LinkBack Thread Tools
(#141 (permalink))
Old
girigiri (Offline)
JF Regular

06-22-2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:
交感…? You might have wanted to say 同感?
あっ。。。 それは自分に覚えてできなかったちゃんと 言葉です。ありがとうございました。ちなみに、ゆりと ころさんが覚なんですか?

Quote:
I went to Café Du Monde and ate beignets in Ikebukuro, Tokyo
beignets? あっ。。。あたらしいことばですじぶんに。おいしそう みたい。"beignets in Ikeburo" ー 何らかのソースなんで、ことによったらフリッター ですか?
I went to (the) Café Du Monde in Ikebukuro, Tokyo and ate beignets. ○
または
I had beignets at (the) Café Du Monde in Ikebukuro, Tokyo. ◎

Quote:
I’ve been to the original Café Du Monde Coffee Stand in the New Orleans French Market in the US. I had a good time and enjoyed their delicious beignets.
I've → I have
"... in the US. I..." → "... in the US, where ..."

This should be the opening sentence. You are using the American Cafe du Monde as the base point for comparison. Because you are referring to two different Cafe du Mondes, it is necessary to use the definite article "the" for each.

Quote:
The beignets are served in an order of three big ones in the US, and six small ones in Japan.
Disordered sentence, but can be understood without difficulty.
"A serve of beignets in the US has three large ones, while/where a serve in Japan has six small ones." (better, but still not pretty.)
"Three large beignets make up a serve in the US; where/while in Japan, there are six small ones." Rather than have this, it may be better to merge these descriptions with the relevant earlier sentences, .
Quote:
The differences may be for three reasons.
The servings ( 1. the US serving, 2. the Japanese serving.) are the point of comparison here - therefore, "three reasons for the difference."
Emphasise: this is speculation - eliminate the risk that someone might think you are claiming to have investigated the reasons behind the difference.

"Three possible reasons for the difference come to mind."

Quote:
The first reason would be that three large beignets are too much for a Japanese woman.
The second would be that Japanese women hate getting their hands greasy.
The last reason would be that Japanese women hate the flying powdered sugar.
First, second, third ... acknowledge that there may be other reasons.

Quote:
Do you think big ones would be better? I prefer small ones!
I prefer small beignets, which do you prefer?

(Having read all of the passage now, these things sound like poffertjes. If so, small is definitely better.)

@Koir: ??? How do you eat your pancakes?

Last edited by girigiri : 06-22-2009 at 05:52 PM.
(#142 (permalink))
Old
Yuusuke (Offline)
Banned!

06-22-2009, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuriTokoro View Post
Hi.
Could you correct my English?

"Café Du Monde Coffee Stand"

I went to Café Du Monde and ate beignets in Ikebukuro, Tokyo.
I’ve been to the original Café Du Monde Coffee Stand in the New Orleans French Market, [/b]IN[/b] the US. I had a good time and enjoyed delicious beignets there.
The beignets are served in order of three big ones in the US, while six small ones in Japan. The difference might be from three reasons.
The first reason would be that three big beignets are too much for a Japanese woman.
The second would be that Japanese women hate getting their hands greasy.
The last reason would be that Japanese women hate the flying powder sugar.
So, we eat small beignets in one go with a fork.
Do you think big ones would be better? I prefer small ones!

Thank you.
Cafe Du Monde - Original French Market Coffee Stand New Orleans - Our History
This was practically perfect X_X
but after u state japanese women once for one reason, u can just use "they" instead of japanese women.

(#143 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

06-22-2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by girigiri View Post
Disordered sentence, but can be understood without difficulty.
"A serve of beignets in the US has three large ones, while/where a serve in Japan has six small ones." (better, but still not pretty.)
"Three large beignets make up a serve in the US; where/while in Japan, there are six small ones." Rather than have this, it may be better to merge these descriptions with the relevant earlier sentences.
Small correction: It's "serving" instead of "serve".

Quote:
The servings ( 1. the US serving, 2. the Japanese serving.) are the points of comparison here - therefore, "three reasons for the difference."
Emphasise: this is speculation - eliminate the risk that someone might think you are claiming to have investigated the reasons behind the difference.
This post is an illustration of personal observation. As such, it does not need defending...unless one is talking about beignets in front of a jury or a symposium audience.

Quote:

If the writer only wishes to discuss three reasons behind his/her conclusions, that should be enough for a casual reader.

Quote:
@Koir: ??? How do you eat your pancakes?
Pancakes are not dessert. They are a breakfast item.

Fortunately, there is one woman in this world who can control me.

Unfortunately for you, she is not here.

"Ride for ruin, and the world ended!"
(#144 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

06-23-2009, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koir View Post
I looked up beignets on the Wikipedia site, and they seem large, even to me. There's far too much powdered sugar on them. Way too much for me to consider eating. I can understand why having smaller beignets would be preferable to larger ones if they are served in the way shown in the wikipedia photograph.

The only desserts you should need a knife and fork for are pies and cakes!

Good work on the post, Yuri!
Koir, thanks as always.

Do I need to write what beignets are in the first part of my post? Are there people who don’t know what beignets are?

Hello, I may not understand English very well and I may lack words but I will try to understand you.

If you have questions about my post or Japanese customs, don't hesitate to ask.

I YamaP
(#145 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

06-23-2009, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuriTokoro View Post
Koir, thanks as always.

Do I need to write what beignets are in the first part of my post? Are there people who don’t know what beignets are?
I confess my first guess was "donuts" when I read the post the first time. Thanks to wikipedia, I understood fully. So yes, a little bit of explanation about beignets at the start would be helpful. A picture would also be a good idea.

Fortunately, there is one woman in this world who can control me.

Unfortunately for you, she is not here.

"Ride for ruin, and the world ended!"
(#146 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

06-23-2009, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koir View Post
I confess my first guess was "donuts" when I read the post the first time. Thanks to wikipedia, I understood fully. So yes, a little bit of explanation about beignets at the start would be helpful. A picture would also be a good idea.
I have a picture of small beignets I took in the Cafe Du monde in Tokyo. This will do.
Koir, thanks!

Hello, I may not understand English very well and I may lack words but I will try to understand you.

I YamaP
(#147 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

06-23-2009, 05:03 AM

Hi, girigiri.
Quote:
ちなみに、ゆりところさんが覚なんですか?
Sorry, but I don’t see what you mean.
What do you mean with覚 ?

Quote:
beignets? あっ。。。あたらしいことばですじぶんに。おいしそう みたい。"beignets in Ikeburo" ー 何らかのソースなんで、ことによったらフリッター ですか?
I went to (the) Café Du Monde in Ikebukuro, Tokyo and ate beignets. ○
または
I had beignets at (the) Café Du Monde in Ikebukuro, Tokyo. ◎
Thanks. I didn’t know “beignets in Ikebukuro” sounds like “beignets in Ikebukuro sauce”.

Quote:
This should be the opening sentence. You are using the American Cafe du Monde as the base point for comparison. Because you are referring to two different Cafe du Mondes, it is necessary to use the definite article "the" for each.
Articles will remain a challenge for me forever!

Quote:
"Three large beignets make up a serve in the US; where/while in Japan, there are six small ones." Rather than have this, it may be better to merge these descriptions with the relevant earlier sentences.
Do you mean “I’ve been to the original Café Du Monde Coffee Stand in the New Orleans French Market in the US. I had a good time and enjoyed the delicious beignets, three large ones make up a serving in the US; while in Japan, there are six small ones.” ?

Quote:
The servings ( 1. the US serving, 2. the Japanese serving.) are the point of comparison here - therefore, "three reasons for the difference."
That should be a singular form. OK.

Quote:

This is very a useful expression. Thanks!

Quote:
What would you start the sentences with?

Quote:

(Having read all of the passage now, these things sound like poffertjes. If so, small is definitely better.)
I think there must be some reasons why the original Café Du Monde still serves three big beignets in an order; for example, American people would like big ones, or small ones don’t give them a sense of having eaten. Should I have written this in the post?

Thanks!!

I YamaP
(#148 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

06-23-2009, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuusuke View Post
but after u state japanese women once for one reason, u can just use "they" instead of japanese women.
Yuusuke, thanks!
This is very instructive. Thanks again!

I YamaP
(#149 (permalink))
Old
girigiri (Offline)
JF Regular

06-23-2009, 08:23 AM

ゆりところへ

Having looked at the Wikipedia picture - beignets are nothing like what I had imagined.

Quote:

By which I meant; leave it open - the use of "last" might imply that there are only three possible reasons. Use "third" in place of "last".
That style is more suitable for lectures than for discourse though, so ordinary sentence structures might be a better model.

Quote:
Articles will remain a challenge for me forever!
A small matter; incorrect use usually doesn't cause confusion. Most native English speakers can't declare the reasons for one choice over another anyway.
However, as a rough guide - if とある would not be out of place in Japanese (たとえば: とある人), "the" is most likely to be the correct choice. Likewise, in the appropriate sentences, は normally takes a definite article; and が an indefinite article.

Quote:
“I’ve been to the original Café Du Monde Coffee Stand in the New Orleans French Market in the US. I had a good time and enjoyed the delicious beignets, three large ones make up a serving in the US; while in Japan, there are six small ones.” ?
りっぱ。

something along the lines of
{I’ve had the pleasure of going to the original Café Du Monde Coffee Stand (in the New Orleans French Market) in the US and to the Café Du Monde in Ikebukuro, Tokyo. Their beignets, three large ones for a serving in the US; six small ones in Japan, are delicious.} would round it nicely:
(Keeping in mind Koir's objection to using "serve").

Quote:
For the most part, I agree with Yuusuke. There was nothing wrong with your original passage. Had you asked "Is this OK?" rather than "Could you correct my English?" the only possible answer would have been "yes."

Quote:
What do you mean with覚 ?
違った漢字でしょうか? 「さとり」。富士山の下に住 んでいている「おもいさん」のような人。 (もしかし て、「おもい様的な人」) ????????????????????

Koir:
Quote:
Pancakes are not dessert. They are a breakfast item.
In some parts of the world, that is indeed so.

Last edited by girigiri : 06-23-2009 at 08:35 AM.
(#150 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

06-24-2009, 12:38 PM

Hi, girigiri.
Quote:
ゆりところへ
Having looked at the Wikipedia picture - beignets are nothing like what I had imagined.
Please call me ゆり.(ところ is my family name.)
Sorry, I thought beignets were well known by native English speakers.

Quote:
By which I meant; leave it open - the use of "last" might imply that there are only three possible reasons. Use "third" in place of "last".
That style is more suitable for lectures than for discourse though, so ordinary sentence structures might be a better model.
I’m afraid; I don’t see what “ordinary sentence structures” are. Some examples, please.

Quote:
A small matter; incorrect use usually doesn't cause confusion. Most native English speakers can't declare the reasons for one choice over another anyway.
However, as a rough guide - if とある would not be out of place in Japanese (たとえば: とある人), "the" is most likely to be the correct choice. Likewise, in the appropriate sentences, は normally takes a definite article; and が an indefinite article.
「The “something” は ~」and 「A “something” が ~」 OK. Thank you.

Quote:
りっぱ。
ありがとー!!

Quote:
something along the lines of
{I’ve had the pleasure of going to the original Café Du Monde Coffee Stand (in the New Orleans French Market) in the US and to the Café Du Monde in Ikebukuro, Tokyo. Their beignets, three large ones for a serving in the US; six small ones in Japan, are delicious.} would round it nicely:
(Keeping in mind Koir's objection to using "serve").
In that case, my post should start like this:
"Have you been to the Café Du Monde Coffee Stand?
I’ve had the pleasure of going to the original Café Du Monde Coffee Stand (in the New Orleans French Market) in the US and to the Café Du Monde in Ikebukuro, Tokyo. Their beignets, three large ones for a serving in the US; six small ones in Japan, are delicious."

Quote:
For the most part, I agree with Yuusuke. There was nothing wrong with your original passage. Had you asked "Is this OK?" rather than "Could you correct my English?" the only possible answer would have been "yes."
You have taught me many expressions and that’s I wanted to know.
If I ask “Is this OK?”, I wouldn’t get chances to know new phrases.

Quote:
違った漢字でしょうか? 「さとり」。富士山の下に住 んでいている「おもいさん」のような人。 (もしかし て、「おもい様的な人」) ????????????????????
ごめんなさい、わかりません。 
You wrote”ちなみに、ゆりと ころさんが覚なんですか?”. Please write it in English.
(覚える means “remember” or “pick up”, but in your sentence, 覚 seems to be a noun. Sorry, I don’t see what you mean. I don’t know what 「さとり」or 「おもいさん」too.)

Is this OK?

“Café Du Monde Coffee Stand”

I had beignets at the Café Du Monde in Ikebukuro, Tokyo. (You see the beignets in the picture.)
I’ve been to the original Café Du Monde Coffee Stand in the New Orleans French Market in the US. I had a good time and enjoyed the delicious beignets, three large ones make up a serving in the US; while in Japan, there are six small ones. Three possible reasons for the difference come to mind.
The first reason would be that three large beignets are too much for a Japanese woman. The second would be that they hate getting their hands greasy. The third reason would be that they hate the flying powdered sugar.
So, we eat small beignets in one bite with a fork.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Beignets.jpg (43.4 KB, 24 views)

I YamaP