JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Post Please help me to read this English sentence: - 08-17-2008, 05:45 AM

Thank you, this question has been answered.
If you'd like to help, please see my latest question at the end of the thread.

........................................................................... .......................

Hi, I'm Yuri from Japan.
I cant't understand this sentence:

"How does a belief in luck change the way a person reacts to good or bad fortune?"

What does "a belief in luck" mean?
Does it mean like "to believe that I'm happy" or "to believe that there are lucky people and unlucky people" ???
Anybody, help me, please.
Thank you!

Hello, I may not understand English very well and I may lack words but I will try to understand you.

If you have questions about my post or Japanese customs, don't hesitate to ask.

I YamaP

Last edited by YuriTokoro : 10-17-2009 at 11:54 AM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

04-26-2009, 02:50 AM

Hi!
Would you correct my English, please?

"When we start eating."

I’d like to know what you say when you start eating. We say “Itadakimasu”.
The direct translation is like “I’m eating.”, but it also means “Thank you” to Gods, the farmers, the fishermen, the cooker and the other people involved. (When you are a guest, you say the words mainly to the host.)
I can’t eat before saying “Itadakimasu”.
When I stayed with an American family, I had difficulty to start eating. I hadn’t heard what to say it in English, and I don’t know it still now. My Japanese-English dictionary doesn’t have the phrase.
When we finish eating, we say “Gochisousamadeshita”, which means, “Thank you for a wonderful meal”. (My dictionary says so.) Can I say it every time I finish eating? Wouldn’t I sound strange? What do you say?
Thank you!

Hello, I may not understand English very well and I may lack words but I will try to understand you.

I YamaP
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

04-26-2009, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuriTokoro View Post
Hi!
Would you correct my English, please?

"When we start eating."

I’d like to know what you say when you start eating. We say “Itadakimasu”.
The direct translation is the same as “I’m eating.”, but it also means “Thank you” to Gods, the farmers, the fishermen, the cook and the other people involved. (When you are a guest, you say the words mainly to the host.)
I can’t eat before saying “Itadakimasu”.
When I stayed with an American family, I had difficulty in how to start eating. I hadn’t heard what to say it in English, and I still don’t know. My Japanese-English dictionary doesn’t have the phrase.
When we finish eating, we say “Gochisousamadeshita”, which means, “Thank you for a wonderful meal”. (My dictionary says so.) Can I say it every time I finish eating? Would I sound strange? What do you say?
Thank you!
In Western society, there's only one pre-meal ritual I know that qualifies. It's entirely a religious ritual for those of the Christian faith. We thank God for bringing all the people at the table together to partake in fellowship, and ask that God bless the food to our body's use, ending in "amen". There isn't a end-meal ritual to my knowledge.

As for Western peoples' reactions to "itadakimasu" and "gochisousamadeshita", I would say those who are dining with you would be very understanding. And who knows, you may end up influencing their dining habits to follow you

Fortunately, there is one woman in this world who can control me.

Unfortunately for you, she is not here.

"Ride for ruin, and the world ended!"
(#4 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

04-26-2009, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koir View Post
In Western society, there's only one pre-meal ritual I know that qualifies. It's entirely a religious ritual for those of the Christian faith. We thank God for bringing all the people at the table together to partake in fellowship, and ask that God bless the food to our body's use, ending in "amen". There isn't a end-meal ritual to my knowledge.
Koir! Thanks a lot!
So you start eating without saying "amen" or something, right?

Quote:
As for Western peoples' reactions to "itadakimasu" and "gochisousamadeshita", I would say those who are dining with you would be very understanding. And who knows, you may end up influencing their dining habits to follow you  
You mean I can say them in Japanese?

I YamaP
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

04-26-2009, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuriTokoro View Post
Koir! Thanks a lot!
So you start eating without saying "amen" or something, right?
Right. Modern society is all rush, rush, rush...at least this time next week, I'll be back in the small hometown.

Quote:
You mean I can say them in Japanese?
I don't see why not. If anyone asks, you can tell them, and educate them that way.

Fortunately, there is one woman in this world who can control me.

Unfortunately for you, she is not here.

"Ride for ruin, and the world ended!"
(#6 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

04-26-2009, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koir View Post
Right. Modern society is all rush, rush, rush...at least this time next week, I'll be back in the small hometown.

I don't see why not. If anyone asks, you can tell them, and educate them that way.
Thanks, Koir!
I'll say them in Japanese.

I YamaP
(#7 (permalink))
Old
freel4ncer (Offline)
New to JF

04-26-2009, 03:34 PM

im not sure if they just say amen, but pretty sure there's a prayer which someone leads and then a moment of silence for praying, and then amen. if you just go itadakimasu and start eating right away, its going to be real awkward so i wouldnt recommend that. sit a bit and wait and see if they're gonna say anything, its usually best to wait for the host to start eating before you actually do (:

yuri san, im really sorry that i keep bothering you with my speech. this is the last and final bit of my oral presentation, will it be alright if you looked through it? my oral exam's next wednesday, so im getting quite nervouse about it. if there's anything i can help you out with, tell me! i'll be sure to do so (:

これからのプレゼンは最近の世界的な金融危機について です。今年日本経済のニュスがたくさんありますが、載 っているのはだいたい悪いニュスです。例えば、世界輸 出額の減少は過去最大とか、工業生産が下降していると か、失業率が増加していることを新聞に載っています。 金融株の総崩れは日本経済への影響が不可避と思います 。しかし、 政府は断固とした行動をまだ取りませんでした。日本経 済を改善するために最も重要なことは経済刺激計画を立 てることだと思います。そのため、税額控除を実施して 、ほかの補助金も注入すれば、民間投資も増えます。

経済の弱さ以外の問題は高齢化問題と政治の弱さがあり ます。その二つの問題を対処しなければいけません。な ぜなら、経済の定めへの影響は不可避です。問題をたい しょしなければ、将来日本経済の終焉は現実になるかも しれません。

日本とアジアの経済関係はとても重要なことだと思いま す。地域経済統合をできれば、日本に経済的な利益は手 に入れることができます。そうと言って、2000年か ら、2007年まで、日本の経済成長は中国への輸出に より援助されました。アジアで増える中産階級も日本の 輸出産業を援助するかもしれないので、地域経済統合は そのためをできれば、日本にとって経済成長のエンジン になると思います。更に、高齢化問題に取り組む1つの 法は外国人に対して移民を許可しておきます。地域経 統合は欧州連合のように外国人の移民を助長すると思 ます。

この危機には財政金融政策で対処するべきですが、財政 と金融政策を正しく使用しなければなりません。次の1 0年間の日本経済の成長で最も重要なことはアジアと地 域経済統を作ることだと考います。

Last edited by freel4ncer : 04-26-2009 at 09:25 PM.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

04-27-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freel4ncer View Post
これからのプレゼンは最近の世界的な金融危機について です。
How's your last post?
Whose 不始末 was it?

I YamaP
(#9 (permalink))
Old
freel4ncer (Offline)
New to JF

04-27-2009, 10:02 PM

oh, i took out that whole sentence and kept the one at the end of that paragraph,

1997年の財政金融政策が間違っていたと思います。 その時に日銀はゼロ金利政策を続くべきた方がいいと思 います。ゼロ金利政策を解除すると、デフレも防ぐこと ができなくて 、国内の投資も無くなってしまいました。当時、アジア の金融危機も起こっていましたから、そのと遅かったの 反応によって、日本の経済がさらに悪化させました。経済の弱さはバブルの不始末にありましたが、今日本には色々な問題が対しています。
(#10 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

04-28-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freel4ncer View Post
oh, i took out that whole sentence and kept the one at the end of that paragraph,

1997年の財政金融政策は間違っており、日銀はゼロ金利 策を続けるべきだったと思われます。ゼロ金利政策を 除したためデフレを防ぐことができず 、国内の投資が縮小してしまいました。当時、アジアの 金融危機も起こっていたため、政府の遅い反応およびバ ブルの不始末によって日本経済はさらに悪化し、今日本 には多様な問題が山積しています。
確認なんですが、不始末をしたのは、日本政府というこ とでいいでしょうか?
不始末、というのは、つまり失敗ということですので、 だれの失敗か書かないと、文章にならないので。

それから、日本語の原稿だけだと、意味がわからないと ころが多々あるので、もし英語の原稿があったら、それ もつけていただけるとより正しく文を直せると思うので すが。

I YamaP