LinkBack Thread Tools
(#481 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-13-2009, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koir View Post
Sounds like quite a challenging person to understand, Yuri. Your post is also interesting in how it shows there are misunderstandings even with people supposedly speaking the same language. I have the same problems trying to understand British television programs. They are speaking English of course, but the cadence and speed along with possible slang terms makes it all but impossible for me to understand and enjoy the program.
Hi. Koir, thanks as always.
Do Canadian TV stations broadcast British TV programs? Or, you watch them on the internet?

Quote:
As for the post itself, the majority of revisions had to do with changing or inserting prepositions to clarify what concepts are being explained in a sentence. Some revisions were changes in wording, the most notable being "diffidence" changed to "with some hesitation". I made this revision with the understanding that "diffidence" can mean performing some actions (in this case asking the woman a question) when you are not sure the action is correct in the first place. "With some hesitation" was used in its place in an effort to retain the same basic meaning with simpler wording.

Good work, Yuri!
English prepositions and articles are difficult to me. I may make mistakes in the future.
Could you kindly continue to help me?

I didn’t know “with some hesitation”. Japanese-English dictionary tend to say with “not simple wording”. “With some hesitation” must be much useful than “diffidence”. Thanks!

Quote:
I was in a crisis! “Itai” means “have a pain”, but I didn’t know what “e” was. I thought it must have been a part of a human body I didn't know about.
“I should have studied harder!” I regretted my misunderstanding because I had earlier mistook “nose bleeding” for “a small amount of bleeding” during a phone call from a paramedic.
I’m not sure “I regretted my misunderstanding” is what I want to say.
‘ “I should have studied harder!” in my mind I regretted that I neglected my studies because I had made a mistake just before that.’ Do you understand what I want to say?
I didn’t think it was my misunderstanding at the moment. I think I didn’t know “e” because I neglected my studies.
Can “misunderstanding” mean “darkness”?

Quote:
Afterwards, I found ot the senior nurse was famous for her dialect. Many people had problems understanding what she would say. This made me wonder how possible it was that she was unaware of her dialect and how it confused people,
“Ot” must be some other word, but I don’t know what it should be.

Thank you!

Hello, I may not understand English very well and I may lack words but I will try to understand you.

If you have questions about my post or Japanese customs, don't hesitate to ask.

I YamaP
(#482 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

11-13-2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuriTokoro View Post
Hi. Koir, thanks as always.
Do Canadian TV stations broadcast British TV programs? Or, you watch them on the internet?
I watch them on regular television. The program I was thinking of was a science fiction series named "Stormworld". I can't understand what they're saying, partially because of the British way of speaking and the very bad audio the program uses.

As a contrast, I've been watching Sherlock Holmes episodes on Public Broadcasting and I have no trouble understanding what is being said. Interesting, since the English used by the characters is an old, formal way of speaking. The audio is well done, so that may play a part in it as well.

Quote:
English prepositions and articles are difficult to me. I may make mistakes in the future.
Could you kindly continue to help me?
Of course, Yuri.

Quote:
I’m not sure “I regretted my misunderstanding” is what I want to say.
‘ “I should have studied harder!” in my mind I regretted that I neglected my studies because I had made a mistake just before that.’ Do you understand what I want to say?
I didn’t think it was my misunderstanding at the moment. I think I didn’t know “e” because I neglected my studies.
Can “misunderstanding” mean “darkness”?
Ah. Perhaps "misunderstanding" in this case should be replaced with "lack of knowledge". That way, it would better fit the concept you're communicating in the sentence.

Revision:

"I regretted my lack of knowledge since earlier I had mistook “nose bleeding” for “a small amount of bleeding” during a phone call from a paramedic.

Quote:
“Ot” must be some other word, but I don’t know what it should be.

Thank you!
*embarassed chuckle* It's supposed to be "out". I misspelled it while typing, seems I still need to practice more with this laptop keyboard

Hope that helps, Yuri!

Fortunately, there is one woman in this world who can control me.

Unfortunately for you, she is not here.

"Ride for ruin, and the world ended!"

Last edited by Koir : 11-13-2009 at 03:45 PM.
(#483 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

11-14-2009, 04:48 AM

Quote:
I watch them on regular television. The program I was thinking of was a science fiction series named "Stormworld". I can't understand what they're saying, partially because of the British way of speaking and the very bad audio the program uses.

As a contrast, I've been watching Sherlock Holmes episodes on Public Broadcasting and I have no trouble understanding what is being said. Interesting, since the English used by the characters is an old, formal way of speaking. The audio is well done, so that may play a part in it as well.
Hi.
That's interesting. You are able to watch them on regular television, and still sometimes you don't understand what they are saying.
Learning casual English expressions seems to be too difficult to Japanese. There seems to be too many ways which are differ from region to region

A Japanese TV station has broadcasted Sherlock Holmes episodes in an English studying program. That program’s English must be relatively easy to understand.

Quote:
Ah. Perhaps "misunderstanding" in this case should be replaced with "lack of knowledge". That way, it would better fit the concept you're communicating in the sentence.

Revision:

"I regretted my lack of knowledge since earlier I had mistook “nose bleeding” for “a small amount of bleeding” during a phone call from a paramedic.

Hope that helps, Yuri!
Thanks for your help, Koir!

Hello, I may not understand English very well and I may lack words but I will try to understand you.

I YamaP
(#484 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

11-22-2009, 06:25 AM

Hi.
Could you correct my English?

"A University Entrance Examination"

I think many of your schools start in September every year, while Japanese schools start in April.
The Japanese school system is six years of elementally school, three years of junior high school, three years of high school, two or four years of university.
Many foreign countries seem to have many options to finish schools, while we only have the 3-3-6 system in Japan.
Just after I graduated high school, I entered a pharmaceutical school. You would enter a university first, and after finishing it, you would enter a professional school in your country, right? You can take time to decide your profession and that seems to be very convenient.
However, you need to decide until 17 years old whether to become a doctor, a pharmacist or a layer, or not in Japan. I had an entrance examination for the pharmaceutical school when I was 17. The school was one department of a university, and they teach about both medicines and many other things your universities would teach you.
When I worked as a pharmacist, one of the office women said to me, “You decided to become a pharmacist when you were 15 or 16 years old, didn’t you?”
She was right. I decided it when I was 16 and started preparing for the exam. Japanese universities and professional schools are hard to enter, and many of them are easy to graduate.
She said, “I can’t believe that! I didn’t imagine anything about my future when I was 16! I wish I did. If I have done that, I can get a better job and salary!”
How old were you when you decided your occupation?

By the way, this is when I had the entrance exam. I didn’t know one English word in the English examination. The word was “pub”.
I have been to some pubs in Ireland now, but normal Japanese 17 year students don’t know what “pub” is! What do you think?

Thank you!

Education in Japan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I YamaP
(#485 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

11-22-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Hi.

"A University Entrance Examination"

I think many of your schools start in September every year, while Japanese schools start in April.
The Japanese school system is six years of elementary school, three years of junior high school, three years of high school, then two or four years of university.
Many foreign countries seem to have many options to finish schools, while we only have the 6-3-3 system in Japan.
Just after I graduated high school, I entered a pharmaceutical school. Normally, you would complete university training then enroll in a professional school in your country, right? You can take time to decide your profession which seems very convenient.
However, students in Japan need to decide before they're seventeen whether to become a doctor, pharmacist, lawyer, or another profession. I took an entrance examination for pharmaceutical school when I was seventeen. The school was one department of a university where they taught medicine and other fields of study typical for Western universities.
When I worked as a pharmacist, one of the office women said to me, “You decided to become a pharmacist when you were 15 or 16 years old, didn’t you?”
She was right. I decided when I was 16 and started preparing for the exam. Japanese universities and professional schools are hard to enter, but many of them are easy to graduate.
She said, “I can’t believe that! I didn’t imagine anything about my future when I was 16! I wish I did. If I have done that, I could have gotten a better job and salary!”
How old were you when you decided your occupation?

By the way, this is when I had the entrance exam. I didn’t know a certain English word in the English examination. The word was “pub”.
I have been to some pubs in Ireland now, but normal Japanese 17 year students don’t know what “pub” is! What do you think?

Thank you!

Education in Japan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Mostly compositional revisions this time, Yuri. Specifically, the sentence that explains the different lengths of time spent in each section of elementary/high school. Also, I changed the numerical breakdown from 3-3-6 to 6-3-3 to better reflect the listing of years in the previous sentence. The numerical form was kept the same as it could be though of as a complete noun and not a collection of numbers as a list.

In the listings of professions (doctor, pharmacist, lawyer) I removed the indefinite article "a" from each. Usually repetition of the same article isn't strictly necessary if the nouns are singular. This makes the passage easier to read and communicates the information so the reader can remember it easier.

Finally, in the conversation with the office woman, I changed "can get" to "could have gotten". The situation she describes (knowing earlier in life what she wanted to do as a profession) did not happen, so it is hypothetical. It did not happen, so any reference to it must be described as a possible action that was not performed.

The word "pub" in the English examination was probably there as an additional test for the students. Not of how well they knew the material taught in the classes themselves, but a test of how much the students knew about the subject *outside* of the curriculum. College/university tests like putting in things like that to test knowledge and reading skill.

Last edited by Koir : 11-23-2009 at 03:00 AM.
(#486 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

11-23-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Mostly compositional revisions this time, Yuri. Specifically, the sentence that explains the different lengths of time spent in each section of elementary/high school. Also, I changed the numerical breakdown from 3-3-6 to 6-3-3 to better reflect the listing of years in the previous sentence. The numerical form was kept the same as it could be though of as a complete noun and not a collection of numbers as a list.
Hi, Koir. Thanks!
That’s my mistake.
I should have written 6-3-3. I’m sorry!

Quote:
In the listings of professions (doctor, pharmacist, lawyer) I removed the indefinite article "a" from each. Usually repetition of the same article isn't strictly necessary if the nouns are singular. This makes the passage easier to read and communicates the information so the reader can remember it easier.
It’s very difficult to use “a” and “the”. I seem to have more to learn.

Quote:
Finally, in the conversation with the office woman, I changed "can get" to "could have gotten". The situation she describes (knowing earlier in life what she wanted to do as a profession) did not happen, so it is hypothetical. It did not happen, so any reference to it must be described as a possible action that was not performed.
I should have known that….When I was a student, the teachers must taught that, but still I haven’t learn.

Quote:
The word "pub" in the English examination was probably there as an additional test for the students. Not of how well they knew the material taught in the classes themselves, but a test of how much the students knew about the subject *outside* of the curriculum. College/university tests like putting in things like that to test knowledge and reading skill.
I feel ashamed that I don’t write or speak English properly after graduating from university.
Koir, thanks again.

I YamaP
(#487 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

11-23-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
I feel ashamed that I don’t write or speak English properly after graduating from university.
Koir, thanks again.
Don't feel ashamed, Yuri. You are here, willing and able to learn. Continue your efforts, and I'm sure your skill in the English language will increase to the point that you may be teaching others.

I believe in that day.

(#488 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

11-28-2009, 01:39 PM

Hi.

“A villa of Mito Kohmon”

Mito kohmon’s real name was Tokugawa Mitsukuni (July 11, 1628 - January 14, 1701). He was one of territorial loads in Edo era, and is very famous due to many TV dramas entitled “Mito Kohmon”. Almost all Japanese knows his name.
I went on a trip to Ibaraki prefecture and saw his villa last Sunday. He lived there after his retirement and started writing a history book. The villa has a large beautiful garden and many visitors today.

When I was a kid, children were always joking about Kohmon because the word has the same pronunciation as “school gate” and “anus”. Kids must be making this broad corny joke even now.

Thank you.

Tokugawa Mitsukuni - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
YouTube - 水戸黄門 (主題歌) -♪ ああ人生に涙あり
YouTube - 水戸黄門・馬にまで馬鹿にされた代官

I YamaP
(#489 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

11-28-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Hi.

“A villa of Mito Kohmon”

Mito Kohmon’s real name was Tokugawa Mitsukuni (July 11, 1628 - January 14, 1701). He was a famous territory lord during the Edo era, and many TV dramas have been made using the “Mito Kohmon” name. As a result, almost all Japanese know about him.
I went on a trip to Ibaraki prefecture and saw his villa last Sunday. He lived there after he retired, and eventually wrote a history book. The villa has a large, beautiful garden and receives many visitors each year.

When I was a kid, children were always joking about Kohmon because the word has the same pronunciation as “school gate” and “anus”. Kids must still make this corny joke even now.

Thank you.

Tokugawa Mitsukuni - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
YouTube - 水戸黄門 (主題歌) -♪ ああ人生に涙あり
YouTube - 水戸黄門・馬にまで馬鹿にされた代官
Interesting person you describe, Yuri. Sort of unfortunate that his well-known name has such differing and somewhat unflattering meanings, but English is the same way with "Richard" changing to "Dick".

Most of the revisions were done to shorten sentence parts to one descriptive word (specifically, the fact the individual was famous and many TV dramas were made about his life) or phrase.

Revisions such as these would not be possible without adequate information, which you have provided in the post. Very good work, Yuri, and I hope the trip to the temple was enjoyable and memorable!

Last edited by Koir : 11-28-2009 at 05:17 PM.
(#490 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

11-29-2009, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Interesting person you describe, Yuri. Sort of unfortunate that his well-known name has such differing and somewhat unflattering meanings, but English is the same way with "Richard" changing to "Dick".
Koir, thanks!

Do people call "Richard" "Dick"? I see. I just saw a dictionary. I didn't know "dick" has that meaning.
I've heard that "William" is called "Bill". Is this right?
Many English names have nicknames?
I would understand if "Richard" became "Rich" or "William" became "Will", but why "Dick" and "Bill"?

Quote:
Revisions such as these would not be possible without adequate information, which you have provided in the post. Very good work, Yuri, and I hope the trip to the temple was enjoyable and memorable!
It was very fine. ( I mean it wasn't downpour this time. )
I enjoyed walking the beautiful garden. Thanks, Koir!

I YamaP