are just saying what comes naturally.

I believe that KOIR is Canadian? What about Dangauss' Posts. You seemed to like them?

I do not know if Yuri attends college to study English? do you Yuri?

Last edited by dogsbody70 : 05-08-2011 at 10:19 AM.