Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

03-13-2010, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuriTokoro View Post
That’s cool!
What do you bake?

I’m sorry. I can’t imagine any steamed cake in England. I only think of Japanese manjyuu…
Sorry, I missed this post and so I couldn't reply until now. :/

I like to bake simple cakes- ginger cake or brownies are popular in my house, and tea bread.

Traditional christmas pudding is usually boiled. It looks like this: http://www.swanvalley.com.au/NR/rdon...lumPudding.JPG
It's round because you have to cook it in a bowl or a bag and even though it looks very firm, it's actually crumbly inside like cake.
(#602 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

03-14-2010, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koir View Post
The sentence is correct. If you don't mind me asking, is that your situation?
Actually, no. I dance only three days a week.

Quote:
That is correct in situations where your location is important to the discussion (such as where to vote, or in competitions with other prefectures). In other situations, referring to yourself as a resident of the country (Japanese) is correct.
If I lived in Tokyo, what can I say? “Tokyon”? What about “Hokkaidoh”?

Quote:
I phrased it that way to make it identical to the previous revision explanation. In that case, the preconception was incorrect and you gained knowledge. Believing that young Okinawan people have the same preference in music as young Japanese people was the preconception you had, and it was proven correct.
My preconception was that young Okinawan people didn’t have the same preference in music as young Japanese people. I had believed that Okinawan people would like singing old Okinawan music which was never hit songs.
It turned out that Okinawan people like singing new popular music which is not Okinawan tune.

Quote:
Probably, as it can show that songs from a music genre that is mostly unpopular right now can become hit songs that young people will listen to. The subtext being that young people who do like these hit folk songs may investigate further and find they like other folk songs that don't become hits in popular music.
When I say folk songs, I mean old music and they are never hit songs.
I haven’t been able to imagine you would say “these hit folk songs”. These words are beyond my imagination. When we say “minyou”, we mean they are very old.
I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have written “folk songs”. That should have been “minyou”. I have made confusions.
I should have explained what “old Okinawan minyou” and “relative new Okinawan songs” were before the last post.

Quote:
Describing it that way may reduce confusion for readers unfamiliar with the term "folk songs", so it's a good idea.
Yes. My lack of explanation has made this confusion.

Quote:
Absolutely. You travelled there, so it's natural to think you'd remember exact street names and the story behind them.
Koir, thanks as always.

I think I need to rewrite “Trip to Okinawa last week”. I should consider well that you don’t know Japanese or Okinawan folk songs.

Hello, I may not understand English very well and I may lack words but I will try to understand you.

If you have questions about my post or Japanese customs, don't hesitate to ask.

I YamaP
(#603 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

03-14-2010, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
Sorry, I missed this post and so I couldn't reply until now. :/
Hi, Columbine. Thank you for your replying.

Quote:
I like to bake simple cakes- ginger cake or brownies are popular in my house, and tea bread.
I think I’ve never eaten ginger cake, brownies or tea bread. Does tea bread have tea leafs in it?

Quote:
Traditional christmas pudding is usually boiled. It looks like this: http://www.swanvalley.com.au/NR/rdon...lumPudding.JPG
It's round because you have to cook it in a bowl or a bag and even though it looks very firm, it's actually crumbly inside like cake.
That seems to be delicious!
When you say “pudding”, do you mean it’s boiled?
When you say “cake”, do you mean it’s baked?

Hello, I may not understand English very well and I may lack words but I will try to understand you.

I YamaP
(#604 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

03-14-2010, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Actually, no. I dance only three days a week.
*chuckles* I had to ask, or my subconscious would keep asking...

Quote:
If I lived in Tokyo, what can I say? “Tokyon”? What about “Hokkaidoh”?
I believe it would be "Tokyoite", but I don't think it's used much. As for what a resident of Hokkaido would be called, I have no idea.

Quote:
My preconception was that young Okinawan people didn’t have the same preference in music as young Japanese people. I had believed that Okinawan people would like singing old Okinawan music which was never hit songs.
It turned out that Okinawan people like singing new popular music which is not Okinawan tune.
Oh okay, Yuri. I seemed to have combined several preconceptions with your conclusion and thought it was just the preconception itself.

Quote:
When I say folk songs, I mean old music and they are never hit songs.
I haven’t been able to imagine you would say “these hit folk songs”. These words are beyond my imagination. When we say “minyou”, we mean they are very old.
I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have written “folk songs”. That should have been “minyou”. I have made confusions.
I should have explained what “old Okinawan minyou” and “relative new Okinawan songs” were before the last post.
Quite alright, Yuri. To be honest, that revision was made with the hope that old folk songs (or "minyou") could become popular in this modern, artificial music scene. Vocaloids...pfft.

Quote:
I think I need to rewrite “Trip to Okinawa last week”. I should consider well that you don’t know Japanese or Okinawan folk songs.
I'm truly sorry for the problems I caused, Yuri. On the positive side, "Haisai Ojisan" has effectively burrowed into my mind in such a way I still hear it now

Fortunately, there is one woman in this world who can control me.

Unfortunately for you, she is not here.

"Ride for ruin, and the world ended!"
(#605 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

03-19-2010, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Oh okay, Yuri. I seemed to have combined several preconceptions with your conclusion and thought it was just the preconception itself.

Quite alright, Yuri. To be honest, that revision was made with the hope that old folk songs (or "minyou") could become popular in this modern, artificial music scene. Vocaloids...pfft.

I'm truly sorry for the problems I caused, Yuri. On the positive side, "Haisai Ojisan" has effectively burrowed into my mind in such a way I still hear it now
Hi, Koir.
You didn’t cause any problems at all. It’s my fault. I should have considered that you don’t know what minyou is. In addition, I should not have written the word “folk songs” meaning minyou.
The cause of the failure must be that I have written the composition just like I say to Japanese people. I will describe Japanese words and situations before I make remarks or express my feelings.

If you like Haisai Ojisan, I’m very happy.
Koir, thanks!!

I YamaP
(#606 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

Urgent! - 03-28-2010, 02:01 PM

I’m making a jacket of a CD.
I need an English title for it.
This CD has songs which are cover versions by a singer.
Please tell me what correct title (as English) is.
Which is correct?
(If the singer’s name was Yuri
1. Yuri cover song collection
2. Yuri cover songs collection
3. Yuri’s cover song collection

Do you have any other better titles?

Thank you!!

I YamaP
(#607 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

03-28-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
I’m making a jacket of a CD.
I need an English title for it.
This CD has songs which are cover versions by a singer.
Please tell me what correct title (as English) is.
Which is correct?
(If the singer’s name was Yuri
1. Yuri cover song collection
2. Yuri cover songs collection
3. Yuri’s cover song collection

Do you have any other better titles?

Thank you!!
Out of those three, I would pick the third (Yuri's Cover Song Collection). As for alternate titles it would depend on the general theme of the songs being covered: love songs, children's songs, etc.

(#608 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

03-28-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Out of those three, I would pick the third (Yuri's Cover Song Collection). As for alternate titles it would depend on the general theme of the songs being covered: love songs, children's songs, etc.
Koir!!
Thanks!!
You always help me!
Thanks a lot! Thanks. Really!

I YamaP
(#609 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

03-28-2010, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Koir!!
Thanks!!
You always help me!
Thanks a lot! Thanks. Really!
Glad to be of help, Yuri.

(#610 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

03-28-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Hi, Columbine. Thank you for your replying.

I think I’ve never eaten ginger cake, brownies or tea bread. Does tea bread have tea leafs in it?

That seems to be delicious!
When you say “pudding”, do you mean it’s boiled?
When you say “cake”, do you mean it’s baked?
Yes, tea bread is made with a cup of black tea in it. I also soak the raisins in tea. I've made a green tea cake too- I used macha powder instead of liquid tea, and candied aduki beans instead of raisins.

Mmm, I think that's right. Maybe it's 'puddings' that are boiled or steamed, and cake is baked. But it's confusing because different areas have different ideas about what 'pudding' is. Compared to American 'pudding', which is like purin, English pudding is very much more like cake.