JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#491 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

11-29-2009, 05:24 AM

突然ですが、ここのメインの添削者君、仕事が下手です ね。私は小中高とほとんど全期間アメリカに住み現地の 普通の学校に通っていましたが、こんなに添削の下手な 先生はいませんでした。

ほとんどの添削が単語レベルですし、どこをどう直した のかを、カラーなりを使用して一目瞭然にしていないの は非常識です。英語の特性を説明しているのも見た事が ありません。(多分知らないと思います。)作文の構成 上の過ちに関する指摘も皆無のようです。これではYuriTo koroさんにとって相当に不親切な添削手法ではないでし うか。失礼ですが、本来は土木工事が必要な貴女の英 添削をピンセット一本で行なっています。

また、不思議なのは、毎回YuriTokoroさんがお礼をカキコ れる時、そのポストの中でかなり多くの間違いがみら ますが、この方はそれを完全に無視しますね。作文の でなく、むしろ何気なく書いた文を添削したほうが効 があるのですが。

この方が最近別のスレッドで日本文化をなめ切ったよう なローマ字擁護論を展開したのをご存知でしたか?これ こそがご本人の正体だと思います。精神構造が言語に向 いていません。英語だけ知っていれば英語を教えられる と勘違いしているアマちゃんです。
(#492 (permalink))
Old
Klint (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-29-2009, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuriTokoro View Post
Do people call "Richard" "Dick"? I see. I just saw a dictionary. I didn't know "dick" has that meaning.
I've heard that "William" is called "Bill". Is this right?
Many English names have nicknames?
I would understand if "Richard" became "Rich" or "William" became "Will", but why "Dick" and "Bill"?
(Sorry if you have already explained this in your post, masaegu.)

Well, in 1066 when the Normans invaded England, it had an impact on the English language as well as English names. Because they were uncomfortable with the pronounciation of "R" in some names like Richard, Roger and Robert. So, over time new names were formed through the alternate spelling and pronounciations of old ones.

I believe it's also used as a tool for teaching toddlers who can't grasp some pronounciations such as "R" or "W" by changing them to ones that could be spoken more easily. Richard -> Rick -> Dick. William -> Will -> Bill.

"Wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?"

Last edited by Klint : 11-29-2009 at 05:57 AM.
(#493 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-29-2009, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klint View Post

I believe it's also used as a tool for teaching toddlers who can't grasp some pronounciations such as "R" or "W" by changing them to ones that could be spoken more easily. Richard -> Rick -> Dick. William -> Will -> Bill.
I'll quickly add that nowadays you hardly ever hear someone being called 'Dick' and 'Bill'; it's too old-fashioned. Also, 'Bill' can be a name by itself, but 'Dick' is always a nick-name.

Anyway, today Richard tends to be shortened to just 'Rich', and William tends to be shortened to 'Will'.

Also Masaegu, while it's not really my place to speak up and I apologize if I've misread your post, I can't help but feel that if you want to voice a comment like that it would be more polite to PM Yuritokoro with your concerns directly, rather than leave messages like that in public; particularly when the parties involved might not understand your post.
(#494 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

11-29-2009, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
Also Masaegu, while it's not really my place to speak up and I apologize if I've misread your post, I can't help but feel that if you want to voice a comment like that it would be more polite to PM Yuritokoro with your concerns directly, rather than leave messages like that in public; particularly when the parties involved might not understand your post.
This is disturbing to hear.

Fortunately, there is one woman in this world who can control me.

Unfortunately for you, she is not here.

"Ride for ruin, and the world ended!"
(#495 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

11-29-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koir View Post
This is disturbing to hear.
It's addressed to Yuri, so probably best to let her answer it first, this being her thread and all. I'm not going to add anything more on the topic in-thread as it wouldn't be appropriate, but PM me if you like.
(#496 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

11-30-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
It's addressed to Yuri, so probably best to let her answer it first, this being her thread and all. I'm not going to add anything more on the topic in-thread as it wouldn't be appropriate, but PM me if you like.
Hi.
Let me take some time to write something.

Hello, I may not understand English very well and I may lack words but I will try to understand you.

If you have questions about my post or Japanese customs, don't hesitate to ask.

I YamaP
(#497 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

11-30-2009, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuriTokoro View Post
Hi.
Let me take some time to write something.
Of course. I'm sorry I commented now; I hope I haven't made things more awkward for you Yuri.
(#498 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

12-01-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masaegu View Post
突然ですが、ここのメインの添削者君、仕事が下手です ね。私は小中高とほとんど全期間アメリカに住み現地の 普通の学校に通っていましたが、こんなに添削の下手な 先生はいませんでした
こんばんは。ご指摘ありがとうございました。それから 、わたしの下手な英語をお読みくださってありがとうご ざいます。
Koirに関してですが、彼は先生ではありませんし、ここ 学校ではないので、ここではお互いにやることが下手 も、楽しくやっていければいいかなと思うのですが。
わたしの下手な英語がお目障りでしたら、申し訳ない! です。
わたしは以前NOVAに通っていまして、そこで一時間6000円 ど払って添削をしてもらったことがありますが、基本 にKoirがしてくれていることと同じだったように思いま す。彼の添削がそんなにひどいとは、決して思っていな いのですが。

Quote:
ほとんどの添削が単語レベルですし、どこをどう直した のかを、カラーなりを使用して一目瞭然にしていないの は非常識です。英語の特性を説明しているのも見た事が ありません。(多分知らないと思います。)作文の構成 上の過ちに関する指摘も皆無のようです。これではYuriTo koroさんにとって相当に不親切な添削手法ではないでし うか。失礼ですが、本来は土木工事が必要な貴女の英 添削をピンセット一本で行なっています。
多分、わたしの英語があまりにひどいので、そこまでレ ベルの高いことを指摘しても、まだ無理だと彼は思って いらっしゃるのではないでしょうか。

Quote:
また、不思議なのは、毎回YuriTokoroさんがお礼をカキコ れる時、そのポストの中でかなり多くの間違いがみら ますが、この方はそれを完全に無視しますね。作文の でなく、むしろ何気なく書いた文を添削したほうが効 があるのですが。
これまた多分ですが、わたしが直してほしいと頼んだも の以外を直したら、わたしがうるさく思うんじゃないか と気を遣ってくださっていると思います。

Quote:
この方が最近別のスレッドで日本文化をなめ切ったよう なローマ字擁護論を展開したのをご存知でしたか?これ こそがご本人の正体だと思います。精神構造が言語に向 いていません。英語だけ知っていれば英語を教えられる と勘違いしているアマちゃんです。
英語ネイティブの日本語学習者は、ほとんどの方が、「 ローマ字でいいじゃん」と思うだろうと私は思っていま して。それはご本人がどこまでのレベルの日本語を目指 すかの問題ですので、ローマ字ででも、とりあえず日本 語で書けて、日本人とコミュニケーションがとれればそ れで楽しいからオッケー、という考え方も、ありだと思 います。ここは単位を取らなければならないような学校 ではありませんし…
ただ、もちろん、わたし個人としては、ローマ字で書か れた日本語は読みたくないですねえ。実際、読めません よね、ローマ字で書かれた日本語って。でも、英語ネイ ティブの誰かが日本語をちょっとでも勉強しようと思っ てくれたのだったら、その人が日本の文化をまだあまり 知らなくても、日本語がどれだけ英語と違っているか気 づいていなくても、最初の一歩を踏み出してくれただけ で、日本人としてありがたいことだと思います。わたし はそういう人をアマちゃんだとは思いません。しかもKoi rは毎回わたしの下手な英語につきあってくれていて、 たしとしては大変に感謝しているんです。わたしの英 に、遠いカナダから返事がある、それはすごいことだ 思いませんか。

わたしがあまりにもいつまでも上達しないことを心配し てくださり、ありがとうございます。もしよろしければ 、その「英語の特性」というものがどういったものか、 教えていただけるとありがたいのですが。

Hello, I may not understand English very well and I may lack words but I will try to understand you.

I YamaP
(#499 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

12-01-2009, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klint View Post
Well, in 1066 when the Normans invaded England, it had an impact on the English language as well as English names. Because they were uncomfortable with the pronounciation of "R" in some names like Richard, Roger and Robert. So, over time new names were formed through the alternate spelling and pronounciations of old ones.

Klint, thank you for your answer.
That solves the mystery.
Now, tell me this, please.
“Elizabeth”, “Eliza” and “Lizzy” can be the same person?
I’m reading an old novel. The three names seem to mean one person.
Is this right?

I YamaP
(#500 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

12-01-2009, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Of course. I'm sorry I commented now; I hope I haven't made things more awkward for you Yuri.
Columbine, thank you for caring.

I think I should have written the answer post in English in order to be read by the parties involved, but I can’t express what I mean in English properly, so I have wrote it in Japanese.
Anyway, I know you read Japanese, and I will send PM to Koir.

Thank you again!

I YamaP