LinkBack Thread Tools
(#911 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-01-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamboP26 View Post
We seem to have a lot of Polish and eastern European immigrants coming into the country for work. The differences between the cultures are few, but the was a problem with this Lithuanian gang, who faked charity leaflets, to collect clothes. They'd then sell on the clothes or something and make a bit of money out of it. But it is a minority group. I'd say, because Japan's culture is SO different, it is perhaps easier to spot when people are acting as they would in their homeland.
Yes, Japanese culture may be different from others.
Our culture is, dare I say it, “Apologize, first”.
I think we seem to apologize all the time. We apologize even if we are not wrong. When we see foreign people refusing to apologize, we can’t help thinking they are rude or selfish.

Hello, I may not understand English very well and I may lack words but I will try to understand you.

If you have questions about my post or Japanese customs, don't hesitate to ask.

I YamaP
(#912 (permalink))
Old
JamboP26 (Offline)
日本オタク

Send a message via MSN to JamboP26
10-01-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuriTokoro View Post
Yes, Japanese culture may be different from others.
Our culture is, dare I say it, “Apologize, first”.
I think we seem to apologize all the time. We apologize even if we are not wrong. When we see foreign people refusing to apologize, we can’t help thinking they are rude or selfish.
In the UK too, you get people who don't apologise when they are wrong. We don't say they are rude though, We tend to say they are 'obnoxious'. Although, in modern Scotland, you'll get people like that described using swear words. lol. That seems to be coming more and more into daily Scots-English language, even though it is still bad. Of course, Japan is famous for its multiple degree's of etiquette and respect, so the 'Apologise, first' culture, doesn't really surprise me.

As for dogsbody's “inTO/” post, I think that might be a typing error

I'm a Cafe-kko, Nyappy in the World. But GazeRock is not dead. 「Sixth Gun」です

An Cafe, Vidoll, Versailles, Dir En Grey, Deathgaze, the GazettE, alice nine., UVERworld, Kiryu , YUI, AKB48, Buono!, Berryz Koubou, C-ute, S/mileage, Morning Musume, Zoro, Lolita23Q, Visual Kei, Oshare Kei, J-Rock, J-Pop, Idol groups FTW (≧∀≦)

Last edited by JamboP26 : 10-01-2010 at 12:46 PM.
(#913 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

10-01-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
In the UK too, you get people who don't apologise when they are wrong. We don't say they are rude though, We tend to say they are 'obnoxious'. Although, in modern Scotland, you'll get people like that described using swear words. lol. That seems to be coming more and more into daily Scots-English language, even though it is still bad. Of course, Japan is famous for its multiple degree's of etiquette and respect, so the 'Apologise, first' culture, doesn't really surprise me.

HI jambo-- I do not think INTO is wrong. Perhaps moving TO a country is more correct but you can also move INTO a country. YURI wrote "IN" which was an error-- yes you could and can MOVE IN a country in other words you move around the country---------------I haven't looked up the original sentence but honestly it was NOT a typing error.

One can move INTO a new country or TO a new country I guess. One can move into a new area or a new house etc etc.
(#914 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

10-01-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
In the UK too, you get people who don't apologise when they are wrong. We don't say they are rude though, We tend to say they are 'obnoxious'. Although, in modern Scotland, you'll get people like that described using swear words. lol. That seems to be coming more and more into daily Scots-English language, even though it is still bad.
I’ve been to Edinburgh and stayed in a hotel on Princess Street.
It was really fun. The people were so good.
I ate at Mussel Inn. The food was too delicious!
I didn’t meet any obnoxious people there.

Quote:
Of course, Japan is famous for its multiple degree's of etiquette and respect, so the 'Apologise, first' culture, doesn't really surprise me.
I didn’t know it. That is very good to know. Thank you!

Quote:
Thanks! >^_^<

Hello, I may not understand English very well and I may lack words but I will try to understand you.

If you have questions about my post or Japanese customs, don't hesitate to ask.

I YamaP
(#915 (permalink))
Old
JamboP26 (Offline)
日本オタク

Send a message via MSN to JamboP26
10-01-2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
HI jambo-- I do not think INTO is wrong. Perhaps moving TO a country is more correct but you can also move INTO a country. YURI wrote "IN" which was an error-- yes you could and can MOVE IN a country in other words you move around the country---------------I haven't looked up the original sentence but honestly it was NOT a typing error.

One can move INTO a new country or TO a new country I guess. One can move into a new area or a new house etc etc.
Ah, yes. I guess your right, dogsbody. To be fair, it could've been clearer, but I see your point now. Forgive my 19-year old inability to fully read the whole situation.

Quote:
I’ve been to Edinburgh and stayed in a hotel on Princess Street.
It was really fun. The people were so good.
I ate at Mussel Inn. The food was too delicious!
I didn’t meet any obnoxious people there.

I didn’t know it. That is very good to know. Thank you!

Thanks! >^_^<
Yeah. Edinburgh is a really friendly city. I've got a lot of ex-classmates from school who have gone to university in Edinburgh, and are loving every minute of it.

No problem. It's interesting to find things out about your country from a foreign viewpoint. It really open your eyes to, perhaps, how a nation is perceived.

I think dogsbody has explained that he meant the phrase used should have been '...move to a foreign...'. As I said to him, it could have been clearer, but I see the point he's was trying to make now, and hope you do to.

I'm a Cafe-kko, Nyappy in the World. But GazeRock is not dead. 「Sixth Gun」です

An Cafe, Vidoll, Versailles, Dir En Grey, Deathgaze, the GazettE, alice nine., UVERworld, Kiryu , YUI, AKB48, Buono!, Berryz Koubou, C-ute, S/mileage, Morning Musume, Zoro, Lolita23Q, Visual Kei, Oshare Kei, J-Rock, J-Pop, Idol groups FTW (≧∀≦)
(#916 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

10-01-2010, 04:05 PM

HI Jambo I am an old woman married to man from Edinburgh.

we used to do scottish and highland dancing among other things. Scotland is beautiful. I lived in ALLOA for five years.

Really missed the mountains when I moved back down south and recommend Yuri to visit Scotland some time.( Ah I see she already has-) but it is the countryside that is special too I think) there are the mountains-- not as steep I think as some of those in Japan but the lochs etc are beautiful. I think there could be many similarities. Edinburgh Festival is so popular now around the world. Jambo consider I was born before WW2 so getting on a bit now, can't dance as I once did.

English was always my favourite subject and I read many books-- always have done. I also belong to a creative writing group.

Last edited by dogsbody70 : 10-01-2010 at 04:09 PM.
(#917 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

10-01-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
@dogsbody70

Thank you for correcting.

I don’t understand what you mean with “inTO/
What does the “/” mean?

Hello YURI---I have explained elsewhere about INTO.

I have moved into Japan or I have moved to Japan. I cannot remember the original sentence I'm afraid.
(#918 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

10-01-2010, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Hello YURI---I have explained elsewhere about INTO.

I have moved into Japan or I have moved to Japan. I cannot remember the original sentence I'm afraid.
No, I'm sorry Dogsbody, but this is wrong. It can only be 'TO' in this context.

You move TO a country if you're emigrating, because you make one move and then generally you don't intend to keep moving around. A business moves INTO Japan if it is their first venture there, particularly if they intend to expand, so they will move from one location to another, or expand into several.

In Yuri's sentence, "You might agree with me that you should observe the local rules when you move in a foreign country" the general 'you' is the main pronoun, so we've got it in the context of a single relocation, and we're talking about individuals or small family units, not a large business or an army. Hitler (and his army/politics) moved INTO poland. Tesco is moving INTO the Japanese market. But I simply moved TO Japan.
(#919 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

10-01-2010, 08:39 PM

ah well Columbine we wil have to agree to disagree. Okay?
(#920 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

10-01-2010, 09:53 PM

Quote:
ah well Columbine we wil have to agree to disagree. Okay?
It's not a matter of disagreeing or agreeing; it's grammar, and Yuri needs to know the correct forms. If you and I were talking, I wouldn't bother to correct your mistakes, because as a native you can get away with being messy with your words, but this thread is about helping Yuri improve her English, and that means paying attention to the little details, because otherwise it's really easy to get confused, especially with prepositions.

Please don't think I'm trying to put you down; i know Yuri really appreciates any and all input and I wouldn't ever directly contradict someone on something I was uncertain of, but i've specially double-checked this with others in case I was off the mark, so I have to insist that 'to' is the correct word in this case.

Last edited by Columbine : 10-01-2010 at 09:54 PM. Reason: x