LinkBack Thread Tools
(#401 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-10-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koir View Post
Just a few revisions as well, Yuri. The statement about "return road" confused me. Do you mean the pictures were taken as she was leaving the farewell party?
Hi, Koir.

We took pictures after the farewell party on the road.

Hello, I may not understand English very well and I may lack words but I will try to understand you.

If you have questions about my post or Japanese customs, don't hesitate to ask.

I YamaP
(#402 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

10-10-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuriTokoro View Post
Hi, Koir.

We took pictures after the farewell party on the road.
Okay. Was just making sure.

Revision:

"We were sad to say goodbye, so we took many pictures with her just before she left us."

Fortunately, there is one woman in this world who can control me.

Unfortunately for you, she is not here.

"Ride for ruin, and the world ended!"
(#403 (permalink))
Old
DougLewis (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via Skype™ to DougLewis
10-10-2009, 05:18 PM

"We took pictures after the farewell party on the road."

I do know what you mean. However, to convey more clarity you may want to expand slightly on the scenario.

An example might be:

"After the farewell party, we took many pictures (of scenery?) (each other?) as we traveled along the road back to (place?) from (place).

This makes the assumption that you traveled and took photographs.

Perhaps you did not.

It could be from your description that you did not travel on the road, but simply stood on the road outside to take pictures.

Thank you for the great essays, I am learning lots about life.

Hope my comments help.

Oh well!
"There is culture, there is language.
One day, there will be common understanding.
With that, comes empathy and compassion"
~DL
(#404 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

10-10-2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Hi,Columbine!
Thank you for correcting my English!

I meant me and the class.(Four from the class)
What should I have written?
What Koir said is right. It wasn't wrong exactly, I just wanted to check you meant you, her AND some others, because if it was just you and her, it might have been worth re-phrasing it. But it's correct to use 'we' in this case, so I'd go with Koir's revision: "We were sad to say goodbye, so we took many pictures with her just before she left us"

Sorry that I confused you ._.; my British English is a little different to Canadian English. Hee~ ^.^; I'll let you guys get back to it and stop causing trouble now.
(#405 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

10-11-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koir View Post
Okay. Was just making sure.

Revision:

"We were sad to say goodbye, so we took many pictures with her just before she left us."
Koir, thanks.
That's what I wanted to say.
I should not have written "on the road".
Your revision is very simple and clear.
Thanks as always.

Hello, I may not understand English very well and I may lack words but I will try to understand you.

I YamaP
(#406 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

10-11-2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougLewis View Post
"We took pictures after the farewell party on the road."

I do know what you mean. However, to convey more clarity you may want to expand slightly on the scenario.

An example might be:

"After the farewell party, we took many pictures (of scenery?) (each other?) as we traveled along the road back to (place?) from (place).

This makes the assumption that you traveled and took photographs.
Hi, DougLewis. Thank you.

“After the fare well party, we took many pictures with her as we traveled along the road back to the station from the restaurant where we held the party.”

I’m not sure if “we traveled along the road back” is suitable in this sentence because the restaurant was not that far from the station where we took trains.
Anyway, I should have written that we held the party in a restaurant near Kawasaki Station. Most Japanese people hold farewell parties in restaurants, not at their houses, and I forgot to mention it.

Quote:
Thank you for the great essays, I am learning lots about life.

Hope my comments help
Thank you for reading my essays.
Thank you for your help, DougLewis!

I YamaP
(#407 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

10-11-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
Sorry that I confused you ._.; my British English is a little different to Canadian English. Hee~ ^.^; I'll let you guys get back to it and stop causing trouble now.
English is the language of England, and you live in England, don't you?
How different is your British English from Canadian English?

I YamaP
(#408 (permalink))
Old
ColinHowell (Offline)
JF Regular

10-12-2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:
English is the language of England, and you live in England, don't you?
How different is your British English from Canadian English?
Well, English started in England, but over the last few hundred years, it has spread to North America, Australia, India, and lots of other places. Being so widespread for so long, it has had time to evolve into a whole bunch of different variants and dialects.

The most important difference is between British and American English; that has led to an old joke that Britain and America are two countries separated by a common language. Canadian English has some elements of both forms; I'm not sure whether it's closer to American English or to British English.

Not counting pronunciation differences, which don't show up in writing, there are also some big differences in vocabulary and spelling and even some grammar differences. Two simple examples of vocabulary differences: elevator (American) vs. lift (British), or flashlight (American) vs. torch (British). Usually it's easy for Americans and British to understand each other, but sometimes differences cause confusion.

To get a sense of just how many differences there are, take a look at the English Wikipedia article American and British English differences. It's a huge article, and it gets very technical in places, but just skimming through it will give you a feeling for how much variation there is.
(#409 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

10-12-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinHowell View Post
Well, English started in England, but over the last few hundred years, it has spread to North America, Australia, India, and lots of other places. Being so widespread for so long, it has had time to evolve into a whole bunch of different variants and dialects.

To get a sense of just how many differences there are, take a look at the English Wikipedia article American and British English differences. It's a huge article, and it gets very technical in places, but just skimming through it will give you a feeling for how much variation there is.
Thank you for the in-depth explanation, ColinHowell!
I didn’t know there are some grammar differences.
I will read the article. Thank you very much.

I YamaP
(#410 (permalink))
Old
duo797 (Offline)
異議あり!

Send a message via AIM to duo797
10-12-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinHowell View Post
Not counting pronunciation differences, which don't show up in writing, there are also some big differences in vocabulary and spelling and even some grammar differences. Two simple examples of vocabulary differences: elevator (American) vs. lift (British), or flashlight (American) vs. torch (British). Usually it's easy for Americans and British to understand each other, but sometimes differences cause confusion.
Just for extra emphasis, the same words can be used to mean different things between america and england. I wasn't aware that torch was the british 'flashlight', but if you mention a torch to someone in america they would picture something more like the olympic torch. Also, I've heard that a napkin means something very different to a british person when compared to an american person.