JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#201 (permalink))
Old
trunker (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-09-2009, 02:57 AM

they are both correct, but it depends on the context.

when you have too many things to do you could use:

I am under alot of pressure from .....................(work, school, society,etc)

tension and strain are slightly different. think of it this way,.....

strain- you are holding something heavy up above your head, your arms get tired, they are straining to hold something up. so strain refers to you doing something. the strain of working for sacho-san cos he is an asshat.

tension is a stretching force, like on a string or a piece of gum. in your context you could say that so many things are pulling you in different directions. its like an external force is affecting you, unlike strain where you are the one exerting the force.

perhaps someone else will chime in to explain it better as i seem to have made a bit of a mess of it all :P
(#202 (permalink))
Old
Nagareboshi (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to Nagareboshi
07-09-2009, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuriTokoro View Post
Could you tell me this?

Which would you say when you have too much things to do?
What’s the difference between them?
Are they grammatically correct?

1. I feel the strain.
2. I feel the tension.

Thank you!

They're grammatically correct, but in a situation where you're really busy and overwhelmed, the phrases "I'm stressed" or "I feel stressed" would probably be better.

There really isn't a big difference between "strain" and "tension".

One definition of "strain" is- To be subjected to great stress.

One definition of "tension" is- Mental, emotional, or nervous strain.

Last edited by Nagareboshi : 07-09-2009 at 03:01 AM. Reason: Posted late
(#203 (permalink))
Old
komitsuki (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-09-2009, 09:27 AM

Quote:
If I start with “Yomise is”, the next words should be “a night festival”. I should have written “Yomise means a small, mobile food stall opened at night, and is a night festival.” Is this correct?
Because when people explain things (of a meaning), people tend to equate things too, but not always. It's how people understand ideas. As we know, we do this with the help of languages.

Back to the point: you can also say "Yomise is a small food stall opened at night but conventionally* it is (a word for) a night festival."

But that is just my personal preference. In my case, I love to use adverbs .

*Conforming to established practice or accepted standards

------------------

There are tons of ways to make a sentence (or two or more sentences; or a paragraph) of a desired meaning. That is a common trait in every languages. At the end, as a learner of human languages, there is a need to know that ideas can be expressed many ways with words.

Thank you.

JapanForum's semi-resident amateur linguist.
(#204 (permalink))
Old
komitsuki (Offline)

07-09-2009, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trunker View Post
yomise can either be singular or plural in japanese but in english you have to make the difference obvious.
Japanese words in the English language don't always have the plural-singular distinction (similar to Japanese for this case).

Some English speakers will say "otakus" or "otaku"... to say there is a group of people who identify themselves in this particular subculture.

Strangely a Japanese word, ninja, always have the plural-singular distinction. I don't know why.

But the most complicated things in the English language is that some pluralized words don't end in "-s", mainly attributed from the old classical Germanic langauge heritage.

JapanForum's semi-resident amateur linguist.

Last edited by komitsuki : 07-09-2009 at 09:38 AM.
(#205 (permalink))
Old
trunker (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-09-2009, 10:41 AM

good point, but i think that depends on if that english speaker is familiar with how to use the word and the whole lack of singular plural thing in japanese.

for example you and i would get it, but i think your average person might not. i mean i myself find it hard not to add an -s or -es if i use a japanese word, in much the same way that i would say "octopuses" instead of "octopi" or perhaps "fishes" instead of just fish.

but yeah, its not necessary i suppose.

but it does bring up an interesting question,... when using a foreign word in a second language which ones conventions does one adopt?
(#206 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

07-09-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koir View Post
Both sentences are grammatically correct. They differ in the type of stress being felt by the person, and how they react to it.

Sentence 1 carries the meaning of "pulling", or some force exerted either physically or mentally on the person. The person may have to physically exert themselves in a sport they have not tried before, or mentally exerting themselves to understand a concept or a series of concepts. Either way, the person is finding that the current activity is requiring him or her to stretch beyond his or her limits.

Sentence 2 can be understood as the opposite of sentence one. In my opinion, "tension" in this case carries the meaning that a person is under some sort of pressure, as in a deadline for an assignment. It could also be an expression thought or spoken when dealing with a difficult situation that needs to be handled in a certain, specific way with no errors. Once a person begins to deal with the situation, any actions must be performed with no mistakes until the situation is dealt with completely.
Hi, Koir. Thanks as always.
Thanks for the good, convincing explanation.
When I need to do something beyond my limits, I feel the strain.
When I need to do something very quickly or with no errors, I feel the tension. Right?

Quote:
In the context of having too many things to do, it depends on how familiar the tasks are: if they are unfamiliar, sentence 1. If they are unfamiliar, sentence 2.
Both of them are unfamiliar?

Hello, I may not understand English very well and I may lack words but I will try to understand you.

If you have questions about my post or Japanese customs, don't hesitate to ask.

I YamaP
(#207 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

07-09-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trunker View Post
they are both correct, but it depends on the context.

when you have too many things to do you could use:

I am under alot of pressure from .....................(work, school, society,etc)

tension and strain are slightly different. think of it this way,.....

strain- you are holding something heavy up above your head, your arms get tired, they are straining to hold something up. so strain refers to you doing something. the strain of working for sacho-san cos he is an asshat.
Hi, trunker.
Thanks for explaining, but I don’t see who sacho-san is and what asshat is.
Sacho-san might be shacho-san??? You mean the boss?
Even so, I see what you are saying like this: When I feel strain, I feel something heavy on my shoulders or mind.

Quote:
tension is a stretching force, like on a string or a piece of gum. in your context you could say that so many things are pulling you in different directions. its like an external force is affecting you, unlike strain where you are the one exerting the force.
“Like on a string.” This is very easy to imagine.
If you perform tightrope walking, you would feel tension. Right?
This image is very easy to learn. Thanks!

Hello, I may not understand English very well and I may lack words but I will try to understand you.

I YamaP
(#208 (permalink))
Old
trunker (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-09-2009, 01:12 PM

ha yeah i meant shacho, and asshat is a mild asshole i suppose,.... baka will do.

Koirs dscription of tension is better than mine, but yeah you are right.

if someone is walking a tightrope, the tension would be felt by the people watching,.... and the person doing it will feel some as well, but normally it would refer to the people watching.
(#209 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

07-09-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Hi, Koir. Thanks as always.
Thanks for the good, convincing explanation.
When I need to do something beyond my limits, I feel the strain.
When I need to do something very quickly or with no errors, I feel the tension. Right?
Correct, Yuri.

Quote:
Both of them are unfamiliar?
An error caused by fatigue, my apologies.

Sentence 1: unfamiliar
Sentence 2: familiar

Once again, my apologies. Many times when I type, my fingers automatically move to spell out words that sometimes are not what I'm thinking. It just gets worse when I'm tired.

Have a great day, Yuri!

Fortunately, there is one woman in this world who can control me.

Unfortunately for you, she is not here.

"Ride for ruin, and the world ended!"

Last edited by Koir : 07-09-2009 at 01:44 PM.
(#210 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

07-10-2009, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagareboshi View Post
They're grammatically correct, but in a situation where you're really busy and overwhelmed, the phrases "I'm stressed" or "I feel stressed" would probably be better.
Hi, Nagareboshi.
I see. I’m stressed. Thank you.

Quote:
There really isn't a big difference between "strain" and "tension".
If there were big differences, there wouldn’t be any problems to understand.
I believe there is a slight difference, isn’t there?
Do you interchange them?

Quote:
One definition of "strain" is- To be subjected to great stress.
One definition of "tension" is- Mental, emotional, or nervous strain.
Strain is something you are imposed, and tension is mental strain?
Isn’t there physical strain? When I say physical strain, does it mean “bending and stretching exercises”?
Thank you.

I YamaP