Lizh (Offline)
New to JF

05-31-2009, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuriTokoro View Post
Hi.
Would you correct my English, please?

"Kaoru Kurimoto"

Kaoru Kurimoto, the author of Guin Saga I wrote about it in this blog on February 8th and April 10th, died on 26th.
It’s really shocking to me. I’ve been reading Guin Saga for many years, and the story hasn’t finished. (The latest volume is the 126th.)
I knew that she’s been fighting against cancer, I’ve been praying for her recovery.
I’m so sad!
Guin Saga is very popular in Japan. The every volume was bestselling. Many of the readers must be crying now.
May her soul rest in peace.

Thank you.
Kaoru Kurimoto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Manymen is right. That sentence should read, "Every volume was a best seller." You can also say, "Many of her readers," instead of, "..the readers".

That first sentence could also be reformatted, depending on how informal you want to be.

I would say, "Kaoru Kurimoto, the author of Guin Saga which I've written about in this blog on February 8th and April 10th, died on 26th." It's a bit of a run on sentence but passable if in an informal setting.

Everything else is perfect!
(#92 (permalink))
Old
Yuusuke (Offline)
Banned!

05-31-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Hi.
Would you correct my English, please?

"Kaoru Kurimoto"

Kaoru Kurimoto, the author of Guin Saga die on the 26th(here) I wrote about it in this blog on February 8th and April 10th, died on 26th.(move this)
It’s really shocking to me. I’ve been reading Guin Saga for many(you don't have to use many) years, and the story hasn’t finished. (The latest volume is the 126th.)
I knew that she’s been fighting against(don't need against) cancer, I’ve been praying for her recovery.
I’m so sad!
Guin Saga is very popular in Japan. The( no the) every volume was bestselling. Many of the readers must be crying now.
May her soul rest in peace.

Thank you.
Kaoru Kurimoto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just a few things here and there.

but it's fine. (:

(#93 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

05-31-2009, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manymen View Post
These are mistakes. There is no verb like "bestselling".
An offered revision could have been of more use instead of a observation of incorrect English usage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuusuke View Post

but it's fine. (:
Quote:
I knew that she’s been fighting against(don't need against) cancer,
I confess I missed this sentence with my revision. The corrected sentence should be:

"I knew that she had been battling cancer."

Fortunately, there is one woman in this world who can control me.

Unfortunately for you, she is not here.

"Ride for ruin, and the world ended!"

Last edited by Koir : 06-01-2009 at 12:01 AM.
(#94 (permalink))
Old
Yuusuke (Offline)
Banned!

06-01-2009, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koir View Post

"I knew that she had been battling cancer."
that or

I knew that she had been fighting cancer.

work too

(#95 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

06-01-2009, 01:11 PM

Thanks a lot, manymen and Lizh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manymen View Post
These are mistakes. There is no verb like "bestselling".
I see. I should have written “the story isn’t finished.” And “Every volume was a bestseller.”
Still I don’t see why I can’t write it “The every volume…”.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizh View Post
Manymen is right. That sentence should read, "Every volume was a best seller." You can also say, "Many of her readers," instead of, "..the readers".

That first sentence could also be reformatted, depending on how informal you want to be.

I would say, "Kaoru Kurimoto, the author of Guin Saga which I've written about in this blog on February 8th and April 10th, died on 26th." It's a bit of a run on sentence but passable if in an informal setting.

Everything else is perfect!
I see. You don’t say “many of the readers.” But still I don’t see why I can’t say “many of the readers”. Learning English is too difficult…

About “I’ve written about…”.
My text book says that when I mention about the date or when it happened, I can’t use a perfect form, but my text book may be incorrect again.

Thank you!

Hello, I may not understand English very well and I may lack words but I will try to understand you.

If you have questions about my post or Japanese customs, don't hesitate to ask.

I YamaP
(#96 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

06-01-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:

but it's fine. (:
Quote:
that or

I knew that she had been fighting cancer.

work too
Hi, Yuusuke.
It has got to be “Evey volume”. Not “the every volume”.
I shouldn’t have written “against” between “ fighting” and “cancer”.
I see.
Thanks!

Hello, I may not understand English very well and I may lack words but I will try to understand you.

I YamaP
(#97 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

06-01-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koir View Post
An offered revision could have been of more use instead of a observation of incorrect English usage.
Koir. I don't understand what this sentense means.

I YamaP
(#98 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

06-01-2009, 01:26 PM

Hi.
Please correct my English, please.

"Rain"

It’s raining in Kawasaki Japan. We’ve had many rainy days, but it’s not started a rainy season yet. We had nine rainy days last month (May).
I’ve heard there are many places which suffer a water shortage. The people who live in such places would think Japanese people are so lucky, but I think Japanese rain is too much. I always wish we could share this rain with people who need water, while I know it’s impossible. Seawater desalination would be cheaper than transportation of this rain water.

When my American friends came here, they didn’t bring umbrellas. It was hard to believe to me. Sure enough, it started raining while we were doing some sightseeing, so we had to take a taxi and take a shelter in an arcaded street.
I recommend you to bring an umbrella when you visit Japan. Of course you could buy one here if you want.

Thank you.

I YamaP
(#99 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

06-01-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Thanks a lot, manymen and Lizh.

I see. I should have written “the story isn’t finished.” And “Every volume was a bestseller.”
Still I don’t see why I can’t write it “The every volume…”.
The concept can't be expressed in that way because "the" and "every" have essentially the same purpose. They give the noun "volume" some definition so it makes sense as the subject of the sentence.

"The volume" - limited subject that refers to only one book (in this context). Only one book was a bestseller, the others did not sell a lot of copies.
"Every volume" - larger subject that includes each book in the series, but compares their individual sales amounts as bestselling books.

Quote:
I see. You don’t say “many of the readers.” But still I don’t see why I can’t say “many of the readers”. Learning English is too difficult…
"Many of her readers" is the correct form as she is an author. Looking at just the words, it's easy to think that people are reading *her* and not her books. But in this context her status as an author means that people read the books she writes, so they are "her readers".

Quote:
About “I’ve written about…”.
My text book says that when I mention about the date or when it happened, I can’t use a perfect form, but my text book may be incorrect again.

Thank you!
The proper expression is "I wrote about...". You talked about a similar subject in an earlier blog post, so it occured in the past.

Quote:
Koir. I don't understand what this sentense means.
Apologies. It was a very formal, restrained way of saying "Instead of just saying it's wrong, try correcting it so the person will understand more."

(#100 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

06-01-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Hi.
Please correct my English, please.

"Rain"

It’s raining in Kawasaki. We’ve had many rainy days, but the rainy season has not yet started. We had nine rainy days last month (May).
I’ve heard there are many places that are suffering a water shortage. The people who live in such places would think Japanese people were lucky, but personally I think the rain in Japan is too much. I always wish we could share this rain with people who need water, which I know is impossible. Seawater desalination would be cheaper than transportation of rain water.

When my American friends came here, they didn’t bring umbrellas. It was hard for me to believe. Sure enough, it started raining while we were sightseeing. We had to take a taxi and seek shelter in an arcaded street.
I recommend you to bring an umbrella when you visit Japan. Of course, you can always buy one here.

Thank you.
Rain falls on everyone equally. As you say, sharing rain with those who need it most would be a wonderful thing. You expressed it in a very poetic way.

It rained here as well last night. A relaxing sight.